We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Carry On

Bountiful, Utah
Carry On

We are flying with Delta from SLC to Dublin, Ireland. I have found Deltas carry on size restrictions but they also mention that you can have a personal item like a purse, breifcase, or camera bag it just must fit under your seat. They don't state the size it can be and I am worried that they wil make me check my camera backpack, which terrifies me because I have put so much money into my camera. So does anyone know deltas restrictions for a personal item? HELP?

Liverpool, UK
reviews: 13
1. Re: Carry On

The size limits for carry on are as follows:

"All carry-on items must meet Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) regulations and may not exceed 22" x 14" x 9". The FAA mandates that all carry-on items fit under a seat or in an enclosed storage compartment."

I've never had an issue with my camera bag on any airline as it's significantly less than 22x14x9 - if you think the size of a normal briefcase then you should not have any problems.

kentucky
reviews: 37
2. Re: Carry On

How BIG is your camera backpack? Space under coach seats will vary. How much foot space are you wiling to risk? Can you put some of your not-so-precious items in the checked bag?

Calgary, Canada
reviews: 40
3. Re: Carry On

My husbands camera bag would never fit under the seat in front......its a hefty back-pack. My camera bag is a tiny little thing that easily fits into my purse. So totally depends on the camera and the bag.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
reviews: 14
4. Re: Carry On

One's personal item should, ideally, not be the same size as one's carry on bag, as if that were the norm for many pax, available space per person would diminish even more.

Although not Delta, BA's personal item size maximum is 18 x 14 x 8 in; a bag that size should fit under most seats in Economy and Premium Economy cabins. The presence of an IFE box may limit available underseat space as well.

Sydney/Melbourne
reviews: 41
5. Re: Carry On

My camera bag would never fit under the seat, especially if I'm in a seat with the IFE box in front of me. But it's mainly protective padding.

If push came to shove and it was too big to take on-board, I could always take out the camera and spare lenses, put them into a small fold up shopping bag I always carry and check the monster padded bag with the less expensive peripherals, and just take the camera and lenses with me. Just a thought?

Edited: 7:35 pm, March 30, 2013
Bountiful, Utah
6. Re: Carry On

My camera bags dimensions are

17" x 11" x 6.5"

Arkansas
reviews: 13
7. Re: Carry On

Should be O.K., but remember if you have a carry on and your camera bag, NO purse! About the only other item you will allowed on with is food.

8. Re: Carry On

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, April 01, 2014
Get answers to your questions