We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bygone Airlines

Gerogery West...
Destination Expert
for Moab
reviews: 60
Bygone Airlines

Walking the streets tonight between pub and hotel room I passed a vacant shop. The old frontage had been removed to reveal some signs that were to me, old school.

flickr.com/photos/…

MMA - Memories from the '70's of my father bitching about the noise their F-28's made leaving Perth airport as he mowed the lawn.

Ansett - My first plane ride in the '80's on those same F-28's.

TAA - Up, up and away. Advertising jingles do stick in you head even after 30+ years.

Loughborough...
reviews: 18
1. Re: Bygone Airlines

Nice pic.

My very first plane trip was with (the now defunct) British Caledonian in 1984, when I was 6. I don't remember much about it other than having my first taste of those little plastic pots of orange juice. Whenever they give them out on flights now, I'm momentarily transported back to my childhood!

Romford, United...
reviews: 23
2. Re: Bygone Airlines

My first commercial flight was Dan Air(Dan Dare!!!) didn't have any IFE but then again you didn't need it as it was impossible to even have a conversation with the person next to you due to the noise in the cabin from the engines used with the BAC1-11 aircraft

Went up in my late cousin's Tiger Moth when I was knee high to a grasshopper but suppose that doesn't count as an airline!!! lol

Syracuse, New York
Destination Expert
for Seven Mile Beach, West Bay, Syracuse
reviews: 69
3. Re: Bygone Airlines

Wow, I remember flying Dan Air! I think my first experience was between them and Britannia.

Romford, United...
4. Re: Bygone Airlines

Everyone remembers Dan Air!!! lol

Remember flying Britannia on a charter flight from London-Dubai-Indonesia-Brisbane-NZ about 15 years ago-cost only £300 return

Oh them were the days!!!

Guildford, United...
reviews: 51
5. Re: Bygone Airlines

Experiences on now defunct airlines-

Dan Air BAC111 - apart from the noise, backwards facing seats at the exit and that strange rear exit stair that lowered in the centre.

JAT - Smoking on one side of the aisle, no-smoking on the other.

Greensboro, NC
reviews: 2
6. Re: Bygone Airlines

And I remember a few flights on good old BOAC! That was traveling! Lunch served on a tray which was placed on the pillow they placed on your lap!

Lewes, United...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
reviews: 40
7. Re: Bygone Airlines

Yes, all the airlines I flew on in my early flying life are now no longer, or have morphed into something else: BOAC, BWIA, Pan Am and Braniff!

SWT

Sydney/Melbourne
reviews: 47
8. Re: Bygone Airlines

As a very young child, I remember watching the Catalinas take off and land at Rose Bay. I had no idea where they were going but I just knew it had to be somewhere exotic.

Remember when people dressed up to get on a plane - ladies in heels and stockings and gentlemen in suits?

My first overseas trip was on TWA.......wonder what they have morphed into?

South Pole
reviews: 39
9. Re: Bygone Airlines

my first flight was an ansett electra, brisbane to sydney.....wow was that ever exciting.

first overseas trip panam 707. sydney to bangkok.

the good ol' days.

now flights are just like bus trips.

uk
10. Re: Bygone Airlines

If my memory is correct my first flight was Air France, Heathrow to Paris then switched to Air Inter on to Montpellier ,This was in 1970 to join my first ship in Sete.