We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Qatar Airways Review

Woking, United...
reviews: 7
Qatar Airways Review

We have just flown with Qatar, here is my review

1. 1st flight from London Heathrow to Doha. 7 hours. Modern plane(seats 3,3,3 across), very comfortable, great entertainment system, food good, service good.

2. 2nd flight from Doha to Mahe, Seychelles. 5 hours. Older plane but fine, (seats 3,3 across). One of our entertainment screens not working on this flight, flight not full so my husband changed seats. Apart from that all good on this flight too. Slight problem at Seychelles airport as no wheelchair assistance (as requested) available for elderly parents but they just about managed to walk to taxis.

3. 3rd flight from Mahe, Seychelles. 5 hours. (Seats 3,3 across)Entertainment system didn't work for at least 5 out of our group of 30 travelling together. Flight was full, so couldn't change seats. Very disappointed that Flight Attendants woudn't offer any compensation for this, they said that "it's the aircraft and happens alot".

4. 4th flight from Doha to London Heathrow. 7 hours. Very old plane. Seat formation 2,4,2. Two sections of economy front and rear. Our entertainment system worked, but the couple next to us both of there's didn't (and apparently hadn't on their other flight too).

Seats uncomfortable. Control for entertainment system is fixed to side of armrest so difficult to use (no touch screen on this one) Entertainment screen very dark. Couldn't hear the film at times as engine noise was so loud. No USB connector.

Not enough toilets and they are all at the rear of the plane which caused problems when they were serving meals and people from the front of the economy section were trying to get to the back.

Qatar says it is a 5* airline. In our experience it certainly was not. If you get a modern plane it is ok, but the 5 hour flight with no entertainment system, followed by a 7 hour flight on a very old plane with none of the facilities that Qatar promises when you book the flight,means that we won't be booking with them again. We have experienced entertainment systems not working with other airlines and have given vouchers as a gesture of goodwill. Qatar obviously aren't interested in delivering what their customers have paid for, otherwise they wouldn't have such a huge problem with their entertainment systems - and would offer some sort of gesture to affected customers.

We will be flying to Australia next , and we will be flying with Singapore or Emirates, who we have flown with before and have had excellent service from.

235 replies to this topic
Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney
reviews: 31
1. Re: Qatar Airways Review

Fair enough.

I think you're gonna hear alot about this. Just one question from me;

>>>Very disappointed that Flight Attendants woudn't offer any compensation for this<<<

As in more food? Drinks? Extra peanuts? Not quite sure what the flight attendants could do on a full flight.

Edited: 5:26 pm, April 14, 2013
Sydney/Melbourne
reviews: 42
2. Re: Qatar Airways Review

>>As in more food? Drinks? Extra peanuts? Not quite sure what the flight attendants could do on a full flight.<<

I once had an IFE fail to function on a flight on Singapore Airlines, and as I was disembarking I was given a bottle of very nice French wine from the 1st Class cabin by way of apology.

When you think about it, a couple of hundred IFE units on every flight, most of which are being used for the duration of most flights - some are bound to be out of action on any given flight. I mean, how often can planes be taken off the line to have these non essential items repaired?

I do understand that for passengers who are sitting down the back for hours on end feeling uncomfortable and cramped, the entertainment and comfort of the seats is paramount.

But, in the scheme of things, having a safe plane which gets from A to B without incident or accident is probably more important.

We always take our own 'entertainment' - it's called a book. Well, these days, it's called a Kindle ;-))

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
reviews: 5
3. Re: Qatar Airways Review

From what I can see, the only flight that had no IFE for kath was flight #3 (and she doesn't even say if it affected her, just "5 out of 30 in our group"). As long as the compensation (voucher) was small enough I'd say it would have been nice for QR to provide something. I remember (one of our regular posters) Leuca's wife getting £30 from BA for a malfunctioning IFE on a real long haul.

Flight #4 may not have been full AVOD, but there was IFE nonetheless, so nothing wrong there. I had a plane swap from a full AVOD 777 to 8-channels on Friday for a 13.5 hour flight. That's life - I listened to music and podcasts, and watched movies on my iPad.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney
reviews: 31
4. Re: Qatar Airways Review

>>>I once had an IFE fail to function on a flight on Singapore Airlines, and as I was disembarking I was given a bottle of very nice French wine from the 1st Class cabin by way of apology<<<

Now that's class. And exactly why Singapore is seen so favorably by many.

Fredericia, Denmark
Destination Expert
for Bentota, Beruwala, Sri Lanka
5. Re: Qatar Airways Review

>> Control for entertainment system is fixed to side of armrest so difficult to use

No, it can be removed from the armrest!!

>> 4th flight from Doha to London Heathrow. 7 hours. Very old plane

QR oldest A330 is just about 11 year old.

Portland, Oregon
reviews: 44
6. Re: Qatar Airways Review

Qatar has been ranked the #1 airline in 2012 and 2011. They are very good. But, even on very good airlines, there are often problems of one sort or another.

I have flown two flights on Qatar, and found them to be good, but not better than any of the other top tier airlines I have flown on.

Listed are the airlines that I have flown on where I have received top class service, good entertainment, and good food...to me, they are all about equally comparable:

Dragon Air

Emirates

Garuda Indonesia

Gulf Air

Japan Air Lines

LAN Chile

Porter Airlines (Toronto City Centre based....they are a Business oriented airline, and have just ordered larger, jet aircraft. Currently they only have a fleet of Q400 turboprops).

Singapore Airlines

Sri Lankan Airlines

and one UAL!!! flight that was crewed by Cabin Crew from Taiwan.

Based on my experience, these are the middle-tiered airlines:

Air France

Alaskan

Alitalia

Brussels Airlines (reorganized Sabena Airlines)

Cathay Pacific

Ethiopian

KLM

Kenya Airways

Lufthansa...but I have had GREAT food and great service on their planes....have only flown short-haul, so haven't tried their Business or First Class....no entertainment systems on the planes I have flown on.

Qantas

Royal Air Moroc

Southwest

Luxair (Luxembourg)

Based on my experience, the airlines I would rank sub-standard are:

Air India

American

Delta

Precision Air (Tanzanian)

Spirit

United

USAir

and then all of the "Regional" airlines in the U.S. that fly feed for Delta, United, American and USAir. They have names like:

Republic

Pinnacle

SkyWest

Express Jet

American Eagle

GoJet

Mesa

Shuttle America

Piedmont

Compass

Air Wisconsin

etc., etc.

Edited: 2:40 am, April 15, 2013
Bangkok
Destination Expert
for Thailand
reviews: 3
7. Re: Qatar Airways Review

I fly with Qatar and never had any problems, on all airlines / at all airports sometimes things don't go 'just right', but depends how you deal with it.

If my IFE wasn't working and no spare seats I would settle back and read a book.

The more you worry about these things, the less you enjoy your travels.

Leeds, United...
8. Re: Qatar Airways Review

""If my IFE wasn't working and no spare seats I would settle back and read a book.""

Just because the IFE is not important to you, doesn't mean it is not important to others. Me personally on long haul flights like this one, i rank the IFE up there, only second to punctuality, for an airline. I can deal with cramped seats, so long as i have a good IFE system ... like i say especially if it's a long haul flight.

If i have to fly accumlatively 12+ hours without an IFE system i'd be seriously upset. I don't enjoy reading, and i struggle to fall asleep. IFE is all i have.

I've often picked airlines for their IFE, especially travelling with children, it's thee most important thing you can have on board.

So while you may well be happy to relax, sleep and read a book ... don't judge everyone to your standard.

And yes while IFE break down, when they do a passenger should be compensated. It could be all the hallmarks of poor mechanical work by the airline, the cabin crew could have asked around for anyone not watching the IFE if they didn't mind swapping, but usually they do nothing.

I also know British Airways compensate you if your IFE doesn't work, buy a small gesture payment to another flight.

Edited: 8:40 am, April 15, 2013
Fredericia, Denmark
Destination Expert
for Bentota, Beruwala, Sri Lanka
9. Re: Qatar Airways Review

don't judge everyone to your standard

------------------------------------------------

Isn't that what you are doing?

Leeds, United...
10. Re: Qatar Airways Review

No. I'm stating what is most important to ME. If you don't need IFE then that's fine. But don't scoff at others because IFE is important to them.

Reply to: Qatar Airways Review
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted