We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Buying seats for infants .....

Oxford, United...
reviews: 122
Buying seats for infants .....

This is a hypothetical question ... when I've looked on airline websites and booked tickets they normally have the option of adult tickets, children tickets 2 - 12 (or there abouts) and infant tickets 0 -2. With the infant tickets they are lap children.

So my question is, if you wanted to buy a ticket for an infant but wanted them to have their own seat, would it be as simple on line as literally choosing a child ticket for them and paying the child fare instead of the infant fare, or when you add in a DOB would that muck up the booking? Or is this a case of having to phone up and book tickets. I am apprehensive about phoning up, as I feel errors could occur, or misunderstandings, whereas on line I am responsible for checking details etc

Brooklyn, NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
1. Re: Buying seats for infants .....

Okay, I'm answering this as an American, so I suppose things could be different elsewhere, so keep that in mind.

Here, there are no Infant fares or Child fares or Adult fares. There are just seats. You check the box for how old your child is because it makes a difference in where they're allowed to be seated, but you don't get charged less for children than you do for adults. I didn't think anyone charged less for children than for adults any more, but I suppose I could be wrong.

Lap children are generally, on international flight, charged 10% of the adult price. On domestic flights they are free.

So, when I want my 9-month-old to have his own seat, I buy three seats at full price. I check off that my son is an infant. That way we don't get assigned to an exit row.

Edited: 10:44 am, March 21, 2013
Llandudno North...
reviews: 17
2. Re: Buying seats for infants .....

Some website s ask for the ages of the children like bionic said ie 0-2 2-11 11+ etc but like in the states a seat is a seat and there isn't any difference in price.

:-)

Victoria, Canada
reviews: 45
3. Re: Buying seats for infants .....

I have always bought my kids seats, no lap babies here, and never had a problem just ticking off number of seats and filling in ages of travellers.

Congrats on being a parent who values their childs safety , and comfort ( for you and them ) over money.. I know some of my friends feel differently. We travelled with another family, our 9 month old comfy in her own carseat in her own airplane seat, and their 1 yr old being passed back and forth between them , while they took turns eating, going to the bathroom, and trying to entertain baby, for 6 hours!! We arrived in decent shape, they arrived exhausted , lol

Melbourne, Australia
reviews: 1
4. Re: Buying seats for infants .....

On an international flight it does make a difference to the price as childs fare is usually 75% of the adult fare .

Victoria, Canada
reviews: 45
5. Re: Buying seats for infants .....

Any way you slice it, kids are neither free nor cheap, but hey didn't people realize that before they bred.. lol

I like to save money, I really really do, this is just not the area I would never skimp on.. cheaper hotels, fine, eating some picnics, fine, but saving money by putting my kids in any sort of risk, no way.

Ps , for small babies the carseats that snap into a stroller frame are great. Plus you have the carseat for taxis etc..

6. Re: Buying seats for infants .....

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:18 am, March 24, 2014