We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Air Canada flight from Heathrow to Las Vegas via Calgary

LONDON
Air Canada flight from Heathrow to Las Vegas via Calgary

Will I have to go through US Customs and Immigration at Calgary. I am flying on the 12.05.2013

and from the Flight times I have a just over 3 hour layover in Calgary

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
reviews: 53
1. Re: Air Canada flight from Heathrow to Las Vegas via Calgary

Yes, Calgary has US border preclearance.

Calgary, Canada
reviews: 41
2. Re: Air Canada flight from Heathrow to Las Vegas via Calgary

When you land at YYC you first clear Canadian Immigration, collect your bags, pass through Customs and then leave the International Arrivals area. Up one level is the US departure area. If you have a boarding pass for your LAS flight you then proceed straight through to US pre-clearance where you do US Immigration, customs, drop your bags and then clear security. You have to fill out a USCBP form before you enter the pre-clearnace area.

3 hours should be plenty of time under normal circumstances.

Be aware that the US departure gate area is rather sparse in terms of facilities....there is a Starbucks, an uninspiring bar and a Relay type newsagent/ convenience store. So if you're hungry and thirsty.....yeah.

3. Re: Air Canada flight from Heathrow to Las Vegas via Calgary

So at YYC:-

Canadian immigration

Collect bags

Canadian customs

Leave international arrivals

Enter US departure area

US pre-clearance

US immigration

US customs

Drop bags

Security clearance

Sparse US departure gate area

Have I missed anything? Don't think I'll be visiting North America anytime soon!

Syracuse, New York
Destination Expert
for Seven Mile Beach, West Bay, Syracuse
reviews: 69
4. Re: Air Canada flight from Heathrow to Las Vegas via Calgary

Well, things are made more complicated because you are compressing the arrival procedures for two countries into one airport, so there are going to be tons of steps - the good part is that once you get to your destination in the US, you won't have to worry about anything more than a normal domestic US flight - in other word,s pick up your bags and you're out! I'd rather do that while I am hanging around at an intermediate airport, and just get out once I get to my destination!

Calgary, Canada
5. Re: Air Canada flight from Heathrow to Las Vegas via Calgary

OK don't visit thats fine...

You can't walk into one country (Canada) and not do its entry formalities, just because you're transferring to another country (the US). USA pre-clearance is a huge benefit in my opinion. As TravellingBrit points out - it makes the arrival, or subsequent connection, at an American airport much easier.

...and I merely pointed out the sparseness of the US departure area as a courtesy to the OP. A whole new terminal is being constructed at YYC and hopefully it will be better then.

Newmarket, Canada
reviews: 36
6. Re: Air Canada flight from Heathrow to Las Vegas via Calgary

It's not that complicated at all connecting airports. In some Canadian airports, you don't need to head to the main Canadian customs hall and claim baggage. You instead head to a transfer desk for a check of your papers, and then to US immigration and customs without need to claim your bags. Instead, images of the bags are relayed to the officers and they need only be pulled if they want a further inspection. So the process does vary by airport, but no matter which one you connect through, when you get to the US, you just grab your baggage and go.

As Africandaisy points out, they are building a new terminal at YYC. I expect once complete, connections would be smoother, like the processes in YUL, YYZ and YVR.

LONDON
7. Re: Air Canada flight from Heathrow to Las Vegas via Calgary

Thank you for the infomation, as it was stated it is better doing this at Calgary whilst awaiting my onward flight to Vegas and not at Vegas where who knows how long it can take,. Just one question if I have not a boarding card for onward journey to Vegas I assume I book in at the Air Canada booking in area as normal. Also what is A USCBP form

Calgary, Canada
8. Re: Air Canada flight from Heathrow to Las Vegas via Calgary

If you don't have a boarding pass you will get one at the Air Canada desk, in the US departures area, which is in front of the US pre-clearance area. However if you are on one ticket, and especially if you are flying both legs on Air Canada, there is no reason why they would not give it to you when you check in at LHR.

Its the Customs Declaration form for the US...they are found on tables in the check-in area.

LONDON
9. Re: Air Canada flight from Heathrow to Las Vegas via Calgary

Once again thanks for the info. least I know what to expect and where to go on arrrival at Calgary. I will ask when I book in at Heathrow re boarding card for Vegas as all my flights are with Air Canada.

Calgary, Canada
10. Re: Air Canada flight from Heathrow to Las Vegas via Calgary

Oh, and when you arrive in Calgary you will see elderly people standing around dressed in red waistcoats and white cowboy hats - they are volunteers who will point you in the right direction, and answer any other questions you my have. They are really nice to have around.