We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

New Delhi to Newark via London (Virgin Atlantic airlines).

New Delhi, India
New Delhi to Newark via London (Virgin Atlantic airlines).

Dear Experts,

I am currently holding a valid US visa which has a validity till Sep 19' 2013. I have plans to fly from

New Delhi to Newark via London (Virgin Atlantic airlines) in June this year. There is connection in London not more than 4 hours.

VA agents are not sure if I need Transit Visa. They redirect me to UK visa website but website is making me so confuse now.

Do I really need a transit visa?

Please suggest so that I can take necessary action in due time.

Regards,

~Rohit

Fredericia, Denmark
Destination Expert
for Bentota, Beruwala, Sri Lanka
reviews: 7
1. Re: New Delhi to Newark via London (Virgin Atlantic airlines).

You should contact UK High Commission in Delhi.

Madrid
reviews: 7
2. Re: New Delhi to Newark via London (Virgin Atlantic airlines).

Agreed.

Nowy Sacz, Poland
Destination Expert
for Poland
reviews: 42
3. Re: New Delhi to Newark via London (Virgin Atlantic airlines).

I believe you need to apply for a direct airside transit visa as India is on the "List" of countries you must NOT be from to NOT need a transit visa. This is how the website presents it! Basically, if your country is on the list, you need a visa.

Italy
Destination Expert
for Livigno, Lombardy
reviews: 139
4. Re: New Delhi to Newark via London (Virgin Atlantic airlines).

In any case as the others have said contact the UK High Cpmmission in Delhi but I find it strange that Virgin Atlantic don't know this maybe contact them again as sometimes it depends who you talk to.

New Delhi, India
5. Re: New Delhi to Newark via London (Virgin Atlantic airlines).

Acutally I called VA office both in USA and India. The agents in India says that I dont require a transit visa as the ultimate destination is USA with a Valid US visa and is within 24 hours and Terminal for both flights are same (Terminal 2 for VA and Terminal 5 for BA). But they again suggested me to get in touch with UK high commission for surety as at times there is a possibility of last minute change in Gates. Then I called US VA call center but they denied giving any suggestions/information on Transit Visa issue saying they are not authorized.

I have just sent an email to VFS global services call center who take such queries for British High commission on Visa issues explaining them the situation. I will share the directions from them so that it would help others as well.

I got an automated response from them mentioning that hey would get back to me in 3 working days.

Regards,

~Rohit Jain

Edited: 12:23 pm, April 14, 2013
Guildford, England
reviews: 11
6. Re: New Delhi to Newark via London (Virgin Atlantic airlines).

Just to let you know VA use Terminal 3 at LHR.

Terminal 2 has been demolished and is being rebuilt.

New Delhi, India
7. Re: New Delhi to Newark via London (Virgin Atlantic airlines).

Hi , As per UK high commision, no transit visa is required.

New Delhi, India
8. Re: New Delhi to Newark via London (Virgin Atlantic airlines).

I have the same flight tomorrow! I was paranoid about it but confirmed from VFS & VA that I do not need a transit visa since my ticket is confirmed and I have a multi-entry valid US visa.

Adding to the above, please see the below details taken from …homeoffice.gov.uk/visas-immigration/…

You can transit the UK airside without a visa if: You are a DATV national and qualify for the DATV exemption under the 'transit without visa' concession (details below)

INDIA COMES UNDER DATV.

If you are a national of a country covered by the DATV system, you may be able to transit the UK airside without a visa. To qualify for this exemption:

you must arrive and depart by air; and

your onward flight must be confirmed, and must depart within 24 hours; and

you have proper documentation for your destination, including a visa if necessary.

Additionally, you must hold:

1) a valid entry visa for Australia, Canada, New Zealand or the USA, and a valid airline ticket for travel via the UK, as part of a journey to or from one of those countries;

OR

2) a valid airline ticket for travel via the UK as part of a journey from Australia, Canada, New Zealand or the USA, if you are transiting the UK no more than 6 months after the date when you last entered Australia, Canada, New Zealand or the USA with a valid entry visa for that country;

OR

3) a valid USA I-551 permanent resident card issued on or after 21 April 1998;

OR

4) an expired I-551 permanent resident card issued on or after 21 April 1998, accompanied by an I-797 extension letter issued by the Bureau of Citizenship;

OR

5) a valid Canadian permanent resident card issued on or after 28 June 2002;

OR

6) a valid Australian or New Zealand residence visa;

OR

7) a valid uniform format category D visa for entry to a state in the European Economic Area (EEA);

OR

8) a valid uniform format residence permit issued by an EEA state under Council Regulation (EC) number 1030/2002;

OR

9) a valid UK residence card;

OR

10) a valid EEA family permit issued by the UK government;

OR

11) a diplomatic or service passport issued by the People's Republic of China;

OR

12) a diplomatic or official passport issued by India;

OR

13) a diplomatic or official passport issued by Vietnam.

New Delhi, India
9. Re: New Delhi to Newark via London (Virgin Atlantic airlines).

Thanks for your response. .I have already traveled on june 16th. No transit visa were asked..

New Delhi, India
10. Re: New Delhi to Newark via London (Virgin Atlantic airlines).

Oh great! Now I can fly out in peace tomorrow :-)