We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Who booked with Qatar this afternoon - ie very good prices

newcastle upon tyne
reviews: 99
Who booked with Qatar this afternoon - ie very good prices

I booked & paid £297 for a return flight, Heathrow to Bangkok in January 2014 this afternoon, before the Qatar website was closed for maintenance.

There's a lot of online debate on various forums now, whether Qatar will honour the flights they have sold.

Just curious who else booked flights at great prices with them today

Liverpool, UK
reviews: 13
1. Re: Who booked with Qatar this afternoon - ie very good prices

"There's a lot of online debate on various forums now, whether Qatar will honour the flights they have sold."

A lot could depend on what communication you've had from Qatar in terms of where you stand in respect of contract law - £297 is a great price and clearly a mistake and I wouldn't be surprised if Qatar refuse to honour it in the hope you're not prepared to fight a legal battle. Let us now what happens.

newcastle upon tyne
2. Re: Who booked with Qatar this afternoon - ie very good prices

Qatar Airways have confirmed my purchase of the flight tickets by email, & have also issued my e-tickets for my flights.

Once they have sold a ticket & accepted your payment, can an airline then refuse to honour it ?

Liverpool, UK
3. Re: Who booked with Qatar this afternoon - ie very good prices

"Once they have sold a ticket & accepted your payment, can an airline then refuse to honour it ?" - Not if the "contract" is governed by UK law but I'm not sure whether Qatar is governed by UK law or not, it will be in the terms & conditions somewhere which law applies.

Regardless of the legal position they could still refuse to honour it in the hope that you're not prepared for a legal fight.

Liverpool, UK
4. Re: Who booked with Qatar this afternoon - ie very good prices

jayne - I found this on the Qatar (uk) website

"The Terms and Conditions of this Website and the materials contained within it shall be governed and construed in accordance with the laws of England and Wales. The English courts shall have non-exclusive jurisdiction to adjudicate any disputes, which may arise as a result. You agree that QATAR AIRWAYS reserves the right to bring an action against you in any country it deems appropriate."

Hope they honour that bargain fare.

newcastle upon tyne
5. Re: Who booked with Qatar this afternoon - ie very good prices

Thanks Tom for your advice. I'm just annoyed I didn't book the business class return for £424 :).

Will be interesting to see how many other people bought flights with Qatar Airways today, & whether all our purchases will be honoured.

Poulton-le-Fylde, UK
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
reviews: 61
6. Re: Who booked with Qatar this afternoon - ie very good prices

"Generally, if you enter into a contract for goods which a company fails or refuses to deliver, then a breach of contract occurs and you can look to the company for damages (being the cost of having to buy the goods elsewhere). But where it is clear that a mistake has been made, the law will not allow one person to benefit as a result."

and

"where the mistake is not clear, the company should be bound to honour the contract. But consumers also have to be aware that if something seems too good to be true, it probably is, and a company shouldn’t to be bound by what are clearly typing errors. I think the law has the right balance in these situations."

Source: …which.co.uk/consumer-rights/…

Good Luck!

Seattle, Washington
reviews: 85
7. Re: Who booked with Qatar this afternoon - ie very good prices

Once they have sold a ticket & accepted your payment, can an airline then refuse to honour it ?

>>>>>>>>>>

This is often a debate on Flyertalk.com, when airlines post obvious mistake fares. Usually, there is some clause somewhere that allows them to cancel the tickets. And in the past, airlines have refused to honor these mistake fares, and have cancelled the tickets and issued refunds.

I checked their webpage, which is working for me, and did a dummy booking. Leaving 25 April 2013 LHR-BKK 289.05 GBP, return 1 May 2013 BKK-LHR 183 GPB. So, maybe these aren't mistakes?

Edited: 5:00 pm, April 21, 2013
Poulton-le-Fylde, UK
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
reviews: 61
8. Re: Who booked with Qatar this afternoon - ie very good prices

Yes Gracie, but that is £472 return which is a realistic cheap "regular" fare but £297 is a ridiculously cheap fare. The price for January 2014, the OP's dates, is £697 which is more like the regular fare.

Warks.England
Destination Expert
for Myanmar, Yangon (Rangoon), Ngapali, Tossa de Mar
reviews: 210
9. Re: Who booked with Qatar this afternoon - ie very good prices

TG had a glitch many moons age with F at less than economy fares on LHR/BKK return.

They cancelled the bookings and made a full refund.

(perhaps it was that damn noise from the adjacent island this morning that put a glitch in the Qatar pricing software)

London, United...
10. Re: Who booked with Qatar this afternoon - ie very good prices

would be really interested to hear if people get their prices honoured. was looking at booking with qatar today but didnt get around to it.