We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cleveland - Florence - Rome - Cleveland, cost?

Cleveland, Ohio
reviews: 50
Cleveland - Florence - Rome - Cleveland, cost?

We are planning to go to Italy in October 2013. We are pretty flexible on exact dates. I've been checking flights for a couple weeks with all different days (approx 10 day trip), they aren't changing much from about $1,300. Is this a normal/reasonable price to expect for Cleveland to Italy? We will travel United unless there is a huge price discount elsewhere b/c we want the miles.

Toronto, Canada
reviews: 31
1. Re: Cleveland - Florence - Rome - Cleveland, cost?

Not sure if worth the drive (or flight) to Toronto, but you could fly Air Transat from Toronto to Rome in October for under $1000. Of course, you won't be earning miles

Edited: 8:26 pm, April 19, 2013
Manchester...
reviews: 19
2. Re: Cleveland - Florence - Rome - Cleveland, cost?

Ive sworn by momondo.com ever since I got an awesome deal to Australia last year. I used to live in Cleveland,and I paid $700 RT to Paris and $800 to London...$1300 seems a bit high for the fall,but if you are flying in and out of one city that could be the problem. Would you consider flying RT to Rome and taking the train to/from Florence? As I am currently planning a trip to Rome next month,I understand the train is only a couplehrs and would probably be far cheaper than an open jaw ticket,but it would take some research.

Check out momondo though-also Air Canada,Lufthansa,US Airways,and Turkish Air are all Star Alliance partners,so you would be earning miles for United(Im flying Lufthansa).

Good luck!!

Cleveland, Ohio
3. Re: Cleveland - Florence - Rome - Cleveland, cost?

Thanks, I'll check that out. I'm not opposed to RT to Rome but that is showing over $1200 as well. Seems high for fall to me. Toronto is a bit of a drive, and when you add gas, parking and the travel it probably isn't worth it - but I'll keep my eyes on everything!

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Atlanta
reviews: 74
4. Re: Cleveland - Florence - Rome - Cleveland, cost?

Have you looked at flights from CVG?

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
reviews: 73
5. Re: Cleveland - Florence - Rome - Cleveland, cost?

If you could make it to Detroit then that would mean a one stop instead of two stop flight with Delta/KLM changing in Amsterdam open jaw to Florence returning from Rome FCO.

But as you say you want the United points. train from FCO to Florence is under 3 hours so it might be simpler to just fly round trip to Rome.

Cleveland, Ohio
6. Re: Cleveland - Florence - Rome - Cleveland, cost?

I tried all airports in the tri-state (Pittsburgh, Cincy, Detroit), all around $1200... if anyone sees something cheaper for October please message me! (Regardless of if I click the box to get notifications for thread posts via email, I don't get them). Thanks for your help, I'll keep checking - I try checking on different days and times of the week, flexible dates for travel, both in and out of Florence and Rome (or one city), etc.

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
reviews: 60
7. Re: Cleveland - Florence - Rome - Cleveland, cost?

$1200 is around what flights are showing now for September/October.

I am looking myself for flights to Europe from San Diego.

In general I'd not be in a great hurry to buy at that price but would wait until around July .

I say that because airlines are only now showing "sale" prices for summer travel so that "sales" for Fall won't be shown until probably summer. I put the word in quotes because I doubt if prices will come down by a lot but for some folks $100 lower may help.

Usually round trip Rome or round trip Milan will be least expensive.

In Italy trains are very inexpensive and easy to use and getting from city to city that way is very common!!

Loughborough...
reviews: 18
8. Re: Cleveland - Florence - Rome - Cleveland, cost?

There's little point in going to the extra expense of flying from Florence to Rome. The train only takes about an hour and a half, plus it's (no changes) direct and cheap.

Cleveland, Ohio
9. Re: Cleveland - Florence - Rome - Cleveland, cost?

Thanks everyone, I'll keep looking through july and see if anything comes down. Our plan is to fly from Cleveland into Florence, train to Rome, fly out of Rome back to Cleveland. Hopefully we'll catch a little break off the current prices.

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
reviews: 60
10. Re: Cleveland - Florence - Rome - Cleveland, cost?

It is usually less expensive to fly into Rome than into Florence because there are more flights available and folks have more choices.

The train is a very normal way to travel in Italy so flying round trip Rome and then training to and from Florence might really be the easiest least expensive way to go.