We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Malaysian Airlines

Canberra, Australia
reviews: 10
Malaysian Airlines

Hi TA'ers,

I'm calling for your help for wealth of knowledge once again!

I have just booked an awesome trip to Hong Kong via KL with my husband and daughter. We are flying Malaysia Airlines. I'm also an avid member of SKYTRAX and have read many surprisingly appalling reports reference this airline which was one regarded as World class for service, comfort and safety.

I am so surprised at how many people have bagged this airline out. I have travelled enough to know that there are always wingers and i always come out wondering what in the world the commotion was about . But this seems to be the majority of people don't rate this airline anymore.

Any pleasant experiences out there to appease my mind??

Sydney, Australia
reviews: 93
1. Re: Malaysian Airlines

Hi

We flew Sydney to KL on Malaysian, economy last year on the way to Europe and they were great. We have also booked to fly KL t Paris on the a380 in June. Looking forward to that for sure!

Relax, it will be fine.

Canberra, Australia
2. Re: Malaysian Airlines

Nice!!!! Thank you Mullos. Enjoy your A380 experience ... They are amazing :)

Enjoy France :)

norfolk
reviews: 30
3. Re: Malaysian Airlines

have just flown the new a380 - returned last week. nice aircraft. service up to the usual high standard. food good for airline food.

really - a flight of 13 hours or more is never going to be a picnic. but this airline does its best to make it bearable. the IFE is good, with a selection of recent releases [life of pi, lincoln amongst others last week]. do note - on the flight back from k.l. bar drinks are often not readily available. they do a cabin run with a tray of pre-poured juice, and usually follow that with a tray of pre-poured beer. a request for gin and tonic is usually met with 'maybe later'.

hope this helps.

pam

Canberra, Australia
4. Re: Malaysian Airlines

Thanks a million for your feedback guys! But sadly we are booked on the A330-300 SYD to Kl then Boeing 777-200 to Honkers!

I do love the A380's they are magic I think with say airline who as splurged on them.

I'm just a little concerned about the disheartening rap that Malaysia Airlines are receiving.

Hong Kong, China
reviews: 130
5. Re: Malaysian Airlines

Don't forget, people love to complain. Check whether those complaints are valid-- eg something trivial like "they didn't serve peanuts or hot towels" is ridiculous and should be ignored.

I've flown MAS a lot because they offer such great fares for such a solid product. And now that they have upped their luggage limit to 30kg for economy (HK shopping is amazing! great you have that extra luggage limit, hehe!), they're even better. Aircraft always clean, entertainment is good... solid, solid, solid.

I think the strength of MAS is their crew. I've come across some utterly delightful and genuinely warm crew members, that positive energy shining through even in an economy service setting.

You won't regret your choice to fly MAS. Excellent airline.

Darwin, Australia
Destination Expert
for Darwin, Kakadu National Park
reviews: 156
6. Re: Malaysian Airlines

Flew Sydney KL Penang disadvantage was it was a night flight and there was a wait of a few hours at KLIA. They were strict on cabin luggage (give them a big tick) FAs were variable, one was very rude while the others did their job effeciently and no problems, one was very good. Food ok but in coach airline food anywhere is at the best just so so. Plane ok but like all coach, legroom was poor. Air Asia would have been cheaper for this trip but the timing was not convenient.

A few years ago I flew KL to Hong Kong with them, more legroom good service no real complaint. we left late but that was due to late connections from other flights.

rural West Aussie
Destination Expert
for Perth
reviews: 52
7. Re: Malaysian Airlines

We flew Hong Kong- Kuala Lumpur_Perth with Malaydia Airlines last year and it was great. Cabin staff all very friendly and helpful, meals excellent and DH had no complaints about legroom even though we didn't have exit row seats. We'd happily fly with them again.

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
reviews: 5
8. Re: Malaysian Airlines

I flew Malaysia in December 2011 and was very impressed. I would be very happy to fly them again, though they're now in oneWorld whereas I'm a Star Alliance flier. - tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g1-i10702-k4982927…

They are absolute sticklers for their baggage rules, including carry on size and weight, so be aware of that.

Kuala Lumpur...
Destination Expert
for Kuala Lumpur
reviews: 45
9. Re: Malaysian Airlines

As based in KL, MH is the most convenient choice. Never had an issue from 17 years of frequent flying with them. I love the A380 and the A330!

Bangkok
Destination Expert
for Thailand
reviews: 3
10. Re: Malaysian Airlines

No problems, great airline. I am also one of those that is glad when an airline is strict with carry-on rules