We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Premium economy - Australia to London

QLD, Australia
reviews: 21
Premium economy - Australia to London

I'm trying to work out the best premium economy option for flying Australia (Ex Brisbane, Sydney or even Cairns) to London - happy to stopover somewhere for a few nights.They would prefer shorter flight durations where possible so they can get off for a while.

What airline options do I have?

It's for my parents who are in their 60's and are not frequent air travellers. I know that 14hours is going to be tough for them so I'm trying to plan something a bit more comfortable.

What airline is better for PE seats? (the seat comfort, size, proximity to other seats, etc is the priority)

Please help!

Edited: 3:26 am, April 01, 2013
Aberdeen, Scotland
reviews: 206
1. Re: Premium economy - Australia to London

There are quite a few on the market now - leading contenders are Virgin Atlantic, BA, Qantas and Cathay Pacific.

We used Virgin via Hong Kong and loved their service.

UK
reviews: 83
2. Re: Premium economy - Australia to London

When I researched this journey, Qantas PE was consistently recommended over BA PE, and its usually the same price. When booking be very careful, certainly BA and maybe Qantas, put both flights up on their web page,and it's easy to end up booking with Qantas but flying BA or vice versa.

Nannup, Australia
reviews: 24
3. Re: Premium economy - Australia to London

<<it's easy to end up booking with Qantas but flying BA or vice versa.>>

I think that will be less of a problem now that the QF/EK alliance has superceded the old QF/BA agreement.

Aberdeen, Scotland
reviews: 206
4. Re: Premium economy - Australia to London

Here is a review/comparison of BA/Qantas/Virgin for the PE seats

ausbt.com.au/best-premium-economy-seats-for-…

Brighton, United...
reviews: 15
5. Re: Premium economy - Australia to London

BA016 out of Sydney is now on the new 777-300 with the new PE seat and IFE system.....so much better than the older style seating...really comfortable and now flying into terminal 5 at LHR

Perth, Australia
reviews: 27
6. Re: Premium economy - Australia to London

Qantas now fly to Dubai in conjunction with Emirates ... so you could use either airline out of Sydney or Brisbane ... a stop in Dubai for a day or so.

I find people (me included) tend to prefer to stop over on the way to their destination, because they are so excited about going on a holiday ... whereas when they board in London to come home, they just "want to get home" ...

There are some good tours to see in Dubai ... the winter ski slope, some amazing shopping malls, a desert dinner, or even an afternoon tea at the Al Burj Hotel (the one with the sail). It is expensive, but the food and views are amazing.

Madrid
reviews: 7
7. Re: Premium economy - Australia to London

I think that will be less of a problem now that the QF/EK alliance has superceded the old QF/BA agreement.

The new problem is that QF offers code share flights with EK through DXB to Europe,including the UK in premium economy,but EK do not have premium economy on their flights.

For premium economy the only option is QF1 through DXB,as far as I can see.

QLD, Australia
8. Re: Premium economy - Australia to London

Anyone had experience with Premium economy on Cathy pacific? They fly ex cairns (which is easy for us to get to) and this cuts out a bit of flying time. I've been to HK and know mum and dad would enjoy it too.

QLD, Australia
9. Re: Premium economy - Australia to London

Anyone had experience with Premium economy on Cathy pacific? They fly ex cairns (which is easy for us to get to) and this cuts out a bit of flying time. I've been to HK and know mum and dad would enjoy it too.

Bangkok
Destination Expert
for Thailand
reviews: 3
10. Re: Premium economy - Australia to London

If you can get Cathay from Cairns then I would go for that, you need to take into account having to take a domestic flight to BNE and that adds to the journey hassle, so I would certainly go for Cathay if straight from Cairns ( lovely airport as I remember )