We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Interesting but disturbing article in today's Daily Mail

Madeira, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Funchal, Madeira, Madeira Islands
reviews: 32
Interesting but disturbing article in today's Daily Mail

I, like many , have been subjected to hours of crying children on flights, but is this going too far?

www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-2305529

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Bargain Travel, Food and Travel
reviews: 58
1. Re: Interesting but disturbing article in today's Daily Mail

Way too far.

My guess is that it won't be long, before we see her on some second rate current affairs program, trying to sue the pharmaceutical company for side effects.

Italy
Destination Expert
for Livigno, Lombardy
reviews: 139
2. Re: Interesting but disturbing article in today's Daily Mail

There's been a lot of discussion today on the TV about this and I quite honestly would never give my child any medication just to keep them quiet on a plane and on one programme a lady said she had given her son what was supposed to calm him down and had the opposite effect so I don't think it's a good idea.

Kilbirnie...
reviews: 7
3. Re: Interesting but disturbing article in today's Daily Mail

this is terrible being a mother of 2 girls aged 2 and 8 i do travel alot and yeah they can moan and cry etc but they need to travel too

NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
reviews: 18
4. Re: Interesting but disturbing article in today's Daily Mail

The most amazing thing is that AFTER she couldn't wake the child up--instead of being totally scared out of her mind, she calmly says she would do it again! There have to be better ways of getting a child to sleep on the plane. My 14 month old niece goes back and forth to Israel sleeping most of the way, We make sure she is very stimulated, runs around a lot and approaches zonked ( from exhaustion) when boarding.

London, United...
reviews: 23
5. Re: Interesting but disturbing article in today's Daily Mail

no, its not for me. I dont like the fact she could not wake her son, thats quite serious. Thats not a dose of calpol that makes him dozy, thats something else entirely.

I find it disturbing also. She said she did not want the pilot to know she had drugged her child. so inherently she knows she is wrong.

NomadicForever
reviews: 16
6. Re: Interesting but disturbing article in today's Daily Mail

I am against drugging kids, pets or anybody else. However, my recommendation is that parents with small kids who are known not to travel well should not fly until kids are old enough. If you want kids, be prepared to make sacrifices. Most parents seem to feel that kids have a right to scream to their hearts content. Why dont they see that other pax have a right to a scream-free flight. I have often seen parents who are deaf to the screaming kid, and they continue watching a movie or read.

I dont have kids. My parents never subjected me to a 12 hr flight at the age of 6 months either. My first flight was in my teens.

uk
reviews: 216
7. Re: Interesting but disturbing article in today's Daily Mail

based on the type/nature/number of the many ill-behaved brats that seem to surround me when I fly economy, I LOVED the story and hope that many more parents use sedatives if they're unable to stop their kids banging seats, running around etc.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Bargain Travel, Food and Travel
reviews: 58
8. Re: Interesting but disturbing article in today's Daily Mail

"based on the type/nature/number of the many ill-behaved brats that seem to surround me when I fly economy, I LOVED the story and hope that many more parents use sedatives if they're unable to stop their kids banging seats, running around etc"

Yeah awesome, by that logic, airline staff should tranquilize loud/drunk/arguing adults and professional sports teams. Same level of disturbance right?

London, United...
reviews: 23
9. Re: Interesting but disturbing article in today's Daily Mail

+1 for kve, absolutely.

Must be the desitantions that Jeremy goes to, as I personally am never surrounded by children on a flight, never mind ill behaved ones.

It's one thing to be an ill behaved brat when one is below the age of 7. Whole other thing when an adult. :-p

rural West Aussie
Destination Expert
for Perth
reviews: 52
10. Re: Interesting but disturbing article in today's Daily Mail

I'm not thrilled by crying children, but I accept that they may cry. If their parents are actively trying to quiet them, play with them, whatever, then I cut them some slack because they're making an effort. If they are ignoring the child, then I'm annoyed- at the parents.

I too am bothered that this woman, despite her fright when she couldn't wake her child, continues to drug her kiddies into submission, even the older ones who could be expected to quietly amuse themselves (if properly parented in the first place).