We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

UA Award seats - May 2013

Newcastle, Australia
Destination Expert
for Vanuatu
UA Award seats - May 2013

At the risk of receiving a multitude of replies stating something like "well no one knows what the airlines will do", or "if we knew that..."...

I am wondering about the likelihood that United will release more award seats for travel this May. I understand these should be booked months in advance etc, however we only booked our international flights a couple of weeks ago.

I am hoping to book either LAX-CLT or MCO-LAX non-stop flights on a Saver Award. I know I can get connecting flights but for my preferred travel dates there is either only First or Standard award seats available.

So any hope more seats would be released for travel in May 2013? I am checking daily but nothing yet, so wondering if I should wait or just book a paid ticket instead.

Liverpool, UK
reviews: 13
1. Re: UA Award seats - May 2013

As you say nobody knows but my view is that it's unlikely that more reward seats will be released for flights in May 2013 - if you have to travel on specific flights on specific dates then I think it's a case of just booking and paying.

You could wait and see knowing that if no further award seats are released then the fare could increase in the meantime particularly as you get closer to May - the cheaper fares normally require something like a 21 day advance purchase.

Bangkok
Destination Expert
for Bangkok, Air Travel, Thailand
reviews: 72
2. Re: UA Award seats - May 2013

Hi,

May is on the front end of the traditional US summer (school) break, and that commonly means full fligts to lower-cost leisure markets-- like Orlando. So just speaking from industry experience, I think your odds there aren't super high..

So, I might focus more on CLT as I bet your odds there are better than to MCO, but then again, it really is a matter of luck (if they do release more or any seats) and are you able to book immediately when those seats hit the inventory.. They're popular, so they won't remain long in inventory.

A second idea... Look at some nearby markets.. In the case of MCO, you might look at TPA, RSW or even he three So. Fla airports; PBI/FLL/MIA.

All 5 put you within a relatively easy drive to the greater Orlando area..

Travel Safe,

Newcastle, Australia
Destination Expert
for Vanuatu
3. Re: UA Award seats - May 2013

Thanks. I was pretty sure there would be no extra seats released from MCO so have resigned myself to either a stopover or paying for these flights. Have checked departure from surrounding airports but nothing suitable.

South Pole
reviews: 39
4. Re: UA Award seats - May 2013

hard enough finding UA reward seats (the cheapest that is) for september!!!!

Edited: 4:31 pm, March 26, 2013
Park City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah, Travel Gadgets and Gear
reviews: 192
5. Re: UA Award seats - May 2013

Don't see much chance. Airlines have figured out capacities pretty well in last few years. Planes are full, fares are higher. I would grab what you can now, can't see it changing.

6. Re: UA Award seats - May 2013

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:15 am, March 28, 2014