We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

connecting from domestic/intl flight in jfk (T2 to T3)

Singapore, Singapore
reviews: 1
connecting from domestic/intl flight in jfk (T2 to T3)

Hi..I will be connecting flight from dallas(DFW) to JFK (delta) for my international flight (emirates) back to singapore. The domestic flight ticket are purchased separtely online. So do I need to claim my luggage from JFK airport and then check in again for my flight back to singapore? The delta flight will arrive at JFK terminal 2 and the int'l flight departure is at terminal 3. Do I need to clear custom when travelling from T2 to T3?

Liverpool, UK
reviews: 23
1. Re: connecting from domestic/intl flight in jfk (T2 to T3)

"So do I need to claim my luggage from JFK airport and then check in again for my flight back to singapore?"

With seperately purchased tickets Delta are not obliged to check your bags to the final destination although you can ask.

"Do I need to clear custom when travelling from T2 to T3?" - There is no customs process for passengers departing from the US

I assume you realise that seperately ticketed flights are risky - if your flight from DFW to JFK is delayed or cancelled resulting in you missing the flight to Singapore then you are simply a no show on that second flight and your ticket will be cancelled leaving you in a position of having to buy an expensive one the day ticket.

I hope you have allowed plenty of time to make the connection in JFK.

Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Air Travel, Business Travel
reviews: 81
2. Re: connecting from domestic/intl flight in jfk (T2 to T3)

With the advent of new baggage rules in the US, many airlines have stopped "interlining" bags, so yes, you will likely have to pick up your bags and check in again. I hope you left *many* hours to connect at JFK. You will have check-in deadlines to deal with. While some airlines still allow it, it would also depend on a degree of discretion of the Delta person checking you in at DFW.

If you every do this again, remember, Emirates goes direct to Dubai from Dallas. And if you have to connect for some reason, JetBlue and ALaska Airlines are their North American partners.

Edited: 5:46 am, April 18, 2013
Singapore, Singapore
3. Re: connecting from domestic/intl flight in jfk (T2 to T3)

Txs for ur info.....much appreciated...∩__∩

Singapore, Singapore
4. Re: connecting from domestic/intl flight in jfk (T2 to T3)

Singapore, Singapore
5. Re: connecting from domestic/intl flight in jfk (T2 to T3)

6. Re: connecting from domestic/intl flight in jfk (T2 to T3)

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:17 am, April 21, 2014