We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Qantas new checked in baggage allowance

uk
reviews: 12
Qantas new checked in baggage allowance

I see that when Qantas and Emirates join forces the new allowance for Y passengers on international flights will go up from 23kg to 30kg. I am off to Perth a few days after the new system kicks in and am wondering if the 30kg is just one piece. If it is I would not be able to lift it! I have called travel agent who said it is still one piece but then I rang Qantas and the customer service lady said she thinks it is two pieces totalling 30kg. The website just says 30 kg. Does anyone have better information before I start to pack? I don't want to get to Heathrow with two pieces and be penalised.

Liverpool, UK
reviews: 14
1. Re: Qantas new checked in baggage allowance

A key factor will be when the ticket was issues as per the website.

qantas.com.au/travel/airlines/checked-baggag…

Tickets only issued after 26 Feb 2013 qualify for a weight allowance of 30kg rather than a piece/weight based allowance.

Tickets issued prior to 26 Feb 2013 are limited to 1 piece x 23kg.

australia
reviews: 17
2. Re: Qantas new checked in baggage allowance

The allowance will move from a piece policy (with a maximum weight per piece), to a weight policy. So 30kgs total for economy and 40kgs for premium economy with the following rules

Note this applies For tickets issued:

- From 26 February 2013 for travel on or after 31 March 2013

Exceptions are

2 pieces at 23kg (50lb) each on QF4021/4022/4023/4024/4025/4026 between Singapore-Narita and Singapore-Haneda

1 piece at 23kg (50lb) on QF3874/3875 between Singapore-Helsinki

If you purchased before the Feb date it will be 23kgs only, obviously Finnair still only allow 23kgs as does the carrier to Japan

uk
3. Re: Qantas new checked in baggage allowance

I bought my ticket on February 26 so I am assuming I can take the 30kg in more than one piece.......is this what the move from piece to weight policy means .....and for sure? Qantas phone lady only "thought" it was so.

Liverpool, UK
reviews: 14
4. Re: Qantas new checked in baggage allowance

If you're travelling before 31 March then the limit is still 1 x 23kg. If ticket issued on or after 26 Feb and travelling on or after 31 March the limit is 30kg with no limit on the number of pieces except for a couple of routes:

"Note: No single item of checked baggage may exceed 32kg (70lb). For tickets issued with an allowance in kilograms only, there is no restriction on the number of pieces within the weight allowance for international travel."

"Exceptions:

2 pieces at 23kg (50lb) each on QF4021/4022/4023/4024/4025/4026 between Singapore-Narita and Singapore-Haneda, 1 piece at 23kg (50lb) on QF3874/3875 between Singapore-Helsinki"

uk
5. Re: Qantas new checked in baggage allowance

Thank you Both.

Sydney, Australia
reviews: 28
6. Re: Qantas new checked in baggage allowance

So does this truly mean that check-in staff are going to look at when each person booked their ticket now to see whether they are granted 23 kgs or 30 kgs on check-in?!

I bought SYD>DXB>BHX tickets i january, my ticket states 23kgs, but will they really not allow 30 kgs do people think/know?

Sydney/Melbourne
reviews: 42
7. Re: Qantas new checked in baggage allowance

They don't have to check.

There are already a variety of baggage allowances, depending on class of travel, frequent flyer status, type of ticket etc. This is just one more to add to the mix.

Your baggage allowance (depending on the terms of the ticket you purchased) comes up on their screen when you check in and they input your name and reservation number.

Sydney, Australia
reviews: 28
8. Re: Qantas new checked in baggage allowance

Fair enough - when I flew SIA at Xmas, they too had just gone to 30kgs, and even though my ticket said 20kgs, they said 30kgs would've been fine.

norfolk
reviews: 30
9. Re: Qantas new checked in baggage allowance

singapore airlines did the same thing as malaysian airlines. they changed the allowance for everyone from a set date, regardless of when the ticket was purchased. so, from that date [14th of feb for MAS] all economy passengers were entitled to 30kg.

qantas have chosen not to use this method and have made their rules quite clear.

pam

australia
reviews: 17
10. Re: Qantas new checked in baggage allowance

qantas have chosen not to use this method and have made their rules quite clear.>>>>>

and have been known to uphold them....