We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Acoustic guitar as hand luggage

Barnsley, United...
reviews: 26
Acoustic guitar as hand luggage

Hi Everyone

I'm flying from Manchester to Lesvos on a Thomas Cook holiday with Monarch airlines in June and would like to know if anyone has had any experience of taking an acoustic guitar actually in the aircraft cabin as hand luggage as opposed to stowing it in the hold .

I've been searching old TA forums and found no difinitive answers apart from there's NO WAY I'm putting it in the hold with the horror stories of crushed and broken guitars even when using a hard case .

I have read that some airlines allow you to carry one on as hand luggage but I dont know if monarch do ?

Also does anyone know their e-mail address so I can clarify if this is true or not.

{ I've tried ringing but got fed up of being on hold } .

I've already paid for extra weight so that shouldn't pose a problem.

I have posted something similar to this before but would like to hear from someone who as actually done it .

Thanks for any replies in advance. Glenn

Barnsley, United...
1. Re: Acoustic guitar as hand luggage

BTW It's a full size 12 string that sounds georgeous and a ukelele just doesn't do it for me nothing against players that love them , but whenever I pick one up I stray into singing like George Formby { badly }

Edited: 11:23 am, April 07, 2013
Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
reviews: 74
2. Re: Acoustic guitar as hand luggage

monarch.co.uk/faq/…other-baggage-faqs

can I travel with my musical instrument?

If you wish to take your musical instrument onboard the aircraft for storage in the overhead locker, it can be carried as hand baggage, but not in addition to your standard hand-baggage allowance. You must ensure that it complies with our weight and size restrictions for hand baggage – explained within our hand-baggage guidelines and your instrument should be safely housed in its own carry case.

Larger instruments may be transported in the hold of the aircraft in a suitable case – excess charges and baggage fees may apply. Alternatively, you may purchase an extra seat for your musical instrument, provided it fits comfortably into the dimensions of a single, standard aircraft seat and can be strapped in using a normal seatbelt. For further information regarding carriage of musical instruments please contact one of our reservations team. Additional seats for musical instruments will need to be purchased via reservations or your tour operator – pre booked seat fees may apply.

So yes you can carry a musical instrument but it must be quite small. I am guessing your guitar is normal sized so no you can't carry it. Otherwise you need to buy a seat for it.

UK
3. Re: Acoustic guitar as hand luggage

I contacted Monarch last week by e-mail from their website queries section:

www.monarch.co.uk/faq/flights/contact-us

Fortunately it wasn't urgent as it took over a week to get a reply, but a 'Contact Centre Agent' did respond eventually (and I didn't have to run up a phone bill).

Good luck - it's as well you don't have to carry an amp as well!

Barnsley, United...
4. Re: Acoustic guitar as hand luggage

Thanks for the reply , not exactly what I wanted to hear but at least it gives me somewhere to start , I'll have to see if I can fit extra support in my hard case . cheers.

Barnsley, United...
5. Re: Acoustic guitar as hand luggage

Cheers diz

I'm on it now.

Barnsley, United...
6. Re: Acoustic guitar as hand luggage

PS it does have internal tang - pick up , I had fitted later , dont think monarch have to know about that, there's an amp on the other side for me to use . Bugger carrying one of those too . I'd need 2 extra seats ........

Liverpool
reviews: 9
7. Re: Acoustic guitar as hand luggage

Hi lekistyx,

Try this! I know your Thomas Cook, but worked for a friend.

admin@monarchholidays.co.uk

Margaurite

Edited: 12:39 pm, April 07, 2013
Barnsley, United...
8. Re: Acoustic guitar as hand luggage

Thanks again .

Nai Yang, Thailand
9. Re: Acoustic guitar as hand luggage

Hi lekistyx

I have never travelled with Monarch but I have flown numerous times with my guitars as check in luggage

- For me there are 2 ways that I transport my guitars ( depending on which guitar that I take with me )

Option 1

- Standard hard guitar case

A) de tune guitar

B) wrap guitar in bubble wrap

C) Place into locked case

D) I then resure the case with electrical ties

Option 2

- Buy youself a coffin case with additional combination locks

- Detune the guitar

Trusting that this assists

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
reviews: 54
10. Re: Acoustic guitar as hand luggage

A Canadian band was flying United to the States and definitely put United in a place (~13 million youtube views) where they had to fix a Taylor guitar that they broke. Not that you're flying United or your guitar will be damaged. Just a moment of guitar justice.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5YGc4zOqozo

Edited: 4:03 am, April 08, 2013