We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Thai Smile refund problem

Auckland Region...
Thai Smile refund problem

Hello,

I was wondering if any of you travellers have any advice on getting a refund from Thai Smile/Thai Airways.

Thai Smile has a policy that requires travellers to present the credit card they used to make the booking when checking in for the flight. Because my credit card had been cancelled between the time of booking and the actual trip, I was told that I had to re-book the flight and would then get a refund. Even though the clerk at the airport gave me a receipt for the refund (it doesn't state the card no it went to), I never got the money. I emailed them and was promised that the refund had now been processed. Again, nothing happened. I emailed them again, asking whether they had accidentally refunded the money to the old card. I was then told that indeed they had done so because they could only refund the money to the card used to make the payment. Needless to say, this isn't working. It seems they are now also refusing to answer my emails. ... Any experiences/advice would be much appreciated. I just don't feel like gifting an airline money that isn't rightfully theirs.

Thanks!

Jess

Nannup, Australia
reviews: 23
1. Re: Thai Smile refund problem

Have you asked your bank/card issuer what they did with the money that Thai sent to the old card? I have just had to cancel a card, but was able to make a payment to my account while waiting for the new card via the old one. Banks transfer the money from one to the other.

Auckland Region...
2. Re: Thai Smile refund problem

Hi,

Oh ok. Thanks. No, I haven't done that yet. I assumed the money would just bounce back to the airline or else my bank would let me know. I'll talk to them asap. Cheers.

NomadicForever
reviews: 16
3. Re: Thai Smile refund problem

For the future, ALL airlunes require to see the cc you used to book online. Not only Thai Smile policy.

Auckland Region...
4. Re: Thai Smile refund problem

Thanks for your message but I do fly regularly and this was certainly the first time this was a requirement. Normally my e-ticket and ID/passport will do.

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
reviews: 5
5. Re: Thai Smile refund problem

>> For the future, ALL airlunes require to see the cc you used to book online. Not only Thai Smile policy.<<

That's not true. I agree you should be vigilant about this, as several airlines do. That includes Thai Airways - who are Thai Smile's parent company.

I've booked on Thai, been informed that I'd have to show the credit card, and indeed been asked for it at check in. But I've never been asked to show my CC at check in having booked (for myself) on United, American, Delta, US Airways, Air Canada, or BA.

The other situation to be aware of is if you book flights for someone else, as airlines sometimes require that either they carry and show the CC used for purchase, or that you accompany them to the airport and show the CC, which can be an almighty pain, and even impossible if it's for a family member thousands of miles away. If that happens, call the airline and work something out, such as you visit a local airport to vouch for the purchase. I've been in that situation and drove from my house to PDX and got things sorted.

Ultimately it's about fraud protection.

Bangkok
Destination Expert
for Bangkok, Air Travel, Thailand
reviews: 71
6. Re: Thai Smile refund problem

Hi,

I agree that its not an "all" case ... But... It IS very common here in Asia and is due in large part to fraud.

Businesses can in most cases issue credits, or even charges, to a closed card account..

In most cases, the terms of the merchant agreement sets the rules about when a merchant can do so..

Of course, issuing a credit (refund) is one thing- and has a nominal fraud risk to most parties- but the idea they (a merchant) can issue a debit (charge) is rooted in a merchants ability to protect their rights in cases where legitimate delayed charges are later found and are a part of a previously submitted transaction.

Examples might be concealed damaged to a rental car or traffic/parking tickets; or concealed damage to a hotel room or any other rented property.

Thai probably sent the refund in their daily bank transmittal and it should be sorted out by your card issuer when that credit "hits" your closed account.

Travel Safe,

UK
reviews: 89
7. Re: Thai Smile refund problem

Oh ok. Thanks. No, I haven't done that yet. I assumed the money would just bounce back to the airline or else my bank would let me know. I'll talk to them asap. Cheers.

------

Yes the money often goes into a 'catch all' account in the case of cancelled cards and they may simply not be connecting up the dots, it has to be done manually.

8. Re: Thai Smile refund problem

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:16 am, March 24, 2014