We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Why no BA flights to Palma Majorca?

Surrey UK
reviews: 25
Why no BA flights to Palma Majorca?

Well apart from summer flights from London city airpoft using an Embraer commuter jet?

Palma is a major holiday, not a business, destination so this scheduling is very strange. Is there some "political" funny business going on here?

Oxford, United...
Destination Expert
for St Barthelemy
reviews: 245
1. Re: Why no BA flights to Palma Majorca?

I doubt it, BA are a business. The bucket and spade brigade would tend to take charter airlines or Easyjet. However, BA450 appears to be flying LHR-PMI on Saturdays and Sundays.

UK
reviews: 81
2. Re: Why no BA flights to Palma Majorca?

How about because they reckon they can make more money serving other routes with those aircraft and staff?

Liverpool, UK
reviews: 13
3. Re: Why no BA flights to Palma Majorca?

"Is there some "political" funny business going on here?" - No, just normal supply/demand in that if a route is not profitable then BA, or any other airline, will not operate it.

UK
4. Re: Why no BA flights to Palma Majorca?

at if a route is not profitable then BA, or any other airline, will not operate it.

=========

It doesn't even need to be non profitable, just less profitable than another route they could operate those planes on instead.

Surrey UK
5. Re: Why no BA flights to Palma Majorca?

But Majorca is a major holiday destination for Brits and not just the "bucket and spade" brigade. I would be very surprised that there is limited demand for direct flights offering reasonable legroom. I have flown twice before to Palma with BA in the past but my continuing "demand" is suppressed by the lack of "supply".

Airline routings are often affected by political tit-for-tatting and i wondered if anything like that is going on here. And whether things would change following the BA/Iberia merger.

Oxford, United...
Destination Expert
for St Barthelemy
reviews: 245
6. Re: Why no BA flights to Palma Majorca?

Well, Iberia also don't think the route is worth bothering with, booking on their website gives flights operated by Vueling - their part owned subsidary

Edinburgh, United...
reviews: 15
7. Re: Why no BA flights to Palma Majorca?

It's a slightly odd question since BA does fly the route (as you mention yourself) but aside from that, it's a route that is well served already by a slew of low-cost carriers.

Cambridge, United...
reviews: 60
8. Re: Why no BA flights to Palma Majorca?

You answered your own question, Palma Majorca is primarily a holiday destination, BA mainly operating from slot constrained Heathrow can make more money on routes with a high % of business passengers.

UK
9. Re: Why no BA flights to Palma Majorca?

But Majorca is a major holiday destination for Brits and not just the "bucket and spade" brigade. I would be very surprised that there is limited demand for direct flights offering reasonable legroom.

======

You're missing the point. Its not about that route in isolation.

>>>>>>Its about what other routes BA could fly instead and if they would make more money.

Especially since, lets face it, punters arent paying for extra legroom, they are happy to pay rock bottom to have less legroom, especially for short haul. Wasn't it you who said you'd never pay the extra for PE transatlantic? Why then do you think people would pay extra for more legroom on a 2 hour flight?

Surrey UK
10. Re: Why no BA flights to Palma Majorca?

Although i would not be prepared to pay for the extra legroom in PE i am prepared to pay for the legroom and other benefits in BA economy vs tbe locost offerings. And i would have thought that the holidaymakers who aim for the higher end villas and hotels in Majorca would prefer BA economy to Easijet etc.

I spose the answer is that all the other holiday destinations i have flown to with BA are also business destinations whereas Palma is probably only a holiday destination and that might explain the absence of BA flights.