We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

HELP -Airlines Cam Be A Pain!!!!

HELP -Airlines Cam Be A Pain!!!!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 3:35 pm, April 19, 2013
Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
reviews: 73
1. Re: HELP -Airlines Cam Be A Pain!!!!

Sorry but I don't blame the airlines for their response. Anyway business class have lie flat beds these days so asking for an upgrade to first is a little cheeky. A first class round trip to Australia from the UK I would imagine is around £20k, BC would be around £6k, maybe less. So you are asking for 40K of revenue lost by the airline.

I am sorry that you have this condition but I doubt any airline would accomodate you especially if you actually need to take up or are asking for 2 first class seats.

Maybe there's a charity that can help you fund your trip.

Nowy Sacz, Poland
Destination Expert
for Poland
reviews: 42
2. Re: HELP -Airlines Cam Be A Pain!!!!

Airlines are in business to make money. And we'd all like a no-cost upgrade from economy to first for us and our travel companion. Harsh? For sure, but why would you expect an airline to offer this facility?

I'm with Ronaldo, approach charities or pay the business class fare - many of the long haul airlines will give you a flat bed in business class - BA and Virgin among them - and most others have a lot of recilne. Watch what you get into - you don't want to be getting on and off the plane to change too often, and stopovers will make the journey even longer. Be aware, though, that in view of the assistance you need you'll most likely be amongst the last off the plane in the event of an emergency - most airlines will shift the maximum number of passengers in the shortest time, and with your problems you may find yourself at the back of that particular queue.

Final word of advice - although Virgin Upper Class is in many ways excellent - clubhouses, meals, service - it's business class, not first, but from your comments I want you to be aware that the flat beds are NOT soft. Also, they are curved. So you may not be comfortable on UC, VS, or any other airline using that sort of seating arrangement.

wirral
reviews: 68
3. Re: HELP -Airlines Cam Be A Pain!!!!

I sympathise but I think you are trying to use your disability to advantage.I stand by for accusations of heartless etc..But you appear to have an unusual disability problem and there are circumstances where you cannot get the services you require at non-disabled cost. You have to pay extra at home for services that other people don't need.So it must happen in the air too.Are you playing on your disability? If it is that important for you to fly a route with a horizontal bed then pay for it. The airline can sell the same seat at 100% price why would they upgrade you? You have a personal perpetual problem-to the airline you are one passenger/one seat as paid for.

Leeds, United...
reviews: 24
4. Re: HELP -Airlines Cam Be A Pain!!!!

Dear Lee

RonaldoC is right with regard to what you are asking the various airlines. I think that BA were very kind on your previous flights which was great.

I really cannot see any airline giving you and your carer an upgrade from economy to first.

I have some advice for you which is genuinely given.

You have put your email address in your post which isn't a good idea as you could now be subject to spammers - and there was some awful spamming on this site this morning. I would really suggest removing your post. By all means repost but without your personal details.

Kind regards

AB

Liverpool, UK
reviews: 14
5. Re: HELP -Airlines Cam Be A Pain!!!!

Sorry for your disability but business are not charities and don't give away free upgrades from Economy to First regardless of the circumstances.

I would add you should never publish your email on a public forum - I'd suggest deleting your post.

Bangkok
Destination Expert
for Bangkok, Air Travel, Thailand
reviews: 71
6. Re: HELP -Airlines Cam Be A Pain!!!!

Hi,

I cede that your condition might of no "fault" of your own, but, I also don't think that then drives or requires a for-profit business to offer you premium priced accommodations without payment of the applicable fare.

In many jurisdictions if you meet the applicable standards, you do have additional statutory rights that seeks to address and help those with a range of medical conditions or statuses fly easier, however, these rights do not include the occupying of a premium cabin without proper fare being first paid

I think the British Airways answer is probably the most candid of those you've listed. There is some notion of equity in action in that IF the carrier grants your request - regardless of its merits or not - what does that then say to the *next* person who has, in their opinion, an equally compelling case for a similar fee-free upgrade?

I also think the financials also cannot be overlooked. What what you're asking for, at this point* - most likely would create at minimum a marginal revenue loss# ; at worst a sizable revenue loss.

Notes: * At this point means and refers to the notion of granting an upgrade prior to departure, thus taking that premium seat out of inventory for possible sale/upgrade prior to departure.

#marginal loss implies the higher catering and related service costs that would need to be provided to a premium cabin seat that was not paid for via fare or other upgrade mechanisms.

I have empathy for those who are in similar situations, but that alone does not require or justify a carrier with providing premium cabin seating without the proper fare being paid.

Travel Safe,

Edited: 6:10 pm, April 18, 2013
New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
reviews: 53
7. Re: HELP -Airlines Cam Be A Pain!!!!

I fail to see why the airlines should upgrade you. People who are 7' tall can't help that and find economy excruciating too, many people find it very uncomfortable but the choice is there, you can buy to upgrade if you need the space or you go to somewhere that doesn't require you to fly.

As others have said BA have been overly generous, in fact I'm rather staggered to the point of disbelief that they'd have upgraded you and a carer both ways. It sets a ridiculous precedent of entitlement.

London.UK
reviews: 1
8. Re: HELP -Airlines Cam Be A Pain!!!!

I find this highly unusual post quite uncomfortable reading to be honest.

Whilst I can sympathise with the OP in regard to their medical situation ( I also suffer from a chronic and debilitating spinal condition ), I find the request to the airlines for 'special consideration' somewhat odd, and if I'm honest, demeaning.

I think the airline responses have been very fair in the circumstances. Unfortunate though it may be, those of us with medical conditions of one sort or another sometimes just have to accept the fact that it will affect and/or limit our ability to do all the things we might wish to do.

Sydney, Australia
reviews: 7
9. Re: HELP -Airlines Cam Be A Pain!!!!

For our last trip to the UK (from Sydney) we flew first with Etihad and the price was more than reasonable (AUD$8,400 return each - a saving of $1,000 on the 'normal' fare at the time of booking). I've been checking their website for our next trip and fares in First have been about AUD$11,000 return (each) which is about £7500.

I truly sympathise with you regarding your disability, but can't why any airline should give you free upgrades by 2 classes AND upgrade your carer to first as well. They are, after all, businesses, not charities. Admittedly they'll sometimes do complimentary upgrades at the time of checkin, but if you pay for economy class, there's two chances of the airline upgrading you to business class, let alone first class, even before you fly ... Buckley's and none, I'm afraid.

You say "In addition to this, I would not be able to use toileting facilities; therefore, having a First Class Suite would allow me to use a discreet portable urine bottle" Without being too graphic or nosy, if you can't use the toilet, what happens if your needs extend beyond a urine bottle, no matter what class you are in?

Again, I'm truly sorry for what life has dealt you, but if you want to fly in first class, I think you'll just have to pay for it, especially when you want the same facilities for your carer.

Jacksonville...
reviews: 200
10. Re: HELP -Airlines Cam Be A Pain!!!!

Weird, weird post. Sorry about your condition, but it is what it is....