We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travel insurance and flight delays

Highland, New York
reviews: 4
Travel insurance and flight delays

I recently was booked on an Air New Zealand flight from Melbourne to Wellington, with connections to Nelson. Due to mechanical problems, the flight was delayed and eventually cancelled. Air NZ rebooked me on a later flight to Auckland, but that was too late to make a connection to Nelson. Air NZ put me up over night in Auckland and flew me to Nelson the next day. Since the flight delay occurred the day I was going to arrive in Nelson, I was too late to cancel my accomdation in Nelson for that night and thus had to pay for the night that I was not there. I filed a claim with my trip insurance, which was denied because air plane mechanical damage is not a covered reason for flight delay and I should apply to the airline. I then filed a claim with Air NZ, which was denied because they say they provided food and lodging for the night, and are not responsible for a lost deposit.

This seems to be a black hole in trip insurance. I have checked several other policies and basically each said that they are not responsible for lost deposits when a flight is delayed due to mechanical failure.

Has anyone had any success with getting either the trip insurer or the airline to take responsiblity in this situation? Is there a trip insurance that will cover plane mechanical problems?

Thanks for the help.

27 replies to this topic
Brooklyn, NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
1. Re: Travel insurance and flight delays

Didn't they provide you with a free hotel in exchange for the night you lost in your other hotel? Isn't that how they took responsibility?

Surfers Paradise...
reviews: 2
2. Re: Travel insurance and flight delays

International travel plans from Easy Travel Insurance would cover this -

'Travel delay' or 'Missed connection' - "We will cover you if your scheduled public transport from or within Australia or overseas in respect of any individual leg of your trip is delayed for at least 6 hours for a reason outside your control, and for each subsequent 24 hours (or part of that time) from the original departure time." http://easytravelinsurance.com.au/

Park City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah, Winter Sports
reviews: 232
3. Re: Travel insurance and flight delays

I can't see what you lost here and why you would have a claim. You say that Air NZ put you up overnight so you really didn't lose anything. It's not realistic to think you can double dip.

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
reviews: 5
4. Re: Travel insurance and flight delays

The long and the short is that it depends on the policy, and you need to read the fine print before buying the insurance. The policy I use would cover me in this situation.

>> I can't see what you lost here and why you would have a claim. You say that Air NZ put you up overnight so you really didn't lose anything. It's not realistic to think you can double dip.<<

That would depend on what hotel the OP booked in Nelson. If it were a $300 per night room, and the airline gives you a Days Inn or Travelodge, I'd be pretty miffed at what I'd lost.

South Pole
reviews: 38
5. Re: Travel insurance and flight delays

eating your cake and having it too?

i think anz looked after u the best they could....which from my experience they always do and not on the cheap either.

seems like u r wanting to double dip.

Nannup, Australia
reviews: 23
6. Re: Travel insurance and flight delays

Can't see a 'double dip' here. NZ put him up in Auckland where he was not originally planning to spend the night. He lost his night in Nelson.

Sydney, Australia
reviews: 7
7. Re: Travel insurance and flight delays

Well. he wasn't left stranded at an airport, was provided with accommodation and sustenance and did arrive safely at his destination, albeit a day late. What was AirNZ supposed to do? Put him in a chauffeur limo and drive him to Nelson? (along with any other pax that had further to fly to?)

Oh - before I forget - no-one here works for AirNZ, least of all me ;-)

Edited: 11:19 pm, March 27, 2013
Nannup, Australia
reviews: 23
8. Re: Travel insurance and flight delays

Yes, but he was still charged for a night's accommodation at his destination that he could not avail himself of. NZ put him up in what for him was a place he didn't want to be.

And the last time I looked Nelson was on the South Island - I'd like to see the limo ride from AKL. :-)

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
reviews: 77
9. Re: Travel insurance and flight delays

You can argue the OP was no worse off financially. He paid for and had 1 night's accommodation but:

1 it was in Wellington and not Nelson

2 the Wellington accommodation may not have been to the standard he had booked and paid for on Nelson (it could have been higher though!

3 the rearranged flight may have been later than the scheduled flight and may have disrupted subsequent travel plans.

Not straightforward claim but I don't see it as double dipping.

South Pole
reviews: 38
10. Re: Travel insurance and flight delays

actually it was auckland.not wellington.

all the op seems worried about is the loss incurred by not turning up at nelson (he calls it a deposit).'

so theorectically since anz paid for the night's accommo his loss could be zero.

so getting anything back from either the insurance or anz (who have already paid) is to me 'double dipping'.

Reply to: Travel insurance and flight delays
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted