We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

New Yorker needs fast help travel insurance for asia

New York
reviews: 154
New Yorker needs fast help travel insurance for asia

this must be done Now as there are deadlines from initial deposit date

I'm going to Vietnam for almost a month.

I have spent an INSANE amount of time on this

I went to insuremytrip . com . they have a comparison site. well, in reading these reviews, ...on and on..

. As soon as I think I have a good one, I read horrible stories about trying to get a claim settled.Another TA friend made the warning to dig to find out if they are 'backed' by TripMate. In digging I did find a lot of them are affiliated or insured by this wholesale company called TRIP MATE and that company has the most negative reviews

I'm going for more than 3 weeks and want to purchase a policy with a cancel for any reason clause ( it adds over $ 100 to it) . Looking for the cheapest policy isn't always the way to go..

can someone tell me who NOT to use or who they had good experience with

Seattle, Washington
reviews: 84
1. Re: New Yorker needs fast help travel insurance for asia

I always use Travelguard and have had good experiences when I've had to file a claim.

Sydney, Australia
reviews: 93
2. Re: New Yorker needs fast help travel insurance for asia

We travel relatively regularly through Asia and have used either "Cover More" or ”Travel Insurance Direct (TID)”

Have found them to be very good for what we need, and are highly regarded on Asian Forums. All done online, although when I have needed to speak to a human I have gotten through quickly and had my query attended to promptly and efficiently.

Not sure about acces through the US though.....good luck.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Bargain Travel
reviews: 40
3. Re: New Yorker needs fast help travel insurance for asia

"Looking for the cheapest policy isn't always the way to go"

Insurance gospel right there.

The suggestion above of Cover More is a great one, as is American Express Travel IME.

San Francisco...
4. Re: New Yorker needs fast help travel insurance for asia

We've always good experiences with TravelGuard - every time I call them when I need to purchase they are really helpful in explaining their different plans. I agree that the cheapest policy isn't always the way to go - sometimes we get what we pay for. As long as you read the description of their coverage so you know what you are getting, you should be good.

Oxford, United...
reviews: 122
5. Re: New Yorker needs fast help travel insurance for asia

I always use to look for the cheapest insurance in my naivety when I was first travelling. Now with some experience behind me and luckily not yet have had to claim. I decide on what is important to me from a policy and what I would want covered. Then look for that. It can be time consuming, but it is worth it in the end.

I am not sure about companies in the US, but here in the UK I look at finacial places such as banks or reputable insurance companies I've used before. Many companies here that do car or home insurance here now do travel insurance. Not sure if it is like that in the states.

There will always be good and bad reviews for many products and they will always be one sided. Which ever you go with, just ensure you have read all the terms and conditions so you at least know where you stand.

New York
reviews: 154
6. Re: New Yorker needs fast help travel insurance for asia

thanks.. lots of people buy policies, never make a claim... and then recommend them .

just reading people who go through claims is scary.

another TA member gave me a good tip She said that she puts the 'initial date of deposit;" as the day she actually paid the c.c., not the day that she made the plane reservation.

also

Im trying to find out if asiana airlines will let us change the ticket should we have to cancel.( I know it is non refundable.). also..sometimes, as in my case, the tour agency in Vietnam is allowing me to use my trip deposit another time in case I have to cancel. these two possibilities mean that I might not have to insure such a high amount.. $ 2400 for flight and

$ 2000 for tour..... the price for the insurance was coming up to $ 350 and another $ 120 for

'cancel any reason' clause

Sydney, Australia
7. Re: New Yorker needs fast help travel insurance for asia

Not sure what your reasons for cancelling may be, however I just did a dummy run for Covermore and for 3 weeks in Vietnam the policy is $135.00

Their notes re cancellations are as follows:

"Cover, if due to unforeseen circumstances outside your control your journey has to be re-arranged or cancelled e.g. illnesses, accidents, extreme weather conditions, exam re-sit or retrenchment."

I don't think they will cover you for cancelling outside of these guidelines - not sure if anyone will actually, although I am sure someone will suggest a company that does.

Nannup, Australia
reviews: 23
8. Re: New Yorker needs fast help travel insurance for asia

Could I just point out to well meaning Australians that OP is in the USA - Australian policies are not (as far as I know) available to her.

Sydney, Australia
9. Re: New Yorker needs fast help travel insurance for asia

Hi Numbat -

I thought that, however on the Covermore site you can actually enter a home country other than Australia via a drop down menu.

I checked that before I posted :)

Edited: 1:37 am, April 12, 2013
Nannup, Australia
reviews: 23
10. Re: New Yorker needs fast help travel insurance for asia

The Covermore site also says this:

<<Please note that policies can only be issued to Australian citizens and permanent residents who will be returning to Australia at the completion of the period of insurance and within 12 months of the journey commencing; and who have not yet commenced their journey.>>