We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Lufthansa "K class" tickets & Mileage Plus credit

Budapest, Hungary
reviews: 3
Lufthansa "K class" tickets & Mileage Plus credit

United MP travelers should be aware that certain Lufthansa tickets now accrue ZERO United miles for all travel, including those (long and painful) trans-Atlantic flights. Other postings note that this is a recent change, and that certain ticket classes (e.g., K class) have been moved from the middle to the bottom of Lufthansa's class of services.

These are NOT cheap tickets, but moderately prices compared to the other flight options.

I recently flew Lufthansa from BUD-BOS via FRA and back and was shocked to get zero UA MP miles for the whole itinerary. If you drill through all the websites, you then see that any ticket fare class not listed gets zero credit.

This gap should be listed UP FRONT, in big bold red letters if possible. I certainly would have flown another carrier if I had been warned.

Just to add to the frustration, Lufthansa feels the need to further penalize what they consider these "bargain basement" fare classes (they were not). On my flight home, there was an earlier connection out of Frankfurt with empty seats. I got to the gate in plenty of time, and asked to be wait-listed. The agent said that punishment for my "K class" fare included ZERO change options, including making me wait an additional 4 hours in Frankfurt while the earlier plane left half empty. Follow-up with Lufthansa Customer Service later reconfirmed this.

If you watch your miles at all -- or if you want even a shred of human dignity while traveling -- AVOID LUFTHANSA.

80 replies to this topic
Aluthgama, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Bentota, Beruwala, Sri Lanka
reviews: 7
1. Re: Lufthansa "K class" tickets & Mileage Plus credit

You got what you paid for. MP miles is solely UA's business - not LH's.

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
reviews: 5
2. Re: Lufthansa "K class" tickets & Mileage Plus credit

>> If you watch your miles at all -- or if you want even a shred of human dignity while traveling -- AVOID LUFTHANSA. <<

What a ridiculous statement!

You've just learned, the hard way, that it is the passenger's responsibility to check the mileage accrual for the fare bucket in his/her FF program BEFORE booking. What does it matter if only mileage eligible buckets are listed and then immediately below is a statement saying all other fare classes earn zero? Had you checked beforehand, or read the page properly, it would have been clear that the K bucket doesn't earn miles in MileagePlus. In this case, K tickets earn zero credit in MP, but they do earn 50% in Miles & More, so that's not Lufty's problem.

You also obviously didn't check the fare rules for the K bucket, which (from the LH site) is clearly the cheapest (or one of the two cheapest) and therefore most restrictive buckets regarding schedule changes.

Seattle, Washington
reviews: 91
3. Re: Lufthansa "K class" tickets & Mileage Plus credit

This gap should be listed UP FRONT, in big bold red letters if possible. I certainly would have flown another carrier if I had been warned.

>>>>>>>>>>>

An airline cannot warn every passenger about everything that may upset that passenger. And even if this had been listed in "big bold red letters", I guarantee many people wouldn't even read that. I understand you are upset; I think everyone who flies at all has run into this problem, but after the first time, you learn it's your responsibility to check.

4. Re: Lufthansa "K class" tickets & Mileage Plus credit

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 12:05 am, April 23, 2013

Seattle, Washington
reviews: 91
5. Re: Lufthansa "K class" tickets & Mileage Plus credit

Surprising to hear so many trolls supporting this trend

<<<<<<<<

That's a tremendously rude response and totally distorts the accurate information you were given.

Edited: 2:52 pm, April 22, 2013
NomadicForever
reviews: 16
6. Re: Lufthansa "K class" tickets & Mileage Plus credit

I wonder who the troll is here?

Not another shabnam, roshy or whatever?

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
reviews: 51
7. Re: Lufthansa "K class" tickets & Mileage Plus credit

Lufthansa is leading the charge to devalue miles, apparently as a strategy to punish travelers enough for them to upgrade from Lufthansa's overpriced mid-fare tickets to very overpriced full fares.

Surprising to hear so many trolls supporting this trend, saying simply "fine-print caveat emptor."

Lufthansa are hardly "leading the charge" for as long as I've cared for airline miles (the last 12yrs or so) some of the schemes have been offering very reduced or zero miles.

I have to agree with others, if warnings were displayed for every conceivable situation then nobody would read them or be able to take note of the important ones. I always take a look at the tables to find out what I can expect to earn on my fares and make sure I'm not disappointed, particularly if I need those miles.

You may be new here but just because people respond with answers you don't like doesn't mean they're trolls. I think you've got very reasonable and considered responses, IMO.

Irvine, California
8. Re: Lufthansa "K class" tickets & Mileage Plus credit

I agree. Flew FRA-LAX earlier this month. They would not put me on the earlier flight unless I paid $250 re-booking fee and fare difference. I will avoid lufthansa.

Aluthgama, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Bentota, Beruwala, Sri Lanka
reviews: 7
9. Re: Lufthansa "K class" tickets & Mileage Plus credit

So you wanted special treatment?

South Pole
reviews: 38
10. Re: Lufthansa "K class" tickets & Mileage Plus credit

"They would not put me on the earlier flight unless I paid $250 re-booking fee and fare difference"

another pax who doesn't understand what 'non changeable/non refundable' means.

Reply to: Lufthansa "K class" tickets & Mileage Plus credit
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted