We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Skipping departure, but hoping on at connection?

Skipping departure, but hoping on at connection?

I have a flight from Glasgow, to London, to Calgary to Victoria BC Canada.

My question is, can I catch my flight at London, instead of traveling to Glasgow? I will already be in London, so it seems silly to travel back up to Glasgow (round trip flight), catch my flight, connect in London, then carry on...when I'll already be in London. Is this possible?! Do I have to inform the airline that I'm doing this?!

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas, Washington DC, County Donegal, Western Ireland
reviews: 50
1. Re: Skipping departure, but hoping on at connection?

No, it's not possible. When you don't show up for your flight from Glasgow the airline will cancel the whole thing and treat you as a no-show. It's a very bad idea, really.

Chicago, Illinois
reviews: 75
2. Re: Skipping departure, but hoping on at connection?

As poster 1 says absolutely do not skip the first leg. You will be a no show and they will cancel the rest if the trip. If you don't want the first leg, call the airline and change your itinerary, although be aware there may be a change fee even though you are deleting a leg.

3. Re: Skipping departure, but hoping on at connection?

I was wondering is that was the case. Thank you for sharing! That being said, any advice for traveling to Glasgow from London? Train, bus etc?

London, United...
reviews: 22
4. Re: Skipping departure, but hoping on at connection?

No, you can't do it, if you do no show up in Glasgow and check in and board, the airline will immediately cancel all remaining legs of your flight, inc the return, as you will be classed as a no show who has missed departure. You forfeit the lot with no recompense.

The only way round it is to call the airline and see if you can change the ticket to a depart from London flight, however this will depend on the terms and conditions of your ticket, many do not permit changes, or the cost of change is so high, it makes it not worth doing. However you do not state what type of ticket you have bought, and some are fully flexible and changeable ( ie business class typically) and the more expensive economy tickets.

So read the terms and conditions associated with change, and if changes permitted, speak to the airline, and request the ticket is changed for a london departure. Note this may be much more expensive than a Glasgow departure, as airline pricing is not simply mileage based.

However do not simply not turn up in Glasgow, as your ticket will be cancelled and you will not be able to reinstate it.

5. Re: Skipping departure, but hoping on at connection?

I'm glad I asked!

My flight from GLA to LHR is British Airways, and my flight from LHR to Calgary is Air Canada. I bought my ticket through expedia, which states that changes are possible, however will cost money through the airline. This being said, Which airline do I call, AC or BA?

London, United...
reviews: 22
6. Re: Skipping departure, but hoping on at connection?

I think you will need to call Expedia, I am assuming it's one ticket, but it just might not be and you might hit lucky, as you could then cancel the first leg.

So call Expedia, ask if it's all one ticket or two seperate tickets, if two seperate cancel the first ( assuming you don't want to fly back to Glasgow) or if it's one ticket, tell them you wish to amend it to depart London and to confirm costs.

This is where life is easier if you book with the airline direct:))

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
reviews: 14
7. Re: Skipping departure, but hoping on at connection?

In a situation like this, I'd have a word with both airlines. To be honest, I'd not bother with BA in North America, because (as much as I like flying with the airline) their phone agents are not necessarily as well informed about the terms and conditions of ticket type and conditions of carriage as BA staff in the UK.

Call BA in the UK: 011 44 844 493 0787 between 0630 - 2000 BST (PST +8 hours). The number does work from a Canadian landline, I called it a couple of weeks ago. If you have a cell phone only, try 011 44 191 490 7901 if the other number isn't accessible.

Depending on the cabin you've booked, the change fee might be $C275, plus any change in fare. If after discussing the matter with the airlines and you do have to travel back to Glasgow to start the journey home, book the train from London Euston to Glasgow Central at www.virgintrains.co.uk as early as you can for the best choice of train times and fares. The coach journey is a long'un and frankly not terribly comfortable.

Was the BA flight from YVR to LHR (then on to GLA) not an option with Expedia?

8. Re: Skipping departure, but hoping on at connection?

Well I was able to change the flight, and now I leave from London instead of Glasgow. Had to pay the change fee, but it was done, through Expedia, which was very helpful! Great customer service

9. Re: Skipping departure, but hoping on at connection?

I made a rookie mistake as this is my first time booking internationally. I booked a round trip from Victoria BC, to Glasgow, hence why I had to depart Glasgow. However I paid the change fee and now leave London. I should have booked 2 separate flights, departure and return separately. I learnt my lesson, and will most likely book directly through the airlines, and be more careful with departures and returns!

Thank you thank you for all the tips and help everyone!

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
reviews: 14
10. Re: Skipping departure, but hoping on at connection?

That's a good outcome, well done.

For your next journey, you need not book separate flights. Go to www.britishairways.com (Canadian page) and choose multi city for the booking. Yes, you've already got flights sorted out for your upcoming trip, but you might be surprised what you can do on your own with a bit of time and patience. The AC website also has the multi city functionality, and you can cherry pick when you want to travel and with what connections.

One thing to keep in mind when booking flights like yours is the minimum connection times. They truly are the minimum, and often calculated to include no unforeseen circumstances, which isn't necessarily how things operate in reality. In short, allow more time than you think you might need. Better to have time for a cup of tea at the airport than miss a flight by five minutes and have to go through the aggro of rebooking.