We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Connecting to the USA via Dublin

Oxford, United...
Connecting to the USA via Dublin

This summer I will be flying from Birmingham to JFK, via Dublin withe Aer Lingus (Both flights on the same ticket), I will be clearing customs in Dublin, but am wondering if I will have to collect my luggage in Dublin and then recheck or if it will be checked all the way through to JFK? Does anyone have any experience will the new pre customs/ immigration in Dublin?

Thanks

Romford, United...
reviews: 23
1. Re: Connecting to the USA via Dublin

Doing it in the next few days for the first time-will let you know but my understanding is that you have to take your luggage through US Customs yourself for verification purposes

Visit Dublin Airport website and there is a short video on US preclearance which explains it

Liverpool, UK
reviews: 24
2. Re: Connecting to the USA via Dublin

All the information is on the airport website - your luggage should be checked through to JFK as far as I'm aware.

dublinairport.com/gns/…US-Preclearance.aspx

Dublin, Ireland
reviews: 100
3. Re: Connecting to the USA via Dublin

anytime I have used the pre-clearance, I have checked my bags, gone through security, into duty free, down to Immigration and Customs. A Customs Declaration form is handed to you at check-in which you complete and hand to the Officer who shows you a tv monitor with your bags on the screen and asks you to verify that they are in fact, your bags.

Then you are finger-printed, have your irises scanned and usually asked about your visit to the US (for non-US citizens, that is). I am not sure what the procedure is with bags checked through from another country.

aerlingus.com/travelinformation/…

Geneva, Switzerland
Destination Expert
for Geneva, Liechtenstein, Air Travel
reviews: 307
4. Re: Connecting to the USA via Dublin

Beware that not all the flights to the US are pre-cleared in DUB! aerlingus.com/travelinformation/… for the details. And you should not have to collect your luggage at DUB.

Geneva, Switzerland
Destination Expert
for Geneva, Liechtenstein, Air Travel
reviews: 307
5. Re: Connecting to the USA via Dublin

Also please note the terminal change at JFK: irishtimes.com/business/sectors/transport-an…

Bedford, United...
reviews: 14
6. Re: Connecting to the USA via Dublin

Isn't the aforementioned iris scan just a simple facial photograph ?

Belfast, United...
reviews: 47
7. Re: Connecting to the USA via Dublin

we had to go through clearance in DC and we went with air lingus

maybe it changed since then

Romford, United...
8. Re: Connecting to the USA via Dublin

Think preclearance Dublin will depend on if it's a direct flight DUB-USA or if it's a flight or flights via somewhere else for example LHR where they maybe are picking up more passengers making it impossible for USA Customs/INS to spot the wheat from the chaff

Belfast, United...
reviews: 47
9. Re: Connecting to the USA via Dublin

ours was a direct flight

Romford, United...
10. Re: Connecting to the USA via Dublin

UlsterBrummie

Wow!!! makes you wonder why they made you go through preclearance at DUB???