We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Transfer from Air Canada to British Airways

Transfer from Air Canada to British Airways

Hi All!

I am flying from Victoria, BC into Glasgow, Scotland in the summer and am a little considered with my connecting flight in Toronto: I have 2 hours in between my connection from Air Canada to British Airways in Toronto. My questions are: Is 2 hours enough time? Do I need to pick up my luggage from my last flight or will it be transfered? Do I go through customs when I am boarding my flight (British Airways) into Glasgow?

Any and all advice/help would be awesome! Thanks in advance!

16 replies to this topic
Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
reviews: 14
1. Re: Transfer from Air Canada to British Airways

If you book a single ticket from Victoria to GLA then you shouldn't have to collect and recheck bags at Pearson; your bags should also be checked through for the BA sectors from YYZ to LHR and LHR to GLA.

You will go through passport control at T5 Flight Connections at LHR. To that end, please let us know how long you have between arrival time and departure time at that very busy airport.

Your flight from YYZ will almost certainly arrive at one of the satellite terminal bulidings, with the flight to GLA departing from the main terminal building. After disembarking, follow the signs to Flight Connections and Arrivals, which will include a short ride on a free transit train.

At Flight Connections you will go through UK passport control (ensure you have a pen on hand for the UK landing cards) and a security check before going through to departures. Your flight to GLA will probably depart from a low numbered A gate.

You will walk through Customs at GLA airport, a 10 second strolll.

2. Re: Transfer from Air Canada to British Airways

I did book a single ticket from Victoria to GLA. I used Expedia online, will this change anything?

I'm sorry I forgot to mention that my stop over in London is only 1h 30m! I think I'm more concerned about this connection than anything!

Arrive LHR at 8:35am, depart at 10:05am (on a Friday)...am I totally screwed?!

3. Re: Transfer from Air Canada to British Airways

If I miss my connector, will I be able to fly the same day, are they frequent trips?

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
4. Re: Transfer from Air Canada to British Airways

Ninety minutes at LHR is tight, but you are protected with a single ticket. T5 Flight Connections is likely to be busy at that hour, so keep a watch for the Time Critical Departures board at FC, which may show the departure gate for your flight to GLA. If the gate is posted and there is a queue, see if you can find a BA staff member to expedite the necessaries.

If you miss the flight to GLA because of a late departure from YYZ or late arrival at LHR, BA will work with you to find a seat on the next available flight. The good news is that there are three more flights to GLA on Fridays, and if the worst happens, ideally there will be availability on one of those filghts.

5. Re: Transfer from Air Canada to British Airways

In Toronto, you will need to transfer from Terminal 1 (AC) to Terminal 3 (BA) via curbside bus shuttle. (There is usually a cable car linking the two, however, that us closed through October.) If your bag is checked to your final destination, you will not need to pick it up at all in Toronto.

Your time is fine; I would try to avoid having to connect in Toronto next time, given that there are so many shorter options to get to the UK via Vancouver, Calgary or Edmonton. Even connecting via Montréal or Ottawa are simpler and within the same building.

You didn't ask, however, be aware that if you have a return journey along the same routing, it is handled differently when you land back in Toronto: Although your bag may be checked through to AC, you will in fact have to pick up your bag on arrival in Toronto from the UK; clear it through Canada customs; drop your bag at the transfer desk outside the customs hall (BA - Terminal 3); and then take yourself via shuttle bus to Terminal 1 (AC).

Addlestone, United...
reviews: 24
6. Re: Transfer from Air Canada to British Airways

Unless you have a through ticket covering the flights from Victoria - Toronto - London - Glasgow it is unlikely that AC which through check your bag as you are travelling with different companies. Minimum connecting time at Heathrow is 60 mins but as you do not have to collect your bag this is fine. Should anything go wrong there are another 7 flights to Glasgow Mon-Fri. If the flight is late leaving Toronto you will find that you will have already been re-booked onto the next available connection. On arrival you will clear Immigration and hand baggage security. This MUST be done 35 mins before your departure or you will not be allowed through.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
7. Re: Transfer from Air Canada to British Airways

'... thre are another 7 flights to Glasgow ...' Only three of which depart from LHR; the rest are flights from LCY and LGW.

The good news is that Rachel has booked a through ticket; she is flying back via YYC (Calgary).

8. Re: Transfer from Air Canada to British Airways

Hi I work for BA in check in. If your booking is all on one thru ticket ie Victoria to Glasgow to Toronto then your bags will go all the way thru customs will be cleared in Toronto. If you are on separate tickets then bags will go to Glasgow only and customs cleared in Glasgow to re check in for Toronto. 2 hours is plenty of time to connect

Edited: 3:45 pm, April 21, 2013
9. Re: Transfer from Air Canada to British Airways

Thanks again for all the advice and response.

I am assuming I have a through ticket as on my printed itinerary it reads as "1 ticket".

I have 1h 30m layover from LHR to GLA, arriving at terminal 3, and departing from terminal 5. I have arranged plans for in case I miss this connection and have to wait for another available flight to GLA. Fingers crossed that I make this connection!

10. Re: Transfer from Air Canada to British Airways

90 mins is generally the minimum connection time between terminals. Also what we do in T5 resources permitting if your delayed in any way we have our staff to meet you to get you to your next flight if you have a very short connection time. But obviously if its less than 30 mins we would rebook you autonatically to the next avail Glasgow flight

Reply to: Transfer from Air Canada to British Airways
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted