We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Skyscanner & Momondo

Sydney
reviews: 101
Skyscanner & Momondo

I generally always use a combination of Skyscanner & Momondo to book flights. However, recently I have found these sites have become rather useless when searching for flights within Europe due to these sites collecting rates from rubbish operators like Wefly.co.uk and Tripair.com. Momondo & Skyscanner quote a price as being "live", then when you click through the website operator quotes a higher price, THEN when you go their checkout the price is higher yet again.

I have also found that the more times you search, the more the prices go up. I can push the price up by over $150 just by doing the same search 3 times! THEN when I open a new browser or clear cookies (and/or alter IP), the prices instantly go back down to their original rates. I think this practice is very deceptive and sneaky!! Because it makes you believe the flights are booking out quickly and you need to "BUY IT NOW!" when in reality no one is buying those seats, it's just the site using your cookies against you.

So my question is....what sites are ppl using to book flights? Are there any good sites out there that combine many different airlines with reliable and REAL results? I will no longer use Skyscanner and Momondo as long as they keep fetching rates from these ridiculous websites that offer nothing other than fraud.

40 replies to this topic
Sydney, Australia
reviews: 77
1. Re: Skyscanner & Momondo

Hi laguida

I normally persevere with skyscanner for initial cost comparison info, but always book directly with the airline. I know Skyscanner often directs you to the airline site which is fine - just ensure you are actually on the airline's page. I haven't used Momondo, so cannot comment on that - I generally use Skyscanner as a starting point to get a handle of what the approximate prices are. I've used it extensively for an upcoming trip to Europe with a number of different airlines.

Stand by for many posts advising you to avoid 3rd party booking sites, and to book directly with the airline :)

Good luck and enjoy the ride !

Fredericia, Denmark
Destination Expert
for Bentota, Beruwala, Sri Lanka
reviews: 7
2. Re: Skyscanner & Momondo

I usually use http://matrix.itasoftware.com/ to find flight prices, and the book direct with the airline. Be aware that not all European LCC are likely to be found in the search.

3. Re: Skyscanner & Momondo

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 3:35 am, April 15, 2013

Edinburgh, United...
4. Re: Skyscanner & Momondo

Hi laguida,

I’m sorry to hear that you’ve been having problems with your flight booking. At Skyscanner, it’s really important to us that the price we show is the price you pay on the airlines’ and online travel agencies’ websites that we include in our search results, so we’d like to look into this. Please could you drop us a line via our contact us page (www.skyscanner.net/contactus.aspx) with the routes and dates you’ve been looking at? We’ll get our tech team on the case straight away. If you can put your tripadvisor username in the subject line so we can find your email that would be really helpful!

We’re also very concerned about the problem you mention with the price increasing when doing repeated searches with online travel agencies. We aim to show accurate live pricing for all online travel agencies on our site, and only work with reputable companies. If you can send us an example of that too, that would be great and we’ll investigate further.

Many thanks

Hugh

Skyscanner

Copenhagen, Denmark
5. Re: Skyscanner & Momondo

Hi Laguida,

We are very sorry that you have experienced problems with your flight search. We want to provide a trustworthy and correct overview of the prices available online. Therefore, we would be very thankful if you could send us more information about the problems you’ve experienced with a price being higher when redirected to a supplier’s site. Please send information about the route and dates you’ve searched to feedback@momondo.com and we will look into the issue.

Flight prices change all the time and on some routes there are only a limited amount of cheap tickets available, which is why you will sometimes experience prices going up. This has nothing to do with Momondo. We don’t use cookies to push up prices on flight tickets, we simply show the prices available online to help you find the flights that fit your needs.

Best,

Julie

Momondo

Edinburgh, United...
reviews: 6
6. Re: Skyscanner & Momondo

Ive never used skyscanner before and my first impression is that its wildly expensive compared to the actual companies themslves eg lufthansa cost for flight with SS £272 edi-otp and with lfth £198 huge difference in that one...

Exeter, United...
reviews: 31
7. Re: Skyscanner & Momondo

I agree matrix is very good but as you will hear on this forum many times: always book directly with the airline

UK
reviews: 13
8. Re: Skyscanner & Momondo

Last time I used matrix it was not picking up cheaper prices that skyscanner was. This included the price charged by using the airline direct. So I use a mix of the price comparison sites when researching.

Hong Kong, China
reviews: 22
9. Re: Skyscanner & Momondo

Use skyscanner all the time - it's a search engine for me not a booking site. It helps me see what airlines fly the route and then I book directly with the airline.

Terrigal, Australia
reviews: 250
10. Re: Skyscanner & Momondo

skyscanner, bravoflys, momondo,& matrix - are all good search engines to determine who flys where (i know there are other methods etc)

then book directly with the airline of choice - there are too many sad stories and rants on these forums relating to people using 3rd parties - finding "to good to be true " deals then ending in misery

very, very interesting that both momondo (posts 1) and skyscanner (posts 2) have (?) chosen to respond to this thread - considering the number of posts on the forums about 3rd parties - all of a sudden we have 2 responses - one after the other - are they related ? are they the one company? ? ? ?

why now ?

Reply to: Skyscanner & Momondo
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted