We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Lufthansa Strike-Should I be Concerned?

Manchester...
reviews: 19
Lufthansa Strike-Should I be Concerned?

Hi all,

I have a ticket on LH on May 12-13(JFK-FRA-FCO). i was checking on my seat on their website when i saw the post about a potential strike on 4/22/13. Ive never had to deal with flying on an airline on strike yet,and wondering if I should be concerned as my flight is only a few weeks away? What should I expect? If my flight is cancelled,will they put me on another airline?

I did book through a third party buyer,but they still have to provide me with a flight from point A to point B,correct?

Thanks for any help,

Stacey

Fortaleza, CE
reviews: 360
1. Re: Lufthansa Strike-Should I be Concerned?

reuters.com/article/2013/04/19/us-lufthansa-… "Warning strike." A one-day walkout to put pressure on negotiations that are ongoing?

"I did book through a third party buyer,but they still have to provide me with a flight from point A to point B,correct?" By "they," I assume you mean the third party buyer. A Web site or travel agent? You've looked at the terms in the agreement you got when you paid? Have you phoned them? If there is, in fact, a strike affecting your travel, maybe you'd get a refund if the ticket is not usable. I don't know that they'd guarantee you passage on another carrier, unless Lufthansa guarantees this for ticket holders. Seems a little early to panic, and presumably your tickets are non-refundable, so no consideration of buying on another carrier. Do you have travel insurance?

Edited: 12:01 pm, April 20, 2013
Edinburgh, United...
reviews: 15
2. Re: Lufthansa Strike-Should I be Concerned?

If your flight is cancelled *the airline* has offer the choice between a refund and rerouting but since you booked with a 3rd party you would normally be expected to sort things out with through them. It's definitely a case where I'd much rather be dealing directly with the airline but too late for that now so you'll just have to make the best of it should the worst case scenario occur. That said, definitely too early to panic yet.

Stuttgart, Germany
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
reviews: 75
3. Re: Lufthansa Strike-Should I be Concerned?

A one day strike in April will not cause you problems in mid May. There have been a few such strikes but they are only for one day, so unless one is announced for your travel date then you do not have to worry

Italy
Destination Expert
for Livigno, Lombardy
reviews: 139
4. Re: Lufthansa Strike-Should I be Concerned?

The potential strike is on Monday and you're not flying until May so the likelihood that they will strike on the day you're flying is highly unlikely.

Manchester...
reviews: 19
5. Re: Lufthansa Strike-Should I be Concerned?

Whew...I feel a little better. yes,I know Im panicking early but i like to be prepared.That being said,I called Lufthansa,who said the same thing about the strike as you all have said above,and they also said they would rebook me on another Lufthansa,partner,or alternate airline if a strike were to occur on my flight day,regardless of the ticket being purchased on a third party site. So,I feel better:)

Thanks all!

Boston...
reviews: 25
6. Re: Lufthansa Strike-Should I be Concerned?

We are unfortunately ticketed for a LH flight on Monday from VCE -FRA -BOS. We were just notified the flight from VCE to FRA is cancelled. we talked to United (who we booked thru) and the best they can offer is Milan - Newark to Bos on Tuesday. We took it since they said all flights on their partners out of Europe are sold out and we are a party of five. Does this sound right? We do have trip insurance which hopefully will pay for train and hotel in Milan.

Exeter, United...
reviews: 36
7. Re: Lufthansa Strike-Should I be Concerned?

As you have taken it there is little point in asking. Matters might change. Just keep in touch with your carrier.

London, United...
reviews: 23
8. Re: Lufthansa Strike-Should I be Concerned?

I certainly would not be concerned about a strike in April, if flying in may, just keep a watch on the situation.

Boston...
reviews: 25
9. Re: Lufthansa Strike-Should I be Concerned?

Dcweymouth yes we did take it but they said we can keep in touch and it is still possible to change if something else comes up. I guess I was looking for reassurance since this is obviously unexpected and throwing a wrench in our plans. I was wondering if I should have pushed more (or if I still should). The only preferable flights I could find available were on air France, not their alliance, and they were 2700/pp. just frustrating and a new experience for us.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
reviews: 11
10. Re: Lufthansa Strike-Should I be Concerned?

In Europe, a one-day strike is a bargaining tool, and it lasts for one day. The fact that there is a one-day strike in March is totally irrelevant for travel in April.