We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

TSA Question flying between two USA Cities

Manhattan Beach...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Redondo Beach, Manhattan Beach, Hermosa Beach
reviews: 3
TSA Question flying between two USA Cities

I went on the TSA site and could not find an answer to my question. Our son has a gift he is bringing in his carry on luggage next week, but not checking anything underneath the plane.

The gift is an aromatherapy candle (wax poured in a glass jar) packed in a nice box. I see that gel candles are not allowed on board, but can be packed in luggage checked through.

I know wax can't hurt anyone, but would they think the glass could be broken and the sharp end used as a weapon? Of course now they are allowing pocket knives onboard. The candle will go through X-ray, so they can see nothing is inside.

The candle is expensive, so don't want to risk having it thrown out. Any thoughts? Thanks.

Houston, Texas
reviews: 171
1. Re: TSA Question flying between two USA Cities

It shouldn't be a problem. Since the candle is solid, it won't count as a liquid or gel. If it is gift wrapped, TSA may open it for examination.

Pittsburgh...
reviews: 59
2. Re: TSA Question flying between two USA Cities

The candle is fine.

Just be sure it isn't gift wrapped. On random baggage checks, the TSA loves to open presents.

kentucky
reviews: 37
3. Re: TSA Question flying between two USA Cities

As a precaution, have him print that TSA page regarding candles--just in case some TSA power-tripper wants to argue. He can always ask for a supervisor. Make sure he has plenty of time allowed for security, too.

Edited: 8:45 am, March 22, 2013
Park City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah, Travel Gadgets and Gear
reviews: 200
4. Re: TSA Question flying between two USA Cities

Can't see that it would be any issue but if it is, he could check it.

Manhattan Beach...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Redondo Beach, Manhattan Beach, Hermosa Beach
reviews: 3
5. Re: TSA Question flying between two USA Cities

Thank you for the replies. The candle is in the gift box it came in, but the lid can be lifted to look inside. It will get wrapped at this end. Not checking luggage, he travels light.

Might be a good idea to print out the gel candle statement from TSA though. Thanks.

Houston, Texas
6. Re: TSA Question flying between two USA Cities

>>>>As a precaution, have him print that TSA page regarding candles--just in case some TSA power-tripper wants to argue. He can always ask for a supervisor. Make sure he has plenty of time allowed for security, too<<<<

Printing a page from the TSA site dosen't mean squat. They do as they please, and if you call them out on it, they just give you more greif.

kentucky
7. Re: TSA Question flying between two USA Cities

JDH--totally disagree--not so. I have done just that and it is effective.., Are you tev in disguise?

Edited: 5:49 pm, March 22, 2013
Houston, Texas
8. Re: TSA Question flying between two USA Cities

>>>>JDH--totally disagree--not so. I have done just that and it is effective.., Are you tev in disguise?<<<<

No kyshel. This is my real name, and location. I don't try to hide anything.

I have called them out many times which resulted in delays, secondary screening, and confiscation of ridiculous items. Believe me. They *do* retaliate when you don't blindly follow them.

Here;s a start. There are many more articles, if you care to Google them.

tsanewsblog.com/5765/news/tsa-retaliation/

kentucky
9. Re: TSA Question flying between two USA Cities

JDH--the "tev" comment was sarcastic. He's not "fond" of TSA either. More sarcasm BTW. I have called them out and supervisor agreed with me and I went on my merry way. Maybe it's in the attitude? maybe not...

Atlanta, Georgia
reviews: 12
10. Re: TSA Question flying between two USA Cities

Since it's between two US cities, why not just ship the candle and insure it for the replacement amount? TSA basically does what they want, and there is no way to predict what that will be - no sense taking the risk if he doesn't have to.

-JimG