We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

1hr 25min Layover at Philly Airport - International Flight

Dublin, Ireland
reviews: 1
1hr 25min Layover at Philly Airport - International Flight

Hi, Hope you can help!

I'm planning a trip to California this summer, driving from San Francisco to San Diego.. My flight home from San Diego includes a 1 hour 25 minute stopover at Philadelphia Airport before flying back to Dublin. Is this too little time to try and catch the flight home?

I'm flying with US Airways, has anybody had experience with this particular situation? And would I have to go through customs and baggage check again once I land in Philly, seeing as I'm catching an international flight out of the US?

Help much appreciated :)

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas, Washington DC, County Donegal, Western Ireland
reviews: 50
1. Re: 1hr 25min Layover at Philly Airport - International Flight

No Customs on the way out of the country, you'll do that when you arrive back in Ireland. And your bag should be checked all the way through to Dublin when you check in at San Diego.

Syracuse, New York
Destination Expert
for Seven Mile Beach, West Bay, Syracuse
reviews: 65
2. Re: 1hr 25min Layover at Philly Airport - International Flight

There are no customs or immigration that you would have to go through if you are taking a domestic flight into PHL. Your baggage should also be checked through - you won't need to touch it.

I tend to prefer a little more time, just to allow for delayed flights, but I think that, as long as everything is on time, it's quite doable.

Chicago, Illinois
reviews: 75
3. Re: 1hr 25min Layover at Philly Airport - International Flight

If this entire itinerary is one ticket on US Air, it's possible but pushing it. I could say this for almost any airport. If everything is on time, you should make your flight. However flights are often late and even a small delay could cause you a problem. If I had the choice, I would take an earlier flight from San Diego to Philadelphia to allow time for delays. If you miss the connection, they will put you on the next available one, but this is an international connection and the next available flight may not be for another day or two.

If the SAN-PHL and PHL-DUB tickets are separate, then it's an entirely different situation and you don't have close to enough time.

Dublin, Ireland
reviews: 1
4. Re: 1hr 25min Layover at Philly Airport - International Flight

Thanks so much for your replies!

@wes032, by separate tickets do you mean different flight numbers? The flight numbers are as follows:

SAN-PHL flight 157;

PHL-DUB flight 722, both with US airways

Do you think this may cause me a problem? I have looked up where the flights arrive and depart at in the airport and it looks like both terminals are close together. This may help me if I end up having to rush!

Liverpool, UK
reviews: 13
5. Re: 1hr 25min Layover at Philly Airport - International Flight

"by separate tickets do you mean different flight numbers?" - Seperate tickets are not the same as different flight numbers, I assume this is a single booking from San Diego to Dublin via Phil rather than two seperate bookings. If the former then your connection is protected and US Air are responsible for getting you home to Dublin.

Assuming the first flight is on time I think the 85 mins is adequate - all you need to do is get off the plane and get to your departure gate which will probably be in the same terminal.

Chicago, Illinois
reviews: 75
6. Re: 1hr 25min Layover at Philly Airport - International Flight

No, it would only be an issue if you bought the tickets separately on separate airlines. Then if you misseded the connection you'd be responsible for it and the airline would not rebook you.

Two flight numbers, but both purchased together on one airline is fine.

Edited: 6:49 pm, April 18, 2013
7. Re: 1hr 25min Layover at Philly Airport - International Flight

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:18 am, April 20, 2014