We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

transatlantic flight with 7 year old

Indianapolis...
transatlantic flight with 7 year old

Going to europe to see family in june. Flying IND to PHL, PHL to MUC, then MUC to NUE. It is just me and my daughter on us airways. When we land in MUC, it will be 8 am there, but only 2 am body time. we have a three hour layover. any tips to help her adjust and help me stay focused while working off of so little sleep?

Calgary, Canada
reviews: 44
1. Re: transatlantic flight with 7 year old

I flew a lot with my daughter at around that age...

Really you just power through. Try and sleep on the plane (she will probably have better luck than you) freshen up, rehydrate and stretch your legs in Munich.

When you arrive at your destination - spend some time exposed to fresh air and natural light and try to go to bed at the right local time. Melatonin may help but I'm sure on its usage in children.

Have fun :)

UK
reviews: 90
2. Re: transatlantic flight with 7 year old

I agree with Afrcandaisy, there are no magic tricks, get natural daylight when you can and try to stay up until early evening at least. If a nap is called for get it as early in the morning as possible rather than say later afternoon out of exhaustion when that means you then cant sleep at night.

As AD says, I'm sure she will find it easier to sleep on the plane than you :-)

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
reviews: 62
3. Re: transatlantic flight with 7 year old

I always try to sleep on my overnight flights to Europe. I try not to think about what time it is back home.

When I arrive I am always excited enough to stay awake and walk around outside. I may have an early dinner and go to sleep early that night but I don't take a nap in the PM.

Everyone travels differently! I am prone to motion sickness so taking an anti motion sickness pill before the flight also helps me sleep. Of course I wouldn't give that to a child unless the doc says it is OK.

Indianapolis...
4. Re: transatlantic flight with 7 year old

Thanks for the great advice! She has flown before many times but only 2.5 hr legs to Florida, and only on tiny Boeing 717, so an a330 is going to be a big change for her! I am not new to flying to Europe however I have always gone into Frankfurt so muc will be a nice change, maybe calmer.

London, United...
reviews: 23
5. Re: transatlantic flight with 7 year old

as daisy says, just power through. Kids are surprisingly resilient and the excitement of new places will keep her awake, so dont be concerned.

the issue will come later, when you settle at your destination....

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
reviews: 51
6. Re: transatlantic flight with 7 year old

Rise early on the day of travel, several hours earlier. If you normally get up at 7am then get up at 5am or 4.30am. Keep yourself busy during the day and then you'll be ready to sleep when you get onboard if even it's early by your normal standards. Don't eat on or just before the flight or just have a light bite of something. With the short overnight flights to Europe it really helps to prepare for the flight this way.

Also your airline of choice can make a big difference. I fly British Airways whenever I go to Europe (it helps I'm usually flying to London anyways) and they have a very good Sleeper Service for business and first class if you're in the market for it. They have their own dining rooms in the lounges of most of the east coast airports where you eat and then when you get onboard they have minimal service to help people sleep. In business it's almost nothing but in first class they do offer a full meal still if you want it, in the case of the latter though I rarely see anyone bother partaking. They also then do very little breakfast service with view to passengers using their arrivals lounge where you can shower and get a hot breakfast, massage etc. once you land. It's so good and effective I use it even if my final destination is elsewhere in Europe. After a short overnight I find a good shower makes the world of difference.

7. Re: transatlantic flight with 7 year old

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, April 06, 2014