We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

BA world travelers plus

New York
reviews: 1
BA world travelers plus

Is paying 257 USD PLUS 10,000 avios for a one way upgrade on BA flying from NYC to LHR worth the money? I personally think it's crazy! ONE Way???? Has anyone else has this trouble using avios to upgrade? Thanks!

UK
reviews: 85
1. Re: BA world travelers plus

To Business (aka Club)? Yep. also, you'll get around 4,000 Avios for the flight so it only costs 6,000 net.

Llandudno North...
reviews: 17
2. Re: BA world travelers plus

Like Joe says if it's to club world, great value, if as the title of your post says it is to WT+ then no, you can get an upgrade at check-in, subject to availability for that price without the avios.

:-)

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
reviews: 53
3. Re: BA world travelers plus

Crazy bad or crazy good?

Personally to upgrade from the mediocre comfort or WT+ to a flat bed (and all the other perks) for $257 and 10k Avios is ridiculously good value when you consider one way Club World flights retail from anywhere up to $5000 one way. That said it is a PERSONAL choice, only you can decide the value and whether it's worth it.

Shenzhen, China
4. Re: BA world travelers plus

Not flown BA long haul for about 5 years mainly because their prices were always off the charts. Lately they seem to be discounting aplenty; 1 way Prem Ec from LHR to Sao P was just £490 last week. Pretty darn good.

I do know one thing; they cannot be worse than Virgin who have, in that same 5 year span, gone inexorably downhill.

New York
5. Re: BA world travelers plus

To clarify...it would be $257 USD and 10,000 Avios to upgrade oneway from WT to WT+. I've paid up to $125 on other airlines to upgrade to Economy Plus going from NYC to Europe, so I think BA is charging way too much...thoughts?

Are upgrades less expensive at check in time? Does it pay to reserve seats? Thanks to all for the info!

Madrid
reviews: 7
6. Re: BA world travelers plus

You can only upgrade Y/B/H bucket bookings with avios.You may or may not be able to upgrade at check in,but that would be cash only.

Madrid
7. Re: BA world travelers plus

If seats are available the cost of upgrade at the check in counter for JFK-LHR is usually $299 1 way.

Edinburgh, United...
reviews: 15
8. Re: BA world travelers plus

".it would be $257 USD and 10,000 Avios to upgrade oneway from WT to WT+. I've paid up to $125 on other airlines to upgrade to Economy Plus going from NYC to Europe, so I think BA is charging way too much...thoughts?"

They charge what they can get away with charging. Whether it's worth it depends on how high you value the extras that come with the service. Not really sure why you're being asked to pay cash, if your ticket is upgradable with points you shouldn't have a further charge.

Madrid
9. Re: BA world travelers plus

They charge what they can get away with charging. Whether it's worth it depends on how high you value the extras that come with the service. Not really sure why you're being asked to pay cash, if your ticket is upgradable with points you shouldn't have a further charge.

BA charge extra fuel surcharge.

Edinburgh, United...
reviews: 15
10. Re: BA world travelers plus

But the fuel surcharge is the same as far as I can tell. At least they quote the same on their website for WT and WT+ tickets (once you get to CW the charge increases).

Edited: 1:31 pm, April 20, 2013