We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

sydney to Vancouver - onward trip/ New York to Syd return -

Sydney, Australia
sydney to Vancouver - onward trip/ New York to Syd return -

Hi

I am planning to fly from Sydney to Vancouver onward journey (1st week) and return from New York to Sydney (last week) in August 2013.

I intend to spend about 4 weeks travelling in Vancouver/Seattle/Calgary/Toronto/New York & Boston

Would appreciate any advice on the airline to fly. I have read a previous thread where fellow forum members have advised that it is best to fly with one airline to and fro. I have also read that the Air Canada direct flight from Syd to Van is good even though a bit more expensive. Will Air Canada also give me NY to Syd return?

I can perhaps ask Air Canada fro Toronto Syd return via New York - would appreciate some advice

Edited: 9:25 pm, April 16, 2013
Adelaide, Australia
1. Re: sydney to Vancouver - onward trip/ New York to Syd return -

Re: "I have read on a previous thread that it is best to fly with one airline to and fro". My experience on a flight to the USA last September was that it was better for me to get separate flights. From Adelaide I fly with Qantas (domestic) to Melbourne then on a Qantas A380 plane direct from Melbourne to LA. My end destination was New York. During my research for that trip it was more expensive to fly all the way to NY with Qantas. I ended up flying with "Virgin America" from LA direct to NY. Both flights on the Qantas A380 & with Virgin America were absolutely fantastic & I would more than recommend these 2 if that is an option for you. The A380 plane ride from Melbourne to LA was smooth (no doubt helped by the good weather as well as a large stable plane). Virgin America had the best reviews for both service and flight quality when I did the research for my trip last year. They were more expensive than a few of my alternative options but I was so glad that I went with them. Good Luck with your planning !!!

Sydney, Australia
2. Re: sydney to Vancouver - onward trip/ New York to Syd return -

Thank you Bing. That really is helpful.

Adelaide, Australia
3. Re: sydney to Vancouver - onward trip/ New York to Syd return -

U welcome :)

Newmarket, Canada
reviews: 33
4. Re: sydney to Vancouver - onward trip/ New York to Syd return -

It is generally cheaper (but not always) to fly out and back on a single booking than it is to book seperate one-way tickets. However, that doesn't necessarily mean travelling on the same airline for all flights.

For example, you could book a single ticket with Air Canada that also includes some segments on their partner airlines. So, you could fly non-stop from SYD to YVR with AC. You could then continue with AC from Vancouver to Calgary to Toronto with Air Canada (however, consider renting a car and driving from Vancouver to Calgary, as it's a fabulous drive). For your flights to Boston and New York, you could continue with Air Canada or AC could book you on a flight with United. For your return back to Australia, it would then make sense to continue with UA connecting through SFO or LAX on your way back to SYD. Booking with one airline doesn't have to mean flying only on their planes, which would often be rather inconvenient.

You will need to decide what is most important to you. Non-stop flights? Best price? Best inflight entertainment? Search out the costs of the various options and then decide what's best for you.

Whatever you do, DO NOT book connecting segments by cobbling together seperate tickets, unless you're planning to stay a day or two before taking your onward flight.

If it was me, I would choose the non-stop AC flight to YVR, unless you can save significant $$ on a different route. It's faster, and it doesn't involve having to go through US immigration at your connecting airport when your destination is Canada. There are many possible options available to you for the return from New York to Sydney.

Edited: 11:08 pm, April 16, 2013
Sydney, Australia
5. Re: sydney to Vancouver - onward trip/ New York to Syd return -

Thank you DCH - I was thinking on the same lines ie the possiblity of Air Canada having partner alliances that will allow me to take a different airline on my return from NY to Syd. I presume you are referring the same when you say" For your return back to Australia, it would then make sense to continue with UA connecting through SFO or LAX on your way back to SYD"

Bundaberg, Australia
reviews: 11
6. Re: sydney to Vancouver - onward trip/ New York to Syd return -

I have done this similar trip october 2010 and november 2011 and we used air new zealand and they were well priced and are an excellent airline,we had to fly via auckland only due to the day we chose to go ,they do have direct flights to vancouver,they flew us air canada to toronto after 3 weeks on the west coast of canada,we then flew montreal to new york for a week with air canada again,then flew United to LA on one trip the next we flew out of San francisco,booking all with one airline was cheaper than trying to book seperately,I was very happy with Air New Zealand

Toronto, Canada
reviews: 32
7. Re: sydney to Vancouver - onward trip/ New York to Syd return -

If you start off with AC, then keep using Star Alliance (United, Air NZ, etc).. Make sure you register with the frequent flyer program of your choice within the Star Alliance--it does not have to be Aeroplan (in fact, if you are living in Australia, I would not recommend it since they cancel your miles if you go 1 year without using them--easy to do in Canada with various Aeroplan partners, not so easy to do in Australia). Whichever plan you use, make sure all the points accumulate there (eg you could use Air NZ or United--and then tie in your Star Alliance flights to that frequent flyer program)

Star Alliance has a pretty good web page with a world map that lets you see all the various routing...you can even do a dummy booking on there to get a rough idea of an itinerary.

Sydney, Australia
8. Re: sydney to Vancouver - onward trip/ New York to Syd return -

Thanks a lot Morrowz and Maple - this really helps - I didn't know about the star alliance web page before. I was thinking of contacting Air Canada to route my trip just like you had done with Air Newzealand Morrowz. Thanks for the tip on aeroplan too Maple. This site is awesome and people have been very kind in responding to my queries. As you can guess this is my first trip to Canada hence a not of "newbie" questions from me.

Toronto, Canada
reviews: 32
9. Re: sydney to Vancouver - onward trip/ New York to Syd return -

You have the kind travel plans that might benefit from using a travel agent. Best you figure out what flights you want and what makes sense and let them do the rest of it and give you a quote.

Sydney, Australia
reviews: 22
10. Re: sydney to Vancouver - onward trip/ New York to Syd return -

I have flown SYD/LAX/SYD with QF (incl LAX/SYD A380) & LAX/YVR AC then drove across the beautiful Rockies over 6 days. I took the back roads rather than the highways, stopping for a couple of nights each in Jasper & Banff which are not to be missed, & also the Athabasca Glacier - but be warned: with so much stunning scenery, lakes, mountains, bears etc. it may take 8 hours to travel just 250 kms! It's worth it. Better than the train, as you can stop where you like, & far less expensive. Drove through to YYC & flew to SFO & later to LAX with UA/AA. A Saturday night on the Queen Mary at Long Beach (transfer readily available at LAX) for the Sunday morning champagne brunch in the First Class dining room was a fabulous way to end the trip. I have booked (online) family SYD/LAX/SYD with NZ at a very good fare, around $1000 less than other carriers, though with a short transit in AKL. They flew various domestics within the US, cheaper than a through fare with the international airline, which would probably apply with NYC. On their return they paid just an extra $500 each for an upgrade to biz for the entire flight, LAX/AKL/SYD, worth every penny. I hope this helps. Have a great trip!