We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ticket confirmed, but I didn't have to pay???

Seattle, Washington
reviews: 27
Ticket confirmed, but I didn't have to pay???

I am a very experienced traveler and I recently booked a flight through Vayama. I know, based on the reviews, I should have known better, but it saved us about $400 total. Anyway, my bank account was charged, I was sent a receipt, the e-tickets were issued, I called the airline (China Southern) and I was given seat assignments, BUT the transaction for the tickets just disappeared from my account and the money was returned, I have full funds back in my money available and it's as if I never booked the flight. Knowing the reviews about Vayama, I am terrified I'm going to end up not being able to fly or they're going to get canceled. However, I call the airline and they assure me they've received funds and the tickets are issued. I call Vayama and they assure me that they've also received funds and the tickets are issued. BUT I HAVE NOT PAID! I know this is too good to be true...there is no way this is going to end well for us and our trip, but both Vayama and the airline swear I owe them nothing. Has anyone else had this issue? Any advice? People have told me to just be happy and hang out to see what happens, but given the reputation of Vayama, I just would prefer to be safe as I'm really looking forward to this trip.

24 replies to this topic
Nannup, Australia
reviews: 23
1. Re: Ticket confirmed, but I didn't have to pay???

You obviously need to talk to your bank to find out why the transaction has disappeared.

Tampere, Finland
reviews: 7
2. Re: Ticket confirmed, but I didn't have to pay???

One time I got free tickets to Boston, the company never charged me anything but I still got the ticket numbers etc. Was also frustrated about it that how can it be but all was good when I contacted the ticket issuing company about them and all went well.

I think if you got the ticket numbers, you are good to go :)

Liverpool, UK
reviews: 23
3. Re: Ticket confirmed, but I didn't have to pay???

The chances of getting a "free" ticket are almost zero - although both Vayama and the airline currently say everything is ok there is a chance they could discover later that something is amiss and simply cancel the ticket if the funds have not been received.

Worthing, United...
reviews: 11
4. Re: Ticket confirmed, but I didn't have to pay???

HI

Just keep going to 'Manage your booking', maybe chose seats even if you have to pay for them and move them around periodically. Ask for a special meal, or anything else that you can do with a confirmed booking.

Jackie

Seattle, Washington
5. Re: Ticket confirmed, but I didn't have to pay???

I did talk to my bank and they said the funds were authorized, but that the airline or Vayama never actually processed the transaction. After 48 of authorization, it's standard practice for the bank to just put the funds back into the account if the company never actually takes the money.

Seattle, Washington
6. Re: Ticket confirmed, but I didn't have to pay???

Also, I've called the airline three times now to confirm and they said every time that I'm paid in full, the ticket is confirmed and they even assigned us seats! I asked them why I haven't paid then and they said that as far as they're concerned, they've received the funds from Vayama and it's on them to collect my money. I then have called Vayama multiple times and they said that they're paid in full and as far as they're concerned it's on the airline to collect the funds, but as far as they can tell I have paid. I requested that airline representative send me an email confirming what we discussed. I also requested the same from Vayama and insisted they put a note on my order saying that I've tried to make this right. But both of them say I've paid! I just have a bad feeling that I'm going to show up to the airport and something is going to go wrong...but, seriously...how many more times can I beg these people to make me pay for something that I've already received? I have the ticket numbers, confirmations, everything....

Iowa
reviews: 30
7. Re: Ticket confirmed, but I didn't have to pay???

This is a travel day disaster waiting to happen.

Seattle, Washington
8. Re: Ticket confirmed, but I didn't have to pay???

Yes, thanks. I feel the same way. What more can I do though? They say I've paid. I've tried. I'd just book a different flight, but I'm concerned they'd just charge me some other time and I don't want to pay double.

Beccles, United...
reviews: 35
9. Re: Ticket confirmed, but I didn't have to pay???

You say you paid directly from your bank account, did you give them a credit card number at anytime? they might have taken the payment from that and refunded the bank payment.

It might be worth checking your credit card accounts.

Watford, United...
reviews: 12
10. Re: Ticket confirmed, but I didn't have to pay???

Really strange. Of course if you are refused at the gate it will be megabucks to pay on the day.

When are you due to fly?

Reply to: Ticket confirmed, but I didn't have to pay???
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted