We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Visa card payment for seat reservation refused by Vueling

Brisbane, Australia
reviews: 4
Visa card payment for seat reservation refused by Vueling

Is this a common experience? I have booked and paid for my flights (internal Spain) but when I went to select seats (cost 12 euros) and then to pay for them, using the same Verified Visa card account I used for the flight payment through a third party, Vueling refused the payment. I checked with my home bank to learn that there had been no declined payments by them.

This prevents me from checking in online ahead of the ususal sevenday window - which I need to do as I will be on the road during that period. I just want things tidy, before setting off.

Is it necessary to re-new the Verification process each time a payment is made? I have paid for thousands of dollars of accommodation overseas and train travel with the same card. But I get knocked back for 24 lousy euros. Hard to understand, but I am happy to do whatever is required to play the game.

Can anyone help with advice please?

Shreveport...
reviews: 63
1. Re: Visa card payment for seat reservation refused by Vueling

I had this same experience several weeks ago for tickets ( not airline mind you but museum tickets in Spain) I was using ( or trying to use) our Visa Chase. I tried several times calling the credit card before the transaction, after it was turned down, etc. finally after several tries I gave up. I tried a different bank card. Went through right away. Try another card.

Brisbane, Australia
2. Re: Visa card payment for seat reservation refused by Vueling

Tried using my Visa debit card and also got refused.

To boot, Vueling lists just a few cards as options from which to select. My other alternative is not listed. Am I really faced with having to obtain say, a Master card, just to attempt to pay a 24 euro bill - and still risk rejection. I wonder if this arises because I booked through a third party agency and paid through them, and so Vueling have no record of my card in relation to this booking? (That just occured to me!)

I have emailed them - and they have been responsive with some other difficulties that have arisen with this third party booking (never again!). So I live in hope.

Any other suggestions? Solutions? Please?

Poulton-le-Fylde, UK
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
reviews: 61
3. Re: Visa card payment for seat reservation refused by Vueling

I suppose they have confirmed your flight is actually booked? Can you not go through the 3rd party agent to pay for your seats?

australia
reviews: 17
4. Re: Visa card payment for seat reservation refused by Vueling

The reason is probably due to third party....who did you book with?

No great drama not paying to select seats given the time of year the plane may not even be full, save yourself 24 euros

Brisbane, Australia
5. Re: Visa card payment for seat reservation refused by Vueling

Thanks for stoking that repressed fear Arandora - I have had that discussion with Vueling and they have reassured me, several times, that my booking is made. But at one stage the thought had crossed my mind. The third party (head in hands to hide embarrassment) is eDreams. Once they have flicked you through to the airline they want nothing to do with you it seems. Even their "club" page has no heading under which they retain and display your booking history with them. I am not sure how I would go back to them to secure seating.

The only reason, jagjetfly, that I am wanting to secure seats is that it allows for instant check-in - so that I don't have to do that while on the road. I loathe having to worry about logging in while travelling - Murphy's law applies, well at least to me with IT on the road.

australia
6. Re: Visa card payment for seat reservation refused by Vueling

Well your not travelling with Ryanair so you are allowed to check-in at the airport and deal with a human being at no cost.

Personally I prefer to do that...if you cannot select a seat what makes you certain you will be able to do on-line check-in ...fueling fear :)

Also did you check this bit:

Most airports allow you to travel if you've checked in online, but there are certain airport which do not provide this service.

rural West Aussie
Destination Expert
for Perth
reviews: 52
7. Re: Visa card payment for seat reservation refused by Vueling

"I am wanting to secure seats is that it allows for instant check-in"- are you sure about that? We almost always select seats on our various flights but still have to check in at some point before we fly.

Brisbane, Australia
8. Re: Visa card payment for seat reservation refused by Vueling

Might have put that badly - or maybe I misunderstand the concept of "online check-in". Vueling require that you check-in online in advance of the flight (for no charge) - and I assume print a boarding card at home. Check-in is possible at the desk, but that comes with a charge.

If you pay to select a seat, check-in online is available immediately. If you do not select and pay for a seat in advance, check-in is available 7 days before the flight and up to 4 hours before the check-in desk opens on the day of the flight.

Have I got that right?

I am used to full service airlines where you identify yourself at the check-in and are assigned seating and drop your bags. So the compulsory sense of online check-in with discount airlines is new to me and maybe I have got it wrong.

I would really appreciate a comment please on the above. Thanks.

australia
9. Re: Visa card payment for seat reservation refused by Vueling

Where does it say you have to do on-line check-in..hunted high and low on the website it doesn't look mandatory to me

Just do what you normally do show u at checkin and get your seat boarding pass and drop your bag

Edited: 9:10 am, April 06, 2013
rural West Aussie
Destination Expert
for Perth
reviews: 52
10. Re: Visa card payment for seat reservation refused by Vueling

I've looked at the Vueling site as has jagjetfly and agree that it doesn't say you _must_ check in online, only that you _can_. (Personally I find it a lot more convenient and you get the better seats :-) .) Charges for desk check in were not mentioned (I'm not disputing that they may exist) so I can't comment on that other than to ask what the difference is between paying for a seat to check in online immediately, or paying at the check in desk just before your flight as you seem to prefer to do?