We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

United's LHR security check compared to Paris CDG using UAL?

Franklin, Tn.
reviews: 96
United's LHR security check compared to Paris CDG using UAL?

CDG was so easy. Security was just before the UAL's gates. No crowds. Conducted by employees of UAL. How does that compare to LHR? Do not want to waste time at LHR.

Have flown into LHR but never departed from LHR.

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
reviews: 5
1. Re: United's LHR security check compared to Paris CDG using UAL?

What do you mean by "security"?

At LHR, you pass through the standard airport security (bags x-ray, liquids rules, etc) to go air side into the departure lounge. When you arrive at the gate, there is usually a security check (conducted by a UA contracted security team) where they ask a couple of questions such as "Have your carry on bags been with you at all times? .... Has anyone given you anything to take on board? .... Have you purchased anything other than from the official stores at the airport?" Then you're allowed into the gate's boarding area where you wait for your boarding group to be called. Some people are taken aside for a further search, but that's never happened to me yet.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
reviews: 53
2. Re: United's LHR security check compared to Paris CDG using UAL?

I personally loathe the "at gate security", I like the ability to walk from the lounge to the gate and board immediately without messing about with security.

Park City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah, Winter Sports
reviews: 205
3. Re: United's LHR security check compared to Paris CDG using UAL?

I doubt it was a UAL employee doing security. Never had an issue getting through security at LHR.

Franklin, Tn.
4. Re: United's LHR security check compared to Paris CDG using UAL?

They had UAL uniforms on, dressed like flight attendants(men and women). This was at CDG in Paris. It was the only security check I went through in Paris. We got to the airport very early and were the only ones at that time being screened. I do not think LHR will be that easy.

Franklin, Tn.
5. Re: United's LHR security check compared to Paris CDG using UAL?

The "at gate security" was the ONLY security I went through. Conducted by UAL employees (men and women)dressed in flight attendant uniforms. Did I miss the "real" security?

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
reviews: 69
6. Re: United's LHR security check compared to Paris CDG using UAL?

I cannot believe that the first security screening you encounter at CDG is "at the gate" ! The normal procedure at international airports I have used is:

1 check in, security questions asked, luggage goes through and is screened

2 go to personal security where you and hand luggage are screened in the secure area before going airside

3 at gate security.

UK
reviews: 88
7. Re: United's LHR security check compared to Paris CDG using UAL?

OP, did you enter CDG from another airport, flying in, or did you arrive there by bus or car etc?

Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
8. Re: United's LHR security check compared to Paris CDG using UAL?

If the gate security check was the first security check you went through then you had flown in from another Schengen country, committed several criminal acts as you managed to go from landside to airside without passining through security or the process was so horrendous you have blanked it from your mind.

Hitchin, United...
reviews: 34
9. Re: United's LHR security check compared to Paris CDG using UAL?

It can differ by airport, Schiphol has only a passport / travel document check before you're "airside" and then proper security is encountered as you go onto your pier.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
reviews: 53
10. Re: United's LHR security check compared to Paris CDG using UAL?

I cannot believe that the first security screening you encounter at CDG is "at the gate" ! The normal procedure at international airports I have used is:

-----------------

Quite a few airports have security at the gate only; SIN, AMS, CDG, TXL (although that's a weird airport) to name a few off the top of my head.

The OP hasn't missed anything.