We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Main cabin extra seats AA 757 & seat back tv's

Middlesbrough...
Main cabin extra seats AA 757 & seat back tv's

I'm travelling to New York in December on a American Airlines 757 after booking I found out there was no setback tv's which would have make the flight more easier. Does anyone know if this will change in the near future? Or is there anyone who has travelled this route what are your experiences?

I also want to ask has anyone purchased a main cabin extra seat? It states on the website an extra 4-6 inches legroom. Is this all the main cabin extra seats?

What are people's thoughts on these seats?

On seatguru I thought maybe row 15 would be best has anyone sat there?

Are these seats worth purchasing?

I am a terrible overnight traveller when I'm tired I can never seem to sleep and just want to prepare as much as possible and not waste my money wish Id gone from heathrow Virgin were excellent last time I visited NYC

Thank you for any replies and advice!

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
reviews: 53
1. Re: Main cabin extra seats AA 757 & seat back tv's

There are no plans for AA to add PTVs to their 757s.

Syracuse, New York
Destination Expert
for Seven Mile Beach, West Bay, Syracuse
reviews: 65
2. Re: Main cabin extra seats AA 757 & seat back tv's

I am horrible overnight too and I do the transatlantics a couple of times a year. I don't mind the Westerly flight because that's during the day and I can stay awake and crash when I get to my destination. It's doing the easterly trip that is killer for me.

I am 6'2" tall and can not sleep unless lying down flat. That means that in Economy I need 3 empty seats in order to sleep at all, and on most flights that's just not possible - the few that are available are taken up really quickly after take-off. Since I normally have to drive for several hours after I arrive in the UK, I have found that I am really unsafe if I have gone a night without sleep.

I have found three possible solutions that have worked for me... first, I found a more involved itinerary (3 flights instead of 2) that got me within 15 minutes drive of where I stay - THAT I can do after a sleepless night, and I just collapse. Second is to use Frequent Flyer miles to upgrade to a Business Class that has fully-flat seats, so that I can lie down and sleep. Third (which is the least practical) is to arrive in the UK and just check into a hotel and crash. Some of the airport hotels will allow you to o that at a reduced rate over their nightly rates.

Since you are based in the UK, the easterly flight will be the flight home - as long as someone can pick you up and get you home, while it feels horrible, it's doable.

Sorry this didn't answer your other questions, but hope it gives you a bit of help...

Seattle, Washington
Destination Expert
for Seattle
3. Re: Main cabin extra seats AA 757 & seat back tv's

BA and AA both operate morning departure flights between JFK and LHR; leave around 8 or 9 AM, arrive around 9 PM. Not the best for people heading to Yorkshire, but terrific if you don't mind a cheap hotel at Heathrow for a night. It really reduces jetlag for us.

For the OP, are you coming out of Manchester? If out of Heathrow, opt for a 777, which does have seatback video.

Middlesbrough...
4. Re: Main cabin extra seats AA 757 & seat back tv's

Fly from Manchester will be getting a direct train when we land from the airport thanks for the advice just wanted to see if purchasing a main cabin extra seat is worth it over an economy seat. Flights are already booked otherwise I would have done LHR thanks anyway guys

5. Re: Main cabin extra seats AA 757 & seat back tv's

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, March 31, 2014