Lan has moved our flight next Thursday from Buenos Aires to El Calafate. We are due to join a Glacier Cruise for 3 days on the 12 April. Booked the flights in January to arrive a day earlier into El Calafate now LAN can not get us there in time to meet the ship. I have been fighting with them for a week now and not getting any service at all. The situation is complicated with them making refunds difficult see below. The flight is on a LAN Pass so to cancel the flight they have moved they tell me they have to cancel the whole booking, so the three flights and I need to re book the other 2 flights I need but now the seats are super expensive and this will cost me US$1,035 dollars more.
Here are the details that they have requested which I sent them 34 hours ago. They sent an automated reply saying "Our service commitment is that we will respond to all requests within 24 hours of receipt', well guess what still no reply.
I have a thread running on the Buenos Aires forum but a member has suggested I post it here as someone may have some helpful advice for me. Thread: tripadvisor.com.au/ShowTopic-g312741-i979-k6…
I am totally stressed with the flight next week. So if anyone can help me I would really appreciate it.
Lan requested that I send them all the details of my dealings with the Customer Service Center so this is what I sent them:
After 7 days of phoning them, speaking to 9 different staff and waiting for 6 return phone calls from a Supervisor, that have not been received, I have today been told that I need to email them all the details. This took me 5 hours to get the information together and type up today. I have spent days trying to sort this mess out.
I will post the outcome when I hear. The problem is the time delay between Australia and Santiago with it taking an extra day. These flights are in 8 days time.
This is the email of all the details for those of you that are interested.
To Lan Airlines:
We have been trying to sort out a change of LAN flight for nearly a week now. Pam has phoned the 1800 558 129 number on numerous occasions, waiting on the line to talk to someone for very long periods and then not being able to get the problem fixed but promised that we would get a phone call back but no phone calls ever got returned.
Pam was speaking to Sharlene in your office this morning and she said we need to email you with the details of our booking. Below you will find all the details of Pam’s contacts with LAN together with a suggested resolution to these problems. This has taken Pam 5 hours to prepare and write today.
This request needs to be addressed as a matter of urgency as the flights involved are next week.
We have a problem with the flight that was changed by Lan from Buenos Aires to El Calafate on 11 April transferred to 10 April and then transferred to 12 April. We arrive into Santiago with Qantas on flight QF 27 at 10.55 (the flight time has changed since the attached ticket was issued) on 10 April and we need to be in El Calafate by midday on 12 April to meet the Santa Cruz ship that we are booked on.
These are the sequence of events:
Please note that these are Perth, Western Australia times quoted and the spelling of some of the staff names may not be correct. All 9 phone calls and contacts have been made by Pam who provided two telephone numbers for return calls but no return calls were ever received to either number and she explained that we were in Perth, Western Australia.
• 24 March – Email received at 10.39pm advising that the flight from Buenos Aires to El Calafate has been moved to 10 April departing at 15.00. This email was not read by us until 26 March.
• 26 March - phoned the 1800 558 129 telephone number, which we now understand is the Santiago Call Centre and I spoke to Jefferson at 9.30am and explain that we can not meet the 10 April flight at 15.00 because our flight from Santiago to Buenos Aires on 10 April does not arrive into Buenos Aires until 16.35. I also advised that we are arriving into Santiago from Sydney with Qantas on QF27 at 10.55. I was told the matter would be referred to a supervisor and someone would phone me back. As I did not receive a return call I phoned back at 12.30pm and asked for Jefferson and was told he did not work there and went through the story again with Uralaumb who said someone would phone me back. No phone call was ever received back.
• 27 March – phoned back on 1800 558 129 and went through the story again with another staff member and was told someone would phone me back but no return call has ever been received. A staff member advised me that they do not believe that LAN can offer me a flight to El Calafate to meet the ship so LAN will provide a refund of the ticket but I was told because the flight is on a LAN Pass the whole reservation will have to be cancelled and the 2 flights I still need, Santiago to Buenos Aires and El Calafate to Buenos Aires, will have to be rebooked. When I checked this possibility it was going to cost us A$2,247.80 with only a refund of A$1,213.20 on the reservation. I asked if LAN could book us the flight with another airline and I was told that LAN does not have agreements to do this. We had no other choice at this stage than to book a flight with Aerolineas Argentinas on 11 April and had to do so this day as the seats were becoming limited. This costs us a further A$541.85. I was told the matter would be referred to a Supervisor and someone will call me back but no return phone call was received.
• 28 March – I phoned your Sydney office and she advised I needed to phone 1800 221 572 and speak to the Reservation Supervisor Sandra. I phoned the 1800 221 572 number around 9.30am and was told Sandra was not available so I left a message for her to phone me back. With no return call at 11.30am (2.30pm Sydney time) I phoned back and asked for Sandra and was told Sandra had left and the office was now closed until 2 April.
• 29 March 9.30am – phoned back on 1800 558 129 and spoke to Sabina who I told the story again to and she promised that she would phone me back within 30 mins. I told her that I had received previous promises but nobody phones me back and she assured me she would phone back. At 12.10pm after no phone call I phoned back on 1800 558 129 and was told there is no Sabina that works there. I spoke with Yermon who advised that the Supervisor was not available. I asked him to leave a message for the Supervisor and he told me that he could not leave a message for the supervisor to phone back because he did not know which supervisor was on the next shift.
• 30 March – I phoned Qantas to see if we can move our flights to a day earlier or if they can help us but to change our flights it would cost around A$1,371 more per ticket so a total of A$2,742 extra.
• 31 March (it may have been the 30th) – I log into My Trips on the LAN website and notice that our flight from Santiago to Buenos Aires had been changed to a departure time (around 9.30am) before we arrive into Santiago. No email was received to advise us of that. I phone the 1800 558 129 number and speak with Consuelo and explain to him that we can not meet the changed flight. I also explain to him the problem with the Buenos Aires to El Calafate flight and he understands that LAN can not offer me a flight to El Calafate that suits our needs. He tells me that to change the departure time of the Santiago to Buenos Aires flight on 10 April to a later time he will need to change the Buenos Aires to El Calafate flight now showing on 10 April to 12 April because the booking system will not allow him to change a flight where the following flight leaves before the previous flight arrives. He said the only way to fix it was to move the Buenos Aries flight to 12 April, so he proceeded with these changes. A confirmation email of the changes followed and these details are below.
• 2 April – I phoned the 1800 221 572 Sydney office number and waited for 55 mins before the call was answered and I asked for Sandra (the Supervisor) and Sharlene told me she is not available so I explain my problems again to her and she told me that I have agreed to the change of the Buenos Aires to El Calafate flight on 12 April and that can now not be refunded. At no point in my conversations with Consuelo did he inform me that changing this flight to 12 April will not allow me a refund on the flight. If I had understood that I would not have agreed to change the flight.
I contacted our Travel Insurance Company Zurich Australia and they have advised me that it is LAN that has to correct these problems so Travel Insurance will not apply.
We booked these flights on 2 January through the LAN Australia website because we could not find a Perth Travel Agent who would book LAN flights within South America. Pam has spent a large amount of hours over 7 days holding on LAN telephone lines trying to sort this problem out talking to 9 different staff members with promises of 6 return calls that never came and staff members I can not talk to again because she was told they do not work there. This has caused us a huge amount of stress and anxiety over the past 9 days particularly when we leave now in 7 days and will continue to cause us stress until a favourable reply is received from LAN.
As the tickets have been issued with the address of Level 12, 403 George Street, Sydney, NSW 2000, Australia then we understand that Australian Consumer Law will apply.
Our resolution request
This is our request to solve all the problems that LAN has created for us:
• Reservation is to be cancelled.
• LAN to immediately book the Santiago to Buenos Aires flight on 10 April as early as possible after our 10.55 arrival with Qantas and the El Calafate to Buenos Aires flight LA4431 at 19.10 on 15 April on a new Reservation number at no further cost to us. As our Santiago to Buenos Aires flight was changed from a 13.30 departure to a 17.25 departure, because there are no economy seats available on the 15.00 flight, as a matter of good will and to compensate us for this stress and anxiety we believe that LAN should upgrade us to Premium Business Class on the Santiago to Bueunos Aires flight LA445 at 15.00. We are in our mid to late 50’s and having to spend 6.5 hours in Santiago Airport after the long flight with Qantas will be very uncomfortable for us.
• The Buenos Aires to El Calafate flight on 12 April be fully refunded to us at A$210 each, total A$420.
• Qantas ticket for arrival into Santiago
• LAN email for change of Buenos Aires to El Calfate flight
• Email from Santa Cruz ship for arrival time required into El Calafate on 12 April
• Email for change of Santiago to Buenos Aires flightEdited: 12:06 pm, April 03, 2013