We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Wineboxes on longhaul flights

Stockport
reviews: 49
Wineboxes on longhaul flights

Has anyone any experience of packing a 3 litre winebox in their hold luggage for a longhaul flight? The hotel we're going to is quite isolated and we know from past experience that wine is very expensive, so we're thinking of taking our own! However -

a) Will it survive the journey?

b) Will it cause problems when our suitcase goes through the security scanner at the airport?

Thanks!

Cala d'Or, Spain
reviews: 90
1. Re: Wineboxes on longhaul flights

Well, if it does burst it will make a horrible mess of your suitcase.

Is it really worth the risk?

Liverpool, UK
reviews: 23
2. Re: Wineboxes on longhaul flights

a) Will it survive the journey? - Could depend on whether it's packed in a soft or hard sided bag as well as whether the vintage appeals to a dubious baggage handler as thefts from bags can and do happen.

b) Will it cause problems when our suitcase goes through the security scanner at the airport? - Shouldn't be an issue although as it's not a normal item it might mean your bag is subject to a secondary check to clarify what the scanner shows.

Park City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah, Winter Sports
reviews: 205
3. Re: Wineboxes on longhaul flights

There should be no issue with it. While I've not carried a wine box, I've routinely carried wine bottles - hundreds over the years. Had one break once. Wasn't a really big problem actually. I can't see how any damage would be incurred to a wine box and security would have no concern with it.

Good luck.

Llandudno North...
reviews: 17
4. Re: Wineboxes on longhaul flights

Boxes of wine are in sealed foil bags inside a cardboard box often with plastic around the outside.

I think it would survive no problems at all.

They hold three litres though normally, this maybe more than customs allows you to import into the country so you may have to declare it at your destination.

You would need to check on this as I'm not 100% sure.

:-)

Warks.England
Destination Expert
for Myanmar, Yangon (Rangoon), Ngapali, Tossa de Mar
reviews: 246
5. Re: Wineboxes on longhaul flights

#4 Most DF allowances are 2 litres per person and if there are two travelling you can pool.

I have never had a wine bottle leak/break but I do seal mine in bubble wrap and as an extra precaution also seal the whole thing in a leak proof freezer bag. I think a wine box would be safer.

Only had one major leak in all the years and that was a new unopened mouthwash and did that make a mess!

I should have known not to pack it on a AI flight, they are renowned for problems with hold luggage.

SS

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
reviews: 53
6. Re: Wineboxes on longhaul flights

The real question though is if it's a wine box would you want it to survive? Hmm.

Worthing UK
reviews: 125
7. Re: Wineboxes on longhaul flights

Yes I have a few times and the wine survived. The only problem I ever had was flying into Bali I didn't realise that their duty free allowances were quite low for alcohol. The customs thieves (sorry, officers) demanded a ''fine'' that went into their back pocket, and when I asked for a receipt just laughed. I kept the wine though, and I hoped they spent the £5 wisely!!

Warks.England
Destination Expert
for Myanmar, Yangon (Rangoon), Ngapali, Tossa de Mar
reviews: 246
8. Re: Wineboxes on longhaul flights

Could the OP tell us her destination.

Reason-many airports have a liquor shop on arrival.

Ayr, Scotland
reviews: 6
9. Re: Wineboxes on longhaul flights

I'm going to guess Cape Verde ;-) ok not long haul - but it feels like it!

Edited: 12:13 pm, March 23, 2013
Stockport
reviews: 49
10. Re: Wineboxes on longhaul flights

Thanks for the replies. We're going to the Datai in Langkawi and from memory, the last time we stayed there 3 years ago the cheapest wine was around £35 a bottle. I've looked up the duty free allowance for Malaysia and it's only 1 litre each, so I'm not sure whether to risk taking 3 litres now.

We intend hiring a car for a few days halfway through the holiday so we'll be able to stock up then, but we do like the odd glass or two on holiday and even one bottle a night for the first five nights would probably set us back around £200. Can't remember seeing a liquor shop in the arrivals side of the airport last time, but then we weren't aware how much we would have appreciated it before we saw the prices at the hotel!

In answer to No 6, we certainly aren't wine snobs and I'm not sure what sort of wine you get in boxes in New York, but here in the UK we can get some very drinkable ones for around £20 a box!