We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Air New Zealand LAX to London, then BRITISH Airways to CPT?

California
reviews: 70
Air New Zealand LAX to London, then BRITISH Airways to CPT?

We have spent HOURS on the phone trying to book our flights (partly with rewards points, partly with cash.) We are considering flying LAX to London on Air New Zealand, spending 2-4 nights in London, then flying British Airways from London to Cape Town. (Round trip plan.)

Is this workable, or is it too risky to fly 2 different airlines which are in different alliances...and the 2 legs of our flights would be booked on separate tickets??? If 1 flight is VERY delayed...by more than 24 hours...or if our luggage got lost... Wouldn't this present more complications, since our 2 legs wouldn't be booked on 1 ticket? Or do you think I'm worrying for nothing?

We like these 2 legs because they are nonstop, and using rewards points and cash, we might be able to book these flights...maybe even with 1 leg in business class or premium economy. (We have always flown economy before.)

I have never flown as far as LAX to Cape Town. I'm a nervous flyer, who really appreciates a welcoming crew, and all those little extras which distract me, such as entertainment screens, edible food... Then I can pretend I'm at the movies or in a restaurant instead of flying!

Thanks. We have also looked at various flights on Jet Blue, South African Airways, United, Virgin Atlantic... Our rewards points are somewhat flexible... But trying to get seats with our points is requiring tons of phone calls... If we cannot get seats using our points, we will have to buy economy seats, because buying business class for both legs is too expensive.

Liverpool, UK
reviews: 13
1. Re: Air New Zealand LAX to London, then BRITISH Airways to CPT?

"Is this workable, or is it too risky to fly 2 different airlines which are in different alliances...and the 2 legs of our flights would be booked on separate tickets???2

I dont see any problem with the outbound leg from LAX to LHR and then LHR to CPT as you say you have 2 - 4 nights in London between the flights.

I'm not clear on the return leg whether you are planning a similar layover in London or are flying into LHR and out of LHR on the same day with seperately ticketed flights - if the latter there is a significant risk to your flight to LAX if your initial flight from CPT is delayed or even cancelled. I would only consider this if I had a minimum of a 1 night stopover in London.

With seperately ticketed flights I dont think the airlines are obliged to check the bags through to the final destination which could be another minor issue on the return legs.

Edinburgh, United...
reviews: 15
2. Re: Air New Zealand LAX to London, then BRITISH Airways to CPT?

There's a risk of missing your flight of course but if you plan to have several days stop-over in London between flights, I'd consider it very small. You could lower it even further by staying in London 4 rather than 2 nights. Whether that's still too risky is something only you can decide.

California
3. Re: Air New Zealand LAX to London, then BRITISH Airways to CPT?

TomC97: Yes, we will spend at least 2 nights in London on the way home as well. Thanks for your reply.

Lexexpress: So we must decide how lucky we are feeling? (-;

Liverpool, UK
reviews: 13
4. Re: Air New Zealand LAX to London, then BRITISH Airways to CPT?

If you're planning a minimum 2 night stopover in London on both the outbound/return flights then I'd consider the risk to be very small and probably worth the financial saving - you'll have to collect your bags in LHR on both sectors so checking bags through is not an issue.

Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
5. Re: Air New Zealand LAX to London, then BRITISH Airways to CPT?

I take it that booking a multi-city LAX-LON-CPT-LAX ticket on BA is impossible because of the Miles you intend using for some of the legs.

An option you haven't considered is one way on Air NZ to London then a multi-city LON-CPT-LAX on BA which would get rid of the problem of enough time for the connection at LON as if things did go wrong it would be BA's problem not yours

California
6. Re: Air New Zealand LAX to London, then BRITISH Airways to CPT?

Alanrow: Yes you are right, the option you mentioned hadn't occured to me..."one way on Air NZ to London then a multi-city LON-CPT-LAX on BA". In fact, I wonder if they could do a multi-city LON-CPT-SAN as we actually are closer to the San Diego airport, even though we often drive up to LAX to get certain flight options. Thanks will see if that works.

California
7. Re: Air New Zealand LAX to London, then BRITISH Airways to CPT?

Alanrow: We have booked our flights! Hurray! Thanks for your idea, because we took your advice, as it worked for us. We have an Air New Zealand flight from LAX to London. Then a few nights in London. Then we have a British Airways ticket for London to Cape Town to San Diego. (Our flight home also has a couple nights in London.) We were able to use some of our rewards points, but we had to use mostly cash, since with the trip coming up in September, we were getting too nervous to wait for the flights we wanted to become available using points. So we have rewards points left for the next trip!

Edited: 3:41 am, April 22, 2013
8. Re: Air New Zealand LAX to London, then BRITISH Airways to CPT?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:18 am, April 24, 2014
Get answers to your questions