We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Different spelling in ONE passport - dealing with airlines

Shanghai, China
Different spelling in ONE passport - dealing with airlines

Hello,

Hello,

I am a Lithuanian citizen, and my surname in my passport is spelled as “CHELOVEK”. My daughter is a Chinese passport holder, and in her passport the surname has as many as three versions: (1) in Chinese characters, (2) in pinyin (i.e. Latinisation of Chinese characters) as “QILUOWEIKE” (both (1) and (2) are on the page with her photograph), and (3) as “CHELOVEK” on an insert on the page of “Observation”, after words “The name of the bearer of this passport is also spelled as”.

By the way, her Chinese birth certificate contains only two versions: in Chinese characters and as “CHELOVEK”.

We are planning to travel together over several countries. All tickets for my daughter (she is 3 years old) are issued for the surname “CHELOVEK”. When selling the tickets, the agent assured me that the aforementioned insert in the passport with this spelling of our surname will eliminate any issues with any airlines. He even recommended using this very spelling to show that the baby is travelling with her father.

However, I would like to hear experienced opinions on this point (whether we can check in, cross borders, etc. smoothly, or I need to get some supportive documents, stamps from consulates, etc.). Thank you for your answers in advance.

1. Re: Different spelling in ONE passport - dealing with airlines

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 1:05 pm, April 20, 2013
Edited: 1:05 pm, April 20, 2013
Italy
Destination Expert
for Livigno, Lombardy
reviews: 127
2. Re: Different spelling in ONE passport - dealing with airlines

If Chelovek is clearly on the passport as well as the ticket there won't be a problem.

Shanghai, China
3. Re: Different spelling in ONE passport - dealing with airlines

Thank you, Chrella. So, do you mean that it should not be a concern even though the spelling "Chelovek", which also appears on the tickets, is indicated not on the photograph page (which is usually used for computer scanning), but on the "Observations" page, on an glued-in attachment after the words "The name of the bearer of this passport is also spelled as" and indication of the passport number?

South Pole
reviews: 39
4. Re: Different spelling in ONE passport - dealing with airlines

the notation in the observation page will take priority.

my partner changed her name during the life of her passport and the name change was notated on the observations page. we travelled the world for 6 years with this with no problems.

but most times u have to point this out to anyone checking.

Edited: 1:33 am, April 21, 2013
London, England
Destination Expert
for Solo Travel
reviews: 23
5. Re: Different spelling in ONE passport - dealing with airlines

One of my passports had the name I use every day as an AKA (also known as) on page 23 of the passport. My reservations were always made in the aka name as that was the name on my credit cards and other passport.

The only difficulty I ever had was that I could not check in on line or use the machines at the airport as a real person needed to confirm visually that the name on the ticket was the same as one of the names in the passport.

Be sure to leave extra time at the airport to check in in person.

Shanghai, China
6. Re: Different spelling in ONE passport - dealing with airlines

Thank you very much Chrella and Leagle! Good luck in your trips and everywhere!

7. Re: Different spelling in ONE passport - dealing with airlines

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, April 23, 2014