We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Passenger asked to drop underwear to show surgery scars....

London, United...
reviews: 22
Passenger asked to drop underwear to show surgery scars....

dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2311124/Busines…

Quite intrusive, I do agree there should be a better way to do this,,,,

no
1. Re: Passenger asked to drop underwear to show surgery scars....

Wow

oldham, manchester
reviews: 7
2. Re: Passenger asked to drop underwear to show surgery scars....

I dont think that is too excessive.....Nice to know they are being thorough.

I can see the headlines now...

'Bomber gets on plane with bomb strapped to his waist by just telling security he had had a hip replacement'

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
reviews: 5
3. Re: Passenger asked to drop underwear to show surgery scars....

It does sound OTT, but as with all these stories there's only one side.

I have friends and co-workers with assorted metal plates and screws in their legs following accidents, and when they fly they all carry a medical certificate stating that fact. It doesn't avoid the glorious TSA pat down, but they say that it ensures respectful treatment.

Oxford, United...
reviews: 122
4. Re: Passenger asked to drop underwear to show surgery scars....

Just because someone says they've had a hip replacement doesn't mean they've had one. Even a doctors note would be pointless because they are probably easily forged. I am sure in cases like this he would have been in a private room, not in the queue with everyone else. And even if it was, he would be able to go somewhere more discreet. Typical Daily Mail, mountains and mole hills spring to mind.

danandnat is right about the potential headlines it could have been in a worse case scenario .....

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Atlanta
reviews: 73
5. Re: Passenger asked to drop underwear to show surgery scars....

'Bomber gets on plane with bomb strapped to his waist by just telling security he had had a hip replacement'

And an over-the-clothes pat-down would not reveal that while pulling down underwear would?? Sorry, I find this a stretch.

London, United...
6. Re: Passenger asked to drop underwear to show surgery scars....

Although I think for this guy no big deal, I do feel for certain more vulnerable people, ie young girls or boys, older ladies, etc with screws or whatever in their bodies, it could be quite intrusive, these are not docs or medical proffessionals, they are security staff on a relatively low wage, and I am just surprised there is not another way, with all the technology available. It could be quite distressing, for your average adult, fine, but the more vulnerable it concerns me that taking your knickers down is the only way.

7. Re: Passenger asked to drop underwear to show surgery scars....

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may repost if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 11:50 am, April 19, 2013
Italy
Destination Expert
for Livigno, Lombardy
reviews: 126
8. Re: Passenger asked to drop underwear to show surgery scars....

Unfortunately these are the times we live in and if they have any doubts about someone and the only way to check if they're telling the truth is to ask to see the scars then there's no choice.

NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
reviews: 17
9. Re: Passenger asked to drop underwear to show surgery scars....

FRoggy--most young boys or girls are flying with parents. If the parent is in the room with them, they shouldn't be traumatized. In terms of the elderly. If there was a newspaper article with my name and age, you would say "elderly" Yet neither I, nor friends who are older than me are dottering old ladies. Don't underestimate us. I think some of the indignant elderly you read about in the papers, just saw a good loophole to make a scene and make get some compensation.

( and compensation is the name of the game--hey this is off topic, but the father of the Boston bomber who was killed has announced that he is going to sue the US for his son's death !!!!!)

London, United...
10. Re: Passenger asked to drop underwear to show surgery scars....

Oh dear, I did not know that. That's awful...