We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Airport Hotel for Charles De Gaulle? or Heathrow?

London, England
Destination Expert
for Solo Travel
reviews: 22
Airport Hotel for Charles De Gaulle? or Heathrow?

Due to the way our tickets for Madagascar are priced, instead of taking the Eurostar from London to Paris, we have to fly into CDG and transfer there. (Flying on Air Chance)

The two options seem to be: a. fly into CDG the evening before our morning flight and stay in an airport hotel at/near CDG or b. stay the night at a Heathrow hotel and catch the connecting flight at 6.40 am.

Much as we like Paris, as long as we have to arrive at CDG, we would rtaher not try to go from CDG to Paris and back the night before a 3 week trip to Madagascar.

The airport hotels at CDG seem less pleasant (and more expensive) that the Heathrow options, but I haven't been to CDG in many years.

Please could the forum help us figure this out? We would prefer to pay around a £100/117 Euros or less for the hotel although could go higher. The only hotel I could find at CDG airport seemed to be £285 and not that good.

I'm not certain what is available at Heathrow.

Thank you in advance.

13 replies to this topic
UK
reviews: 77
1. Re: Airport Hotel for Charles De Gaulle? or Heathrow?

CDG and Paris are much closer to CDG than LHR, so stay either in Paris or CDG. Suppose your flight out of LHR is severely delayed or cancelled? Better to get there at your own leisure when you can take corrective action if there are hold ups.

Paris forum probably a better place to ask about where to stay than here.

Manchester, United...
2. Re: Airport Hotel for Charles De Gaulle? or Heathrow?

If you're not bothered about a particular hotel try Hotwire. You can get a 4 Star hotel for as little as £45.

I've done it many times staying at the likes of Crown Plaza, Novotel, Holiday Inn(M4).

If you've never used hotwire before just beware there are fees on top of the base price shown. However these are made very clear before you even enter credit card details. Stick with 4 star and you won't go far wrong.

I'm sure it will work just the same for CDG but I don't have any personal experience of that.

Check out www.betterbidding.com for a list of hotels hotwire use.

www.hotwire.com

Manchester, United...
3. Re: Airport Hotel for Charles De Gaulle? or Heathrow?

Sorry, my previous post was relating to hotels at LHR. I'm sure you picked that up though

London, United...
4. Re: Airport Hotel for Charles De Gaulle? or Heathrow?

If you are flying out of CDg, stay at a CDg hotel and go the night before.

Quite simply if your flight is at 6.40, you are probably going to need to be at the airport for 4.40 am latest to drop bags etc, which is going to be a heck of an early rise. Possibly even earlier, they may recommend three hours check in.

Personally I would avoid that, stay at a hotel close to CDg and not start my holiday by getting up in the middle of the night:))

London, England
Destination Expert
for Solo Travel
5. Re: Airport Hotel for Charles De Gaulle? or Heathrow?

Froggy,

That is why we were thinking of staying at Heathrow. There won't be any bags to drop (we fly carry-on) but you are right. Even if we stayed at an hotel in Heathrow we would probably still need to check in by 4.30 am.

It is just that the hotels near CDG have such dire reviews.....and most seem to rely on shuttles to the airport.

What we really need is something basic, cheap and in the airport!

Thank you for your help.

Has anyone on here stayed at a decent hotel very close to CDG?

UK
reviews: 77
6. Re: Airport Hotel for Charles De Gaulle? or Heathrow?

It is just that the hotels near CDG have such dire reviews.....and most seem to rely on shuttles to the airport.

------

I'm sure they also have taxis in France.indeed, I know they do.:-)

Again, I suggest you ask on the Paris forum. There must surely be *some* decent hotels nearby. Also, and you do not say what time your flight to Madagascar goes, but it seems to me from the timing that its pretty early. So why chance a breakdown or other issue at Heathrow meaning its very late or cancelled and so you miss the flight from CDG?

reviews: 5
7. Re: Airport Hotel for Charles De Gaulle? or Heathrow?

On my second trip to london in 2010 we stayed a Days Hotel (Days Inn Chain) near the hounslow Central tube stop on our last night. Not far from heathrow. Cheapest and larges room I have ever had in london or Paris. website: daysinn.co.uk/hotels/…

Edited: 4:51 pm, April 21, 2013
Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
reviews: 5
8. Re: Airport Hotel for Charles De Gaulle? or Heathrow?

Leagle, I too would fly to CDG the night before and overnight there. I presume all the flights are on the same ticket, so if you did miss the onward to Madagascar you'd be rebooked onto the next flight with available seats. But that next flight would I suspect be at least a day later thus spoiling your vacation. If the flights are going to be separately ticketed then definitely fly to CDG the night before.

Regarding hotels at Heathrow, AF uses T4 which isn't well located for cheap hotels. There's the on terminal Hilton which is expensive, and the Jury's Inn at Hatton Cross which can be reached by the 482 and 490 buses within the Heathrow free bus zone. The other hotels are north or west of LHR and would require multiple buses or the Hotel Hoppa (£4.50 pp each way) to get to T4.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
reviews: 14
9. Re: Airport Hotel for Charles De Gaulle? or Heathrow?

I too would stay at CDG the night before the flight. Every traveller hopes for a smooth journey on departure day, but Heathrow can be a b*gger at times, as you know, and if you've got three weeks in Madagascar, you likely don't want to start things off with a less than brilliant journey.

Have a look at booking.com for hotels near CDG. There is an Ibis Budget at Roissy that might not be four star but I suspect would be acceptable for a short stay before your holiday.

Stay near the airport in Paris, and be ready in the morning to move it, move it (couldn't resist, so sorry) to Madagascar.

London, England
Destination Expert
for Solo Travel
10. Re: Airport Hotel for Charles De Gaulle? or Heathrow?

Thank you all.

We have booked a 6 pm flight out of Heathrow to CDG (the 2nd to last flight of the day not the last; my mama didn't raise no fools). We will stay the night at CDG and be there the next morning for the flight around 10.30 am to Antananarivo.

I still haven't decided about hotels, but will get on it in the next few days.

The trip is in September/October, but we have to book the flights and hotels now as it is a popular time.

I am so looking forward to dancing with ring-tailed lemurs, but I shall be disappointed if we do not see any penguins (or a giraffe or zebra or lion.....)

Edited: 11:16 am, April 23, 2013
Reply to: Airport Hotel for Charles De Gaulle? or Heathrow?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted