We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Passenger Assistance, Ryanair & Holiday Gems dilemma!

Grimsby, United...
reviews: 2
Passenger Assistance, Ryanair & Holiday Gems dilemma!

I'm having a mini panic over requesting passenger assistance for my disabled hubby. He has limited mobility & cannot walk far or stand for long so didn't want to be in queue's for check in & boarding. I emailed both LBA & Holiday Gems (the company we booked the package with) LBA, very politely, told me I need to request passenger assist with the airline - Ryanair. Holiday Gems have told me I can call them to discuss our needs, informing me that the alternative of Priority Boarding will cost £14 per person per flight - adding another £56 to our 'good deal'.This is where I'm getting panicky, as looking at the travel forum I'm seeing Ryanair may not honour tickets booked with 3rd parties. On top of that I'm reading horror stories of disabled passengers being poorly treat by ill-informed cabin staff. Even worse, as I now have no control over our booking, that we get to the airport & find no-one has requested assistance for us at all! Am I overthinking all this?!

30 replies to this topic
Edinburgh, United...
reviews: 15
1. Re: Passenger Assistance, Ryanair & Holiday Gems dilemma!

"Am I overthinking all this?!"

Yes. Call Ryanair and explain the sort of assistance you require. They have a special number you need to call (look here: http://www.ryanair.com/en/questions/contacting-customer-service). I assume you have the booking reference and don't tell them you booked through a 3rd party.

Liverpool, UK
reviews: 14
2. Re: Passenger Assistance, Ryanair & Holiday Gems dilemma!

"I'm reading horror stories of disabled passengers being poorly treat by ill-informed cabin staff. " - Don't believe everything you read.

Contact Ryanair as per the following link - dont tell them you bought via a 3rd party.

ryanair.com/en/questions/how-do-i-advise-rya…

Leyland, United...
Destination Expert
for Playa Blanca
reviews: 34
3. Re: Passenger Assistance, Ryanair & Holiday Gems dilemma!

As long as you don't mention a third party you will be fine. Just for information, in case you weren't aware, you haven't booked a package through Holiday Gems. It will be separate elements, so most likely a flight plus booking.

UK
reviews: 85
4. Re: Passenger Assistance, Ryanair & Holiday Gems dilemma!

You should also contact the airport for assistance prior to getting to the gate.

Worthing, United...
reviews: 11
5. Re: Passenger Assistance, Ryanair & Holiday Gems dilemma!

Hi

Get onto Ryanair ASAP, just don't mention you booked through a third party, especially one so ill informed as to tell you to pay for priority boarding.

Just make sure first you have your Ryanair booking reference before you call. Log into 'Manage you booking' just to make sure.

I am sure your husband will be well treated, you will be boarded last but your seats will have been reserved free of charge by Ryanair. I have travelled lots of times as a passenger in need of assistance and have always been well looked after.

Don't worry.

Jackie

Grimsby, United...
reviews: 2
6. Re: Passenger Assistance, Ryanair & Holiday Gems dilemma!

Thank you all for helping to calm my over-active imagination (born of fear of stressing my poorly hubby - and ultimately me too!)

The only booking reference I have though is Holiday Gems one & that isn't recognised by Ryanair's website.

I have decided to call HG Customer Services & request the Passenger Assistance to see what happens. I'll also call OCS team @ Leeds Bradford for their advice/information.

Leyland, United...
Destination Expert
for Playa Blanca
reviews: 34
7. Re: Passenger Assistance, Ryanair & Holiday Gems dilemma!

I'm presuming then, that is you haven't got a Ryanair booking reference, that Holiday Gems are going to check you in and print and email your boarding passes?

Edinburgh, United...
reviews: 15
8. Re: Passenger Assistance, Ryanair & Holiday Gems dilemma!

I would ask Holiday Gem for the Ryanair booking reference. I would not trust them to take of organising it for you.

Priority boarding only means that you'll be able to board before passengers that haven't purchased this service. There is no special assistance associated with it. Note also that you need to print your boarding pass from home as there are no Ryanair check-in desks at the airport. Hopefully HG will take care of checking in for your and email you the boarding pass since you won't be able to do that yourself without the Ryanair booking reference and/or email that HG used when they made the booking for you.

Ebbw Vale, United...
Destination Expert
for Santa Eulalia del Rio, Ibiza
reviews: 84
9. Re: Passenger Assistance, Ryanair & Holiday Gems dilemma!

You really do need to chase Holiday Gem as it says on the Ryanair site that they will only except 4 passengers per flight with disabilities.

Worthing, United...
reviews: 11
10. Re: Passenger Assistance, Ryanair & Holiday Gems dilemma!

Hi

Holiday gems can't do anything, they had no right to book the flights in the first place. A quick call to Ryanair and t will hopefully be sorted.

It is true about the disability limits which is why getting onto Ryanair ASAP is very important. Forget Holiday Gems, they should not have booked the flights and can only cause problems for you if they get any more involved.

Jackie

Reply to: Passenger Assistance, Ryanair & Holiday Gems dilemma!
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted