We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Heathrow to Gatwick Transfer

UK
reviews: 25
Heathrow to Gatwick Transfer

Hi

I have done some research on this, but would like some opinions.

We are booked on MAN LHR LGW TPA in the summer and have looked at the coach transfer between Heathrow and Gatwick. Bearing in mind we will be four adults with a fair bit of luggage, we have decided to book a people carrier transfer between airports.

I am not concerned about the outbound flight as I have purposely booked to fly down to London the night before the LGW to TPA flight and overnight at the Gatwick Hilton.

The return flight arrives into LGW at 07.35 and then we fly LHR to MAN at 12.00.

I have found a company called Airports Pickups London (APL) who seem to look reliable.

We have one booking reference as the whole trip has been booked through British Airways holidays.

Any thoughts or comments?

Thanks

London, United...
reviews: 23
1. Re: Heathrow to Gatwick Transfer

It is kind of cutting it fine, but if on one ticket, then BA will put you on the next flight with available seats.

Gatwick to heathrow is about 1 hr or so on a good day. However assume you won't be out of the airport and in the car until 08.35, which is rush hour, you will probably hit traffic. However even if it takes a couple of hours, it should be fine. I would not be concerned about this at all.

The truth is, it's probably much quicker to pop into the car and drive for Gatwick to Manchester, than it is to transfer between the two airports and fly. It's a three hour drive on a good day, so you would probably be home before noon if you drove it.

London, United...
reviews: 23
2. Re: Heathrow to Gatwick Transfer

I would also say,a taxi that is a people carrier will cost less than three hundred pounds. Much less than 4 flights and the transport between the tow airports, as well as faster.,,,,,

UK
reviews: 89
3. Re: Heathrow to Gatwick Transfer

We have one booking reference as the whole trip has been booked through British Airways holidays.

Any thoughts or comments?

----------

Yes, why did you ask for thoughts and comments after you had booked and arranged everything and its presumably not changeable except at huge cost ?

I think having a people carrier taxi drive you back would have been well worth considering and likely quicker and cheaper or if you insisted on flying I'd have picked a later flight from Heathrow as 430 is pushing it and you are doing the drive between the airports at peak rush hour.

But that all seems academic now as you can't act on this or similar advice :-)

Berkshire, England
reviews: 62
4. Re: Heathrow to Gatwick Transfer

The main thing I would worry about is negotiating the M25! It can be an absoloute nightmare especially as rush hour.

UK
5. Re: Heathrow to Gatwick Transfer

I'm sorry I must have not written the question correctly.

I'm not worried about the amount of time I have to get from Gatwick to Heathrow. It's the transfer itself. Are these firms reputable? We booked everything through BA holidays including the Gatwick Hilton, so the timing was theirs.

On researching the taxi company I can see that others have had issues with drivers not turning up etc, so I just wondered if anyone had heard of this particular firm.

So thank you for your advice, should have worded my question better, but am not concerned re timing only process.

Froggy I know we could have driven from home down to Gatwick and did consider it, but its the drive after the transatlantic flight that puts me off. I have in my head that everything will run smoothly and we will be able to relax in the BA lounge for an hour before the domestic flight.

Of course if BA hadn't have cancelled the MAN LGW route it would all be academic!

UK
6. Re: Heathrow to Gatwick Transfer

I'm not worried about the amount of time I have to get from Gatwick to Heathrow.

--------

I was going to say " you should be" because at that time of day it could be borderline, so getting a car transfer is a good idea as it may get you there up to 30 minutes quicker than a coach. However it occurs to me that BA should put you on the next available flight if you miss it >>>as long as you booked this as one journey<<< and not separate flights so in that respect the time difference isn't that critical you may just be hanging around Heathrow longer than you'd want.

If you want comments on a particular transfer company then your title should perhaps have that in it ?? FWIW BA do have a taxi service on their website, I would guess its more expensive but shared between four might be affordable and obviously puts the ball firmly in their camp should there be an issue.

UK
7. Re: Heathrow to Gatwick Transfer

Yes thanks for that Joe. I had no idea they had a company that could do it. Am off to investigate that now.

We return to the UK on a Saturday morning. As we have just the one booking reference and its a weekend, I was thinking 4 1/2 hours should be ok.

Thanks for your input.

UK
8. Re: Heathrow to Gatwick Transfer

Someone posted a link to it the other day but I cant find it now. Also, I missed it was a weekend, obviously that helps massively (unless its first Saturday of school holidays :-)

UK
9. Re: Heathrow to Gatwick Transfer

BTW, watch out for "batransfer" - despite the name, they have no connection with BA that I am aware of. I dont know if they are any good, but the name might make you think they are officially allied to BA.

EDIT: Found it and my memory was off, its not allied to BA but Heathrow Airport heathrowairport.com/transport-and-directions…

Edited: 5:30 pm, March 31, 2013
10. Re: Heathrow to Gatwick Transfer

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 6:35 am, June 21, 2013