We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cathay Pacific SFO to HKG

San Francisco...
Cathay Pacific SFO to HKG

Hello everybody My dad and I are flying in june on Cathay on a 747 to Hong Kong from San Francisco. Is this plane good? Is there AVOD? Good Food? What are your experience's on this route or Cathay's Long Haul 747 in general . Thanks for any replies everyone

Hong Kong, China
reviews: 126
1. Re: Cathay Pacific SFO to HKG

Have a look at airlinequality.net for general reviews on Cathay, or google cathay airways trip reports, there are a few sites with them.

Haven't flown that route, but I've flown CX a bit recently (business class) and have been very impressed.

San Francisco...
2. Re: Cathay Pacific SFO to HKG

Thanks I'll check it out any other help is welcomed and thanked

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
reviews: 5
3. Re: Cathay Pacific SFO to HKG

I haven't flown Cathay Pacific for a long time (those flights were very good). Currently Cathay (CX) has an excellent reputation. It's a Skytrax 5 star airline and has been consistently rated in the top four airlines at the World Airline Awards (the other three being Qatar, Asiana, and Singapore).

http://www.worldairlineawards.com/

Based on those ratings (and from my experience on airlines I think they're accurate), I think that you've made a very good choice, and are flying the best airline that offers that route, and one of the best airlines in the world.

Melbourne, Australia
reviews: 60
4. Re: Cathay Pacific SFO to HKG

Have flown CX a number of times from JFK to HKG and ORD to HKG on 777 aircraft. Very good service. Have also flown CX on 747 from HKG to KIX and SIN several times. Also very good. Flew in premium cabin so not sure about entertainment system in Economy. - Food and service on all flights was very good. Good airline.

San Francisco...
5. Re: Cathay Pacific SFO to HKG

Thanks Everyone

Atlanta, Georgia
reviews: 36
6. Re: Cathay Pacific SFO to HKG

Flew CX ORD-HKG, HKG-JFK in March. Seats were in biz class and they're very good. In fact, it's all about the seats IMO. Food was average outbound, mediocre on return. I didn't finish the dinner entre and elected to have the always available snack course. Much better. Touring the plane I saw that coach was full-and cramped-but Premium Economy looked pretty good, better than most domestic first class.

The aircraft was a 777-300ER but the 747s aren't supposed to have the new Biz/PE seats so I can't comment. In flight service was okay, but I had to ask for a second drink, more water, etc., as no one swept through the cabin very often. Actually, international flights in business seemed better to me on Delta. The seats aren't quite as good, but the food and service were superior.

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Osaka
reviews: 76
7. Re: Cathay Pacific SFO to HKG

CX has an excellent AVOD system on 747's in terms of navigation and content. You will be entertained.

I don't know whether the economy cabin still has fixed seats at this point though. A lot of people disliked those seats.

Catering is ok. It's not great but it's not terrible.

Goteed1
reviews: 110
8. Re: Cathay Pacific SFO to HKG

Flew them in 2011 SFO-HKG in economy with the fixed seats. Really uncomfortable, would never do that again. I usually don't remember airline food, as it's all pretty average, but I remember Cathay's a s being really awful. On the return flight I brought my own food because it was so awful.

AVOD is good, I watched everything because I could not sleep, due to the fixed seats.

When I got on my connecting flight to BKK, I had regular plane seats and they felt like heaven after that.

San Francisco...
9. Re: Cathay Pacific SFO to HKG

Thanks Luckily then changed it back ausbt.com.au/photos-and-review-cathay-pacifi…

Edited: 9:33 pm, April 08, 2013
San Francisco...
10. Re: Cathay Pacific SFO to HKG

full link ausbt.com.au/photos-and-review-cathay-pacifi…