We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Any advice re US ATC furloughs and reservations?

Illinois
reviews: 16
Any advice re US ATC furloughs and reservations?

I know it's early to see what's going to happen with the furloughs of Air Traffic Controllers, but I was just wondering if anyone had any suggestions for making reservations (which I need to do soon for next month).

I've seen one report that suggests delays are worst in Dallas-Fort Worth, Jacksonville, New York and Los Angeles and that there seem to be more delays on inbound than outbound flights.

I don't suppose the airline matters, but would you book a longer connection than usual? Currently I'm looking at flights to Seattle and have options to connect in DTW, MSP, DEN, ORD, DFW, and ATL. I'm probably skipping ATL since it's in completely the wrong direction. I'm guessing the furlough will likely have the same effect on the others?

Any suggestions would be great.

Sunnyvale...
Destination Expert
for San Jose
reviews: 96
1. Re: Any advice re US ATC furloughs and reservations?

Best advice? Stay calm.

Make your reservations, have travel insurance, be flexible (long connections and start way early each day) and stay calm.

Or don't travel within the US and avoid the nonsense.

Review the terms of Public Law 112-25, signed August 2, 2011 and see how the primary strategy employed has already been seen for 4+ years. It is the dumbest law ever, made to play chicken with a Congress that wasn't supposed to give in. President wins, people lose. Congress wins, people lose. No matter, Congress gets blamed and the people lose. Per Alinsky's "Rules for Radicals," the goal is to get the general population worked up with panic and anger, and on the verge of snapping. So either you go along and get panic'd, angry and snapping, or you stay calm because there's more coming. The media gleefully participates to hype things in order to help you panic, get angry and start snapping. Why the airports won't shut off CNN is beyond me.

My advice: stay off the psychiatric meds even though that's the new fad for coping.

Edited: 5:53 pm, April 22, 2013
NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
reviews: 18
2. Re: Any advice re US ATC furloughs and reservations?

My advice--make sure you are booked on one ticket from your initial destination to your final one. This way the airline has some responsibility if you are late, miss a flight etc. etc. Two separate tickets and you may be buying a whole new ticket. I would also leave longer times. However, today is only the first workday, It is hard to see what the new norm will be.

Gambrills, MD
Destination Expert
for Fussen
reviews: 99
3. Re: Any advice re US ATC furloughs and reservations?

Also they are advising people to reserve flights as early in the morning as possible, because delays will only build during the day.

Illinois
4. Re: Any advice re US ATC furloughs and reservations?

Oh, I'm definitely not panicking. Definitely staying off the psych meds. Makes sense to leave early in the day.

I have yet to buy separate tickets. The connection city will just depend on the airline.

I usually give my mother a 2 hour connection. Would 3 be a better idea?

Hard to get from IL to Seattle without traveling within the US...

Romford, United...
reviews: 23
5. Re: Any advice re US ATC furloughs and reservations?

Got the same problem-next week flying from California to Europe with a connecting flight(only one per day) in Chicago,had allowed only 70 mins for connecting flight in ORD(yes I know that seems ridiculous now!!!) only thing I can do is stay calm,don't panic and contact the airline the day before flying to find out what they have(if any?) in the way of contingency planning as much I like Chicago would rather not get stuck in the airport or a hotel for 24hrs on route

Ps also got a flight booked and paid for 4 hours after my original arrival in Europe with a different airline which might go down the swanny as well

Doncha just love air travel!!!

Illinois
6. Re: Any advice re US ATC furloughs and reservations?

Well, I can't say that I love it, but it does make it easier to get to far away places. (I certainly don't get enough time off to spend a week getting to the UK and a week getting back by ship...)

TN
reviews: 4
7. Re: Any advice re US ATC furloughs and reservations?

Good post /perspective Darthanonymous!

8. Re: Any advice re US ATC furloughs and reservations?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:16 am, April 24, 2014