We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

No vgml meals on Qatar Airlines

Baileys Crossroads...
No vgml meals on Qatar Airlines

I recently flew Qatar Airlines round trip from the US to China. As always, I order a vgml meal before flying. The meals I was served were not vegan meals. On one segment of the flight I was served a sandwich with eggs. On another segment of the flight I was given cheese.

I contacted their customer service at the end of my flight to complain. It took them more than 1 month to reply. They claim that according to their investigation, I wasn't served a meal with eggs. Next time I'll be sure to mail them the barf bag as evidence. Hardly the kind of service that one would expect from a company that prides itself as being a "5-star airline."

Nowy Sacz, Poland
Destination Expert
for Poland
reviews: 42
1. Re: No vgml meals on Qatar Airlines

And you joined TA just to complain about an egg and a cheese sandwich? Given the "special meals" of any and all airlines are not guaranteed, I'd say you were pretty lucky to get a veggie sandwich. Cabin crew can only serve up what's loaded, and if you're really serious about a choice or a medical need, you ought to bring it with you or buy at the airport.

Italy
Destination Expert
for Livigno, Lombardy
reviews: 127
2. Re: No vgml meals on Qatar Airlines

I have to say I'm not a vegetarian but if you order a special meal when you book or before you leave I think you would expect to get it or they shouldn't offer the service then passengers would organize there own.

London, United...
reviews: 23
3. Re: No vgml meals on Qatar Airlines

I think I agree a bit with you both,

On one side, if they offer it, you have a right to expect it, they should deliver, on the other side, I can't perceive I would see this as so significant I had to not only complain to the airline but also come on TA to publicly complain,

I guess it's about tolerance levels, I've been on flights where they ran out of food, even water, and I just buy something like chocolate or crisps from the duty free, or I eat whatever snacks I make sure I have with me.

Annoying yes, but not significant enough for me, to make a big deal of, I guess we are all different. It certainly would not make me think Qatar deserved a lower star rating or encourage me not to fly them again.

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
reviews: 5
4. Re: No vgml meals on Qatar Airlines

Did you not contact Qatar during your trip to either complain, or at least make sure that the correct special meal code had been input to your reservation? At least after two segments, I would have suspected an error in the booking of the meal. That way, if it was a simple error, it could have been corrected for your return flights.

Milan, Italy
Destination Expert
for Ho Chi Minh City
reviews: 13
5. Re: No vgml meals on Qatar Airlines

You should have used Turkish airline, the only airline with a web site where it seems impossible to order a standard meal so I choose Fish. I changed 5 planes (one broken) and the fish were following me even in the toilets...

London, United...
6. Re: No vgml meals on Qatar Airlines

Lol..

Baileys Crossroads...
7. Re: No vgml meals on Qatar Airlines

I did John because I think its a very big deal. There is a certain standard that airlines should follow.I didn't blame the flight crew. But it is something that the airline should take responsibility for. The fact that they refuse to be accountable for their mistake shows poor management. Maybe that should have used that as my topic header.

Baileys Crossroads...
8. Re: No vgml meals on Qatar Airlines

The problem was that the meal said 'vgml' but in fact it wasn't. They don't dispute that it is what I ordered - they dispute what I was served.

Nannup, Australia
9. Re: No vgml meals on Qatar Airlines

There are different codes for different types of vegetarian meals. Perhaps you inadvertently ordered a different type of vegetarian meal than you thought. Perhaps they misread your order. Who knows?

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
reviews: 5
10. Re: No vgml meals on Qatar Airlines

>> There are different codes for different types of vegetarian meals. Perhaps you inadvertently ordered a different type of vegetarian meal than you thought. Perhaps they misread your order.<<

According to QF's website, VGML is Vegetarian-non-dairy meal, "Free of meat, poultry, fish, milk-dairy products, cheese, eggs and honey". That sounds vegan to me.

qatarairways.com/global/en/special-dietary-r…

And 330miker330 has answered the follow up about miscomminication in his answer #8 to me. So, it does look as though 330miker330 suffered from an error of some sort. And surprisingly - as I read it - on all four flights.

I would write again, politely pointing out that the meal, correctly coded/labeled as VGML, was actually not, and suggest that they investigate this with their catering contractor.