We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Vietnam Airlines credit card transaction

Sydney, Australia
reviews: 30
Vietnam Airlines credit card transaction

I recently booked flights with Vietnam Airlines, received the booking reference number, but never any confirmation email. I contacted the Airline and they said the amount (approx A$2,000) was too large for them to process. I broke it up into two lots of $1000, but with the same result and same response. Interestingly enough with the first booking I also tried optiontown upgrades, they had no trouble charging me about $800 (for the non existent flights) which included $23 in bank fees (which I'll never see again). Has anyone else had this problem? I've now booked with Sigapore Airlines and have asked optiontown to immediately refund my money, including the service fee.

Florida - Alaska...
Destination Expert
for Chiang Mai, Chiang Mai Province, Outdoors / Adventure Travel
reviews: 1
1. Re: Vietnam Airlines credit card transaction

You might check with your bank, their system may have flagged the charge due to the country of origin or other supposed "looking out for your interests" excuses.

Sydney, Australia
2. Re: Vietnam Airlines credit card transaction

Thanks Mr Cycling, but no I checked with the bank first and they said it was all set to go, just waiting for the airline to process it. It had also gone through Visa Verisign. The email I received from Vietnam Airlines is copied as follows "We are sorry for the inconvenience due to such a huge amount that the online service can not support you to issue the ticket." It was a reply to a follow up email that they suggested I divide the ticket into smaller bits, which I did, two of $1000, but with the same result. I gave up and went with Singapore Airlines which was slightly cheaper, but not as convenient as it would have been good to have the domestic Vietnam flights all on the one ticket.

Warks.England
Destination Expert
for Myanmar, Yangon (Rangoon), Ngapali, Tossa de Mar
reviews: 222
3. Re: Vietnam Airlines credit card transaction

Credit card companies can be vigilant (tG).

After doing a quick shop at Tesco I got a call on my mobile asking me to verify the transaction. On asking why they said my previous two transactions were in UAE and Muscat & they were just checking to ensure my card purchases were genuine.

The two items were on line bookings the previous day with Emirates and Oman Air.

Just a thought.

Worldwide
reviews: 537
4. Re: Vietnam Airlines credit card transaction

I have had no difficulties with Web bookings on the Vietnam Airlines Website. However, this was only for much lower costs.

I cannot believe that $2000 is a "huge amount" for a full service airline with a business class section.. This sounds like a euphemism for something else. If not a credit card rejection, what...?

If you're going SYD-Vietnam, how about SYD-SIN and SIN-Vietnam - with the latter either by the same carrier as took you to Singapore, or perhaps an outfit like Tiger or SilkAir (or Vietnam Airlines for that short leg which should be within an acceptable price range if their story to you was correct)?

London, United...
reviews: 22
5. Re: Vietnam Airlines credit card transaction

I have to say, I am also surprised any company would classify their own ticket price as " such a huge amount" . Lol.

Surprised also they did not follow it up with..." You're not really going to pay all that, are you?" :))

Italy
Destination Expert
for Livigno, Lombardy
reviews: 127
6. Re: Vietnam Airlines credit card transaction

Be careful that you booked with the real Vietnam airline website as there are fakes going around, you can get more details if you go to the Vietnam forum.

Sydney, Australia
7. Re: Vietnam Airlines credit card transaction

Thank you all who replied to my question. The bank said they didn't have a problem, Vietnam Airlines admitted they did, see quote from previous reply. I think EarthlingOnline is correct that it was an excuse not to accept my payment - I think that however their computer system was set up for the multiple destinations it came up with a price too cheap, hence their desire for me to do individual flights. As replied and suggested by others I actually got a better deal though Singapore Airlines. My only problem now is to recover my money from optiontown (the upgrade company) although I know I will never see my $23 bank charges again even if optiontown do ever refund my payment.

8. Re: Vietnam Airlines credit card transaction

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may repost if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 1:05 am, April 02, 2013
New York
reviews: 144
9. Re: Vietnam Airlines credit card transaction

my agent in vietnam is trying over and over to process my c.c. for internal flights. total only about $ 900. vietnam airlines says can not process.. but MY Bank said no attempt was made according to their records.

do you have any idea how to use the vietnam airlines website with a c.c. ..any tricks? Apparently there is no agent to speak to .. and we are just STUCK.. thanks

10. Re: Vietnam Airlines credit card transaction

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, June 23, 2014