We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Monarch/Avro

Worcester, United...
reviews: 10
Monarch/Avro

Hi we have booked holiday (flight and hotel) via a travel agent and we are flying out on a Monarch scheduled flight. When I tried to book extra legroom seats the travel agent quoted a charge of £45 each way pp as it was booked via Avro ticketing agent, however on Monarch's own website the upgrade is only £18.99 pp each way. So Avro are quoting my travel agent over £25pp each way above Monarch's price. Avro won't quote me directly and tell me that I cannot do it via Monarch direct either. Anyone know any way around this? thanks!

9 replies to this topic
Leyland, United...
Destination Expert
for Playa Blanca
reviews: 31
1. Re: Monarch/Avro

Where are you flying to? Is it definitely a scheduled flight? Is your travel agent adding something onto the prices that Avro are giving them?

Worcester, United...
2. Re: Monarch/Avro

Hi, we are flying to Heraklion, Crete, flight number is ZB914 not MON, which I understood meant it was a scheduled flight? I may be wrong! :) My travel agent are telling me that the price they are giving me is the price that Avro are quoting them.

Leyland, United...
Destination Expert
for Playa Blanca
3. Re: Monarch/Avro

It's both. Flights are usually more expensive through Avro, than direct with Monarch, so presuming the extras are as well, but they shouldn't be that much more. If you've booked through a high street agent I would go in and talk to them about it, but you won't be able to do it direct with Monarch or with Avro. Once you book with the agent, you have to go through them.

Worcester, United...
4. Re: Monarch/Avro

Thanks for your reply. I thought it would be the case! And yes I have been quoted 45 each way pp but i will go back to the agent and ask them to double check again don't fancy four hours or so with my knees tucked up :-(

Crowthorne, United...
reviews: 4
5. Re: Monarch/Avro

Save your money and if you can, AVOID AVRO AT ALL COST. I am not sure why a company like Monarch even deals with them. AVRO customer service is non-existent and once they have your money they won't be interested in you.

I flew with them last week, paid for seats together. When we checked in there were no seats together left. So we had to sit at opposite ends of the plane. No once was interested or cared, and no one would give me back the £24 I paid for this. When I call AVRO I simply get passed around or they don't answer, or I wait on the phone for ages at 10p per minute. I certainly won't be using them again and regret the day I found them on the web.

Leyland, United...
Destination Expert
for Playa Blanca
6. Re: Monarch/Avro

<< I am not sure why a company like Monarch even deals with them.>>

Because they are part of the same group, the Monarch group. You didn't fly with them, they aren't an airline. They're a charter flight only operator. Very widely used by agents, and constantly voted by agents as the best seat only operator.

Crowthorne, United...
reviews: 4
7. Re: Monarch/Avro

Well that answers that - obvious now you mention it I guess.

Anyway, I eventually got through to someone at AVRO who has agreed to discuss the matter with Monarch and I *might* get refund but have to wait "approximately" 28 days. Yawn..... The phone waiting and being passed from pillar to post at 10p/minute has already cost me £4-£5 I guess so net/net I lose out in the end and AVRO are still ahead. I also brought up being charged twice for hold baggage and the answer there is that its because there are two of you on the booking and our systems can' accommodate one set of baggage when there are tow of you, so both have to pay. Its £43 per person BTW so and additional £86 if there are two of you on the booking and £172 for a family of four. They are looking at modifying the system so a single baggage upgrade can be bought but no idea when/if this will happen?

As I said before - think twice before you use AVRO. I hear booking direct with Monarch is cheaper anyway. Personally I think I'll pay a little more and use BA in future. At least you know what you are in for and they do have a customer service unit you can talk sensibly with.

Watford, United...
reviews: 12
8. Re: Monarch/Avro

....and a nice baggage allowance at no extra charge.

Leyland, United...
Destination Expert
for Playa Blanca
9. Re: Monarch/Avro

I've never used Avro for a personal flight, although we did used to use them at work, and never had any problems with them.

If you're booking a scheduled Monarch flight it makes sense to book it direct with Monarch, but if it's a charter flight, you can't book direct with them. There's no point using a middleman for flights, unless there's no other way.

Reply to: Monarch/Avro
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted