We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

which carrier for domestic flights within usa

Eden Park...
Level Contributor
18 posts
16 reviews
which carrier for domestic flights within usa

Planning on flying from San Fran to New York and Washington DC to LA in September 2013 with 2 boys 15 & 11yrs, undecided between Virgin America and Jet Blue. Any recommendations taking into account safety, overall comfort & service.

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
20,754 posts
5 reviews
1. Re: which carrier for domestic flights within usa

Both have excellent safety records. Both are well rated and the only US carriers to be rated 4 star by Skytrax.

JetBlue has slightly more legroom (34" seat pitch to Virgin's 32-33", both better than the mainline carriers). Both have in seat video with live TV. Virgin charges; I've heard that JetBlue is free but double check that as I may be wrong.

I haven't flown either, but from reading recent reviews, for overall service Virgin appears to have the edge.

Edited: 3:07 am, March 30, 2013
Aberdeen, Scotland
Level Contributor
990 posts
213 reviews
2. Re: which carrier for domestic flights within usa

I flew Virgin last year from SFO to LAS (it was then going onto NY) and couldn't fault it at all. Plane was extremely new - 4 days old!!

Eden Park...
Level Contributor
18 posts
16 reviews
3. Re: which carrier for domestic flights within usa

Thanks very much for the replies. It appears either is a good option.

Jacksonville...
Level Contributor
1,494 posts
199 reviews
4. Re: which carrier for domestic flights within usa

Coin toss. I do love JetBlue's free live TV and Sirius. Those blue potato chips are pretty good, too ;)

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
10,616 posts
49 reviews
5. Re: which carrier for domestic flights within usa

I was a little disappointed in Jetblue to be perfectly honest (I prefer Southwest even with the connections). I think I would go with Virgin America if you need nonstop.

Brisbane Aus
Level Contributor
657 posts
130 reviews
6. Re: which carrier for domestic flights within usa

I would recommend Jet Blue. We flew from Boston to SFO and were very impressed with the leg room, service and IFE.

Eden Park...
Level Contributor
18 posts
16 reviews
7. Re: which carrier for domestic flights within usa

Thanks for the reply. Might do a flight with each.

8. Re: which carrier for domestic flights within usa

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:15 am, April 01, 2014