We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Delta damaged our luggage!

Rochester, New York
reviews: 24
Delta damaged our luggage!

We recently flew from Miami to Rochester only to get to our final destination and found a piece of luggage with a broken wheel. After stopping at Delta's Claim Dept. we were told due to the late hour, that someone would contact us the next day Well, we are still waiting. I have contacted Delta and was told I needed a claim #, the woman never gave us one. I got an e-mail from Delta stating they'd be contacting us in about 2 or 3 weeks, can I trust them?

19 replies to this topic
Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Air Travel, Business Travel
reviews: 77
1. Re: Delta damaged our luggage!

It will be a futile wait. No airline covers wheels or handles. Read the contract of carriage for the airline. You agreed to it when you bought the ticket and it says that wheels are not covered.

You probably got pulled in by the latest fad... spinner bags... bags with four revolving wheels on the bottom. These are terrible and are only a source of revenue for the bag manufacturers as the wheels do not survive even some of the nicer baggage systems. Imagine a corner of a 50 lb bag travelling at 20 mph running into one of the wheels... snap.

Pittsburgh...
reviews: 57
2. Re: Delta damaged our luggage!

Wheels and handles are not covered. Perhaps a complaint might get you a nominal voucher or some free miles at best, but I would not expect anything.

Mn
3. Re: Delta damaged our luggage!

I fly all the time with a 4 wheeled bag and have not had any problems, not to say I can't in the future but I guess it depends on the quality of the bag.

We paid $100 US for a single bag hard sided.

I really like the bag as my wife is in a wheelchair and it is hard for me to push her and the bag so she holds it on the side of her chair as I push her. Works great.

Liverpool, UK
reviews: 13
4. Re: Delta damaged our luggage!

In all probability your luggage was damaged by the luggage conveyor systems at either Miami or Rochester Airports which have nothing to do with Delta but are operated by the airports concerned - this is a moot point as wheels/handles are not covered for damage as per the following from the Delta website.

"In the course of normal handling during travel, your luggage may show evidence of wear and tear. Like most major airlines, we don't accept liability for normal damage to checked luggage, such as:

•broken wheels or feet"

Greensboro, NC
reviews: 2
5. Re: Delta damaged our luggage!

It's really just one of the hazards in flying. I've had worse and had to chalk it up to part of the flying adventure. There was a time that you could get personal service, but since deregulation and the proliferation of airlines, that has gone out the window, never to return!

Edited: 1:46 pm, April 17, 2013
Rochester, New York
6. Re: Delta damaged our luggage!

Thank you all for responding to my e-mail about Delta, I have since called a local shoe store that repairs luggage, and they said they can replace the wheel. My wife and I spent a few dollars on this luggage and it will pay off, as all they need to do is unlosen a couple of screws and presto its fixed. It's just mind boggeling that these damn airline's charge us, so much to take our luggage, then ruin it by throwing it around.

We watched a baggage handler drop a bag four times in Atlanta, only to toss it back on the conveyor belt, that was probably our bag, I should have take a few pictures of it. Again, Thank you all so much for the information.

Liverpool, UK
reviews: 13
7. Re: Delta damaged our luggage!

"It's just mind boggeling that these damn airline's charge us, so much to take our luggage, then ruin it by throwing it around. We watched a baggage handler drop a bag four times in Atlanta"

Baggage handlers are employed by airports not airlines so your complaint is against them rather than the airline.

Bangkok
Destination Expert
for Bangkok, Air Travel, Thailand
reviews: 72
8. Re: Delta damaged our luggage!

Hi,

I have to agree with the others ... I doubt you have a compensable claim against DL ...

So to that end, if you wanted to pursue it, I'd do so with limited expectations and recognizing your most probable outcome will be, as noted earlier, a small travel credit or mileage credit..

Bags aren't handeled as carefully as they possible could - no arguments there.. I've done that job before early in my overall career..

Do bags get damaged by human "throws and drops"? Yes, absolutely... However, I will also say that they are *more likely* to be damaged during some phase of the automated handling process ... and that's simply recognizing that from the moment your bag is tagged and placed on the conveyer belt at the check-in counters, to the moment it emerges at the reclaim belt, there is more automated handling and automated processes than there is human interaction.

Those automated belts, conveyors and pushers are very, very strong and will sheer off, nearly any object caught in the machinery - and so with near zero resistance.. I've seen plenty of handles, wheels, straps and other things that end up under the machinery once they've been broken off.

Again, this doesn't say humans movement couldn't be more careful - it could .... But it does say that bags today are moved more by automated machines, than people.

I do think you have an expectation to get your bags back in largely the same condition you tendered them - less nominal wear and tear - but just like it is other automated processes- sometimes that goes wrong.

Travel Safe,

atlanta
9. Re: Delta damaged our luggage!

"Baggage handlers are employed by airports not airlines so your complaint is against them rather than the airline."

Umm.. hate to break this to you but it varies by airport

In Atlanta, Delta's handlers are employed by Delta. In Nashville, they are an airport contract service.

Edinburgh, United...
reviews: 15
10. Re: Delta damaged our luggage!

"bags with four revolving wheels on the bottom. These are terrible and are only a source of revenue for the bag manufacturers "

I think there was an interview with a baggage handler posted recently that recommended these bags since they would roll them across the floor when loading the plane rather than throw them.

Reply to: Delta damaged our luggage!
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted